High Idle

• Looks like my car is stuck in cold start mode or something.
    I have had an issue for a while where i really have to stand on the brake in D or R or the car will just take off, also it has been running extremely well "off throttle", by this I mean I hardly have to touch the trottle at low speed to maintain it, mostly at speeds up to 60kph I almost have to adjust the speed with the brake, not throttle.

When driving today I put the car in N at a traffic light, at this time I had been driving for almost 30 minutes so everything was well heated up.
    When I put the car in N the Idle was 1000rpm. Much too high, and I think this is also the reason my car maintain speed so well.

When I got home about an hour later, it was back down around 600+ rpm.

What controls the Idle, I guess the DME's, but I they do this based on some sensors, and what sensors control the cold start? intake temp sensors? water temp sensors?

And has anyone seen this high idle issue before?

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• :winkwink: Egil

Zitat von Noggie;111846

i really have to stand on the brake in D or R or the car will just take off

Only when the engine/tranny is cold?
    I had this issue when we changed the transmisson oil and the level was 1/4 l to low.
    When the oil was warm this issue stopped.

:dontknow:High iddle? Sorry, can't help you there...

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• Haven't checked level, the car has done less than 500km since it came from the transmission shop where it was rebuilt.
    I thought it was the high Idle that did it.

I'm taking the car to the tranny shop to let them test drive the car as they was not able to before I got the car back.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Think I found the reason.
    Yesterday when I was out driving my engine kept dropping one bank when the rpm dropped, i.e at crossroads, traffic circles ect it would only run on one bank leaving the car virtually without power, and then at 1500-2000rpm it would kick back in.
    This led to a few situations I was not very happy with.

When I got home I opened my distributor caps and found the one for cylinder 1-6 with a bit of oil in it.
    Cleaned this out, used electrical cleaner, and went out for a drive, was a bit better but not 100%.
    Went to a friend and we cleared the fault memory on the car, and when we started up the engine it ran ok, disconnected the Maf's and there was a distinct change in the engine sound.
    Plugged everything back up and drove home, and since then everything has been fine, Have had the car out for 6 trips since and it has been running on all 12 all the time.

My high idle is also gone, making me think I had spark issues on one bank due to the oil filled distributor cap, and the car somehow compensated for that.
    My transmission is also much better now that the idle is back to normal.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Glad it's back to normal again Egil!:top:
    There is always something with these old cars..

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• Zitat von reinhard;111975

...and how do you think did the oil get into the distributor cap in the first place? ;)

You will likely need to check/replace the shaft seal (17) and gasket (15) behind the rotor - else it is bound to happen again.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22560/

Cheers
    Reinhard

It's ordered, and waiting at Wokkes place when I get there tomorrow :top:

My car was parked for so long that the blow off valve for my compressor was stuck, I think I may have had a pressure build-up in the engine during my first test runs this year after I replaced the crank shaft sensors.
    This may have been the cause for this, but the seals will be replaced none the less.

Thanks for the tip anyway :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!