over heating

• hi guys,
    wonder if anyone could diagnose this problem?! every time i stay over 200kph the car over heats. it never used to do that and i do punsh her hard! plus when a/c is on and im stuck in heavy trafic it overheats as well. then i have to slow down drastically or rev the engine in neutral respectively. small electric fan is working two speeds and the clutch fan pushes out a strong amount of air as well. any fix it myself tips because going to the mechanic this month is out of budget since im installing a new touch screen unit which set me back 2k.
    thanks for any help

• Hi KMS

Did you have change the water pump?
    If no I think you can preventively change the water pump and the viscous drive, flush the coolant and replace it, 1 coolant for 1 water(go to the bmw dealer for the coolant). Like 8Harry 8 say, deaerate the system.
    Let us know ;)

Il y a 2 sortes de voitures les BMW et les autres !!!!

840 CI Individual 96
    520d F10 10

• forgot to tell u i have a v12 m70. checked the water level im not missing any liquid. i also have antifreeze.
    sorry i didnt understand the meaning of "deaerate" ?! but i think u mean to deflate the air that might be in the cooling system right? if that im ok there is no pressure inside because the hose coming out of the radiator is not hard even when overheating.
    if it was the water pump i would loose some water slowly and it would make a grinding sound but its ok!

• If the top hose is not hard when you are overheating then you must be losing pressure (check the filler cap, or better, replace it) - OR - you are not overheating and the temperature sensor is at fault.

• It sounds as if it's time for a new radiator. With age, the aluminium core furs up and restricts the flow. I would be inclined to replace the radiator, expansion-bottle (if of the early type), water-pump, thermostat and hoses. Some early water-pumps had plastic impellers, which could either come loose off the sahft or become erroded away. New ones, after a brief return to metal, are still plastic, but improved.

• i took ur advice tim and changed the radiator cap. the car still overheated, but this time the radiator hose was so hard and hot i thought it was going to burst!
    i got stuck in heavy traffic, turned off the a/c and started reving the car between 1500 and 2500 rpm. up and down. it did the job of bringing the needle back to the middle, but traffic was relentless so that didnt work anymore and the car went into limp mode. i had white blueish smoke coming out from the left side exhaust. parked to the right shoulder and deareated the system just a bit, waited half an hour then straight to the mechanic.
    lets hope i didint damage anything with my recklessness:banghead:

• i got the 8 back from the shop today thinking all is well. the mechanic said he had to change the radiator. ok fine, i left, got stuck in traffic, a/c on, and immediately overheated again!!!!!! called him, he said to add water. did that and the same thing happened again! what else could it be! i paid so much for that part already!
    by the way i installed wooke's front suspension bearing arms. the car is so much more responsive especially at high speeds. great update really. i also had a slight wobble at 80kph, ist gone. but the ride has suffered drastically. very rough on bad roads, very!

• If you are only overheating in traffic or slowly moving then the viscous-coupled fan is the number one suspect. Especially if you find that the gauge goes to 3/4 and then starts heading back to the centre.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!