Headlight bulb change query, plus related query for Timm

• Hi guys (and hopefully Timm)

One of my low beam bulbs has gone, so I bought 6 x Osram Nightbreaker H1 figuring i would swap all 6 front bulbs out.

But i've got two questions, one for general reply and one aimed more at Timm.

First question is quite simply: easiest way to swap out the six bulbs? If i look here -
    http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm

It tells me to remove little grill and undo two outer screws - am i right in thinking that i will then have access to all three H1 bulbs on each side? Are all 3 bulbs visible once assembly is part pulled out?

2nd question is more directed towards Timm if he drops in - :winkwink: hi Timm -

Timm, i've long thought of refurbing my headlights as per your instructions, however, reading through your page I have been put off by the part where you test for leaks and use sealant to re-seal any gaps, etc.

In short, i like the idea but a bit wary of attempting the whole job myself. So what i was wondering is if you think a PARTIAL job would still be better than nothing - ie, clean lens/ reflectors only?

I'm guessing that would still help improve my headlights, i would swap out all bulbs for new H1s as well).. do you think this will still help?

Also, i'm unsure about access to the bulbs - if i follow your how-to, will i have access to the bulbs? As the method you describe is different to the access method described in the link i attached just above?

hope both questions make sense to you, kind regards as ever, b

• You are looking in the wrong direction. The procedure which includes removal of plastic grilles applies to the FTP light strip.

The 3 bulbs of the headlight pod are easily accessible after removal of the headlight top lid (1 Phillipps screw), lid pulls slightly up in the rear and then to the front.

1 plastic lid is covering fog and high beam bulbs, the other bayonet type lid is for the low beam.

It is a bit fiddly in there - make sure that the notch on the bulbs metal base indeed lines up with the counterpart on the bracket. In case you have the fingers of a butcher ask your wifey ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Ah, thanks Reinhard. This was the initial cause of my confusion, noting that the procedure outlined via Timms guide included removing top headlight cover. And indeed - I have looked in the wrong part of that guide, though still curious to find the correct page anyway!
    Also indeed - I have the fingers of a butcher

• Hi Burn,

I don't know about the headlight reflectors but DO NOT attempt to clean the reflectors of the FTP lenses. The silvering will just come off and you are then looking at replacements. I think one or two people have had various DIY attempts at repairing the reflectors with foil and chrome paints but in the final analysis, replacement is the only option.

Just thought I would get that in quick:winkwink:

Cheers
    Graham

• Cheers for that heads up Graham. I just stumbled over a few posts from various E31 boards saying similar, although such warnings are not so visible relating to the main headlights.

I wonder why the silvering on the FTPs may be more fragile than the silvering on the main headlights? If indeed it is. I was planning on using a very gentle cleaning action on the main headlights using TV cleaner and lintfree cloths, but your warning is making me slightly wary of doing even that, in case I damage it.

Over to Timm maybe? I hope he also gets chance to reply to my query to him in the OP as well!

• I think the FTP silvering suffers more because the assembly is smaller and the plastic gets hotter. Hence my warning in the 'How-To' for the FTP's:

Unless the reflector is covered in grime, leave it well alone. The silvering is vacuum-deposited and extremely fragile

The pop-up lights seem to be more robust and I have cleaned them on my '97 and '99 with no problems. The greatest improvement came from cleaning the back of the projector lenses and fitting the Osram Nightbreaker Plus's.....

• Cleaning the projector lenses is part of the pop-up lights routine as detailed here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/Headlight/Index.htm

Cleaning the FTP front glass is covered here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/E31_FTP_Improvements.htm

It is fine just to clean the front glass and replace the single bulb each side.

• Thank you tim
    Apologies for needing some things spelled out very slowly. To me, a headlight assembly is something to fear, e.g I have no idea what the back of a projector lens looks like.
    i can just about spot a bulb, and gently wipe the glass in front of it clean :oops:
    cheers
    b

• Well, took me a while but done one side! Two hours later :roll:

One of those clips (metal) -that hold the headlight glass in place - pinged out and fell down into the engine. I got a telescopic magnet down into the various cracks and recesses but no sign of it. Probably drop out once in motion i hope.

So, I managed to secure the 3 underside clips but only have two clips on the top.

I've checked RealOEM but struggled as usual :oops: - if any kind soul could point me toward the relevant diagram i'd be v grateful.

• Zitat von BBMatic;106784

One of those clips (metal) -that hold the headlight glass in place - pinged out and fell down into the engine. I got a telescopic magnet down into the various cracks and recesses but no sign of it.

Did exacty the same thing this week, my magnetic tool is not telescopic but it is bendy so I was able to put a sort of 90 degree angle on it at the end and kind of reverse periscope it into various nooks and crannies and ferkle around. Was about to give up when I heard it 'chink' onto the magnet. :devilchilli:

Think the clip is number 16 in this image
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sho…&btnr=63_0027&hg=63&fg=05

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Zitat von shiggsy;106787

Think the clip is number 16 in this image

Thanks Shiggsy! I originally looked at that diagram for about 2 minutes and still didn't spot it. :oops:

Timm- it happened when i was re-attaching the first lower clip :mrgreen: -stupidly (as it was my first try replacing one) i decided to try assist it using screwdriver head, was cupping hand around it but it spun off..
    Later attempts were easier ( using hands only) after tapping one or two of them lightly to reshape.

Lights are much brighter now!! I didn't touch any of the silvering as it all looked supremely clean - except for one tiny scorch mark on one side, i figured that was best left alone. I did polish the lenses inside and out though, even though they also looked surprisingly clean.

Not going to drive after nightfall for a few days in case any moisture remained around/ inside rubber gasket after washing the headlight glass. As I didn't have time to dry them for too long..

The E31 headlamp assembly is very loveable once you get familiar with it. My butchers fingers were struggling every step of the way removing the bulbs btw Reinhard :toothbrush:

• No reason to wait for it to dry. It is open to the elements anyway by way of a vent tube and has a few good sources of heat inside.
    The little clip should not bother you much - 5 is plenty. The only problem being that if you really want to replace it (the one you lose on the road will be gone forever unless you hire a stuntman living underneath the car) for balance purposes of whatever disorder they will shaft you at the dealership. Looks like 20p costs a tenner or so.
    Nevertheless... well done Burn! Now off for something more challenging... :laugh:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;106807

Nevertheless... well done Burn! Now off for something more challenging...

Like removing the headlight bucket to get to the clip.........

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!