Valve Cover Removal

• Wow It's frightening this amount of oil ! There is, for me, an only way for the oil, this is the gasket or May be your covers are porous, this the problem with this metal with the years the magnesium become porous.
    I can't imagine this oil come from the spark plug hole LOL

2) Don't use acid on magnesium if you do that you will damage the cover,
    You can use an usual paint remover for metal, use a paintbrush to put the paint remover ( a coat of 2/3 mm) after put your cover in a plastic bag for 24hours
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22665/

After take a wire brush to remove the paint, if needed use one more time the paint remover and polish them.

Just before the paint use brake cleaner to digrease the covers.

• That much oil can be expected if the plugs haven't been changed for a long time - or the PCV valve is clogged-up (as that will produce positive crankcase pressure). FBMWSH is no guarantee that the plugs have been changed for years either! Also, that oil looks black, it's either been in the valve cover a long time or in the engine a long time - neither points to judicious servicing.

• Thanks Marco,

I'll make sure the guys doing the covers know what's what. I mean they should anyway, but... Porous covers. How would I be able to tell if they were porous or not. I'm assuming not so poprous that you'd notice liquid dripping through.

Hello Timm,

Good point about the colour of the oil. It has obviously been there an awful long time. The oil in the engine is pristine, hard to actually see it on the dipstick even. I'm a bit pernickity when it comes to oil and always over-service my cars oil-wise. As for judicious servicing servicing, this is one of the reasons why I've started doing jobs myself the last year or so. Once I started looking at things properly that I'd had done over the years, I began noticing that not everything was at it should have been despite me using a BMW certified outfit!
    I've got new spark-plugs anyway and I'll change the PCV valve just in case. Was thinking about doing it anyway. What else would be worth doing while the covers are off? Timing-chain tensioner (I know you don't ned the cover off, but I can at least see what's going on inside)?

Regards,

Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• Honnestly I don't think you have porous cover so much so that the oil get through, Timm is right when he speak about the black oil, this an oil accumulation years after years of the leaking gasket.
    I guess the last owner never change the spark plug.

Il y a 2 sortes de voitures les BMW et les autres !!!!

840 CI Individual 96
    520d F10 10

• Sorry I didn't mean to alarm you - I've had 6 V8's and every one has looked more-or-less the same give or take a few cc's of oil around the plugs. The last one looked just like your picture and it is a very healthy engine, nothing to worry about at all. The chain tensioner is a good idea, always better to be safe than sorry and all that. As you have had a lot of oil sitting around the HT boots, if you can afford it I would change the contaminated boots for new OEM ones - around £10 each but make sure you get the right ones (Bosch/Bremi):

http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co…age&option=com_virtuemart

• The advice about replacing the spark-plug rubber connectors is good, as your existing ones will alsmost certainly have been damaged. In my view, the oil comes from two places: 1. improperly tightened spark plugs and 2. the rubber seal around the centre of the cam-cover. When I did mine, i used loctite, grey, 5699 silicone sealant all the way around the rubber seals -on both sides - as well as the 'half-moon' area. No new oil leak yet. Also, I ended-up just buying new cam-covers, as the magnesium on the old ones was powerdery and flaky and the new covers were not that expensive.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22732/

of course, whilst you're at it, you may wish to go further than just the valve covers:

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22733/

• Hahahaha Arnie,

Looking at that photo, no, I don't think I'll want to be going further! I am not going to do something like this again unless absolutely necessary; my back can't take it for one...
    I've seen a bit of discussion as to whether the extra gasket sealant is necessary or not, anyone else wants to chime in? In case I do decide to use the gasket sealant Arnie, did you fit the covers back while it was still 'wet', or did you let it cure first? My concern is the lack of space and having to manoeuvre a bit to get the covers in place. I don't want sealant all over the place.

Regards,

Ivan

• It is a real back-buster on the V8, it's not a job I fancy doing again. I didn't use sealant but I did use silicone grease to help stick the gaskets in position and stop them folding when fitting the manifold.

• Zitat von IvanT;112293

...did you fit the covers back while it was still 'wet', or did you let it cure first? My concern is the lack of space and having to manoeuvre a bit to get the covers in place. I don't want sealant all over the place.

Regards,

Ivan

I found that the Loctite starts to cure pretty quickly, so as soon as I maganed to cover all the surfaces (rubber gasket top and bottom), I put it all back together as fast as possible. I do appreciate that with limited room for manouvre, it could end up being messy. (Probably better to apply to the engine part rather than the cover part.) I don't know if it is entirely necessary to cover all the contact surfaces, but if you look closely at one of my pictures, you'll see what appears to be remnants of black silicone sealant on the cylinder head, ex-factory, and not just on the round recesses. Incidentally, I ordered new rubber Dowty washers, spacer-tubes and bolts, but found that the latter actually came comple with the rubber washers.

I do know that before I started the job, that the car has a poor idle, took an extended cranking time to start and the engine would die when approaching traffic junctions etc. It didn't take much more effort to do the rest, which included:

replacing belts and tensioner pulleys

replacing water pump, thermostat and seals

Replaced radiator (totally corroded)

replacing PCV valve assembly.

Replacing 2 rubber caps and two vacuum hoses (deteriorated, cracked)

Clean-out intake manifold and breather tube (full of oily deposits)

replacing breather-tube O-ring seals

replacing manifold gaskets

replacing injector O-rings

cleaning throttle valve assembly (sticky)

repairing, heat-damaged, outer insulation sleave of the battery cable running though engine V

Repainting various pulleys, oil-dip-stick tube and battery cable conduit.

The transformation in terms of how the engine runs now compared to before is like the difference between day and night. The engine is now very responsive and idles very nicely.

• Hello All,

Went to pick up my newly painted valve-cover heads a week gone Friday. To my horror, the body-shop had just stripped and sprayed them; no prep work! I complained that they looked bad and the guy advised to make them look good, they'd have to sand and primer before spraying. "Uh yes" I told him, "That's why a brought it here! I could have done a bodge-job of it myself!" Told him to do it correctly. I went back yesterday to pick them up and the bits that are visible with the plastic covers on are now presentable, but the bits that you will not be able to see when the plastic covers are on, he has not bothered to do. The manager of the shop wasn't there to explain why he'd made this decision. I took the covers away as I want to get the car back together, or at least will have to find someone else to re-do them. I'm not too bothered about the unseen parts been a bit ropey but my concern is that the rough edges around the seal-holes will prevent a good seal, see photos. Please advise as I really want to get the car back together.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/23009/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/23008/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/23007/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/23006/

Regards,
    Ivan

• Hi Ivan,

don't worry about that, you will have the new gaskets(11121437395) in this place, it is important to change the rubber gasket for each hole.
    I you are scare about that, you can remove the paint just around the hole with a little flat screwdriver.

840 CI Individual 96
    520d F10 10

• Hello All,

New spark plugs fitted, valve covers back on with new gaskets. Car started up ok but is making a bit of noise. There's a knock/rattle and a whistling sound (see attached video for noise)!

An advice?

Ivan

• It's hard to say, may be for the whistling sound an air inlet it seems to comming from the front of the engine bay.
    Is the idle is rough?

840 CI Individual 96
    520d F10 10

• The idling is ok'ish, but I wasn't expecting it to be perfect. Remember the batteries have been disconnected so I was thinking after a bit of a run along the motorway it would settle in. Can't take it out for a run though as have discovered a coolant leak (see my other post)!!! Will be taking bits off today to try and localise that. From what Timm is saying it's likely to be, I think I'm going to need a new radiator! The leak was most certainly not there before I started the valve-cover job. I think maybe I've put too much wait on something while working on the covers.
    As for the whistling, I had a bit of bother fixing the rubber boot to the throttle housing body. Maybe I need to check that.

Regards,

Ivan

• I can only hear hissing and what sounds like a tired bearing on one of the ancillaries (pulleys, alternator. compressor or steering pump) - but the sound on the video is not good enough to make an informed conclusion. What I would say though is that you should re-fit the acoustic covers and re-assess the noise. The V8's sound tappy, hissy and growly with the covers off.

• Try removing the oil filler cap with the engine running and see if the whistle stops. The valve covers are under the same reduced pressure/vacuum as the crank case and you may be hearing a vacuum leak.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks All,

With the acoustic guarding (three of the brackets snapped and all the nuts and covers missing. Called the mechanic that took off the cover; he doesn't have them!!!) replaced, it actually sounds fine now. I'll have to check the bearings on the ancillaries that you mentioned Timm. I'm du to do the belts anyway. They're looking a bit ropy so I can check stuff out when I get to that. I have now also a pretty smooth idle. Taking the oil cap off when the car is running TerryY does change the running, but when put back on it seems pretty smooth. Problem I have is I have no point of reference as don't know anyone else with an 8, and have never been in or listened to another one.

Problem I have now is that I still have an oil leak!!! Discovered a couple of drops under the car after a night, and that's after just driving it around the block!!! Also, getting a bit of smoke coming from the rear/passenger side (LHD) (see movie) of the engine. I ran a clean rag around the valve head gaskets and checked the dowty seals, no oil. I've put some paper under the car and will check again tomorrow to try and pin-point where it's coming from. This is getting a bit frustrating!!!

Ivan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!