Throwing Stars: How many E31's came with them in (rough) percentage terms?

• Is there any record of such a statistic kept?
    Not just throwing star related either - I'd love to know the rough breakdown of 8s V choice of wheels people made...

I know this is the right place to ask .. if Reinhard doesn't know, or doesn't know someone who knows.. then nobody knows! thanks in advance..

:driver:

• In theory you could look here and count for yourself. ;)

I took the liberty and saved you a way :D

S298 BMW 16" ALLOY WHEEL TURBINE STYLING (Styl. 9): 7757
    S299 BMW 17" CROSS-SPOKE,COMPOSITE WHEEL (Styl.5): 2914
    S780 BMW 18" ALLOY WHEEL, M PARALLEL SPOKE (Styl. 37): 36
    S782 BMW 17" M ALLOY WHEELS M SYSTEM II (Styl. 21): 822*, **

*All those under the subheading S940 Special Request Equipment are not taken into account and sum up to an additional.
    S782 BMW 17" M ALLOY WHEELS M SYSTEM II (Styl. 21): 225

**Another 1205 cars - 868 ECE LHD CSi, 112 ECE RHD CSi, 225 US-CSi´s came with wheel S782 BMW 17" M ALLOY WHEELS M SYSTEM II (Styl. 21) - not mentioned in build data sheets due to nature of "standard option".

Hence summing up:
    S782 BMW 17" M ALLOY WHEELS M SYSTEM II (Styl. 21): 2252

Additionally there are 57+97 cars which came equipped with 18" Alpina rims.

The remaining ones were all equipped with the 16" basket weave rims (Styl. 8): ca. 17500
    Breaking this down to the specific 8er models is something for a cold winter´s night - you can try and talk me into it :girlshit:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Great Reinhard :top:

Interesting to see that only 36 got the M Parallel , I assume many did buy them later as it seems to be on several cars around.

I was about to ask if you have pix of the different rim types , but I know that answer so instead I will ask can you post them :harhar:
    as yours are probably better than the ones I found on Google

Regards
    Terje

• There you go, taken from here:

Wheel
    BMW name
    Cross spoke split rim 17" - S299Styling 5
    Basket weave 16"Styling 8
    Turbine - S298Styling 9
    M System II - S782Styling 21
    M Parallel - S780Styling 37

The reason why parallel spoke 18´s are much more popular today than back in the day is that BMW made quite a few marketing mistakes in advertising them. They were only offered from 1995 and exclusively for the CSi which means they were no longer marketed for the 8 past 1996. In addition to that they cost a whopping 3800 DEM (ca. 1900 EUR) on top of and replacing the 17" M-system II/17" cross spoke which came as the standard wheels with any CSi.

Later on they were available & extremely popular for the E38 (direct fit for E31) along with the E39. Near 100% of the Styling 37 wheels on E31´s today started out on an E38.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Great link that one :top:

My favorite of these rims will be the

Cross spoke split rim 17" - S299Styling 5

Hope to get my hands on a set sooner or later , there should be a chance as nearly 3000 cars came with it.

• They will only be your favourites until that day when it comes to cleaning... :roll:
    Those are the worst possible rims - ever :laugh:
    Prices for cross spoke 17´s have been on the rise up to 1k EUR per set of 4 and the condition of many/most is no longer really appealing to the eye since the bolts themselves do not age well with chrome flaking off. Refurbishing is possible but with a single bolt around 2 EUR and IIRC 34 per wheel it is a fairly expensive exercise.
    Would rather buy parallel spoke 37´s - new set around 1500 EUR still available ex-BMW

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von revtor;114086

huldra66: Really? I think the BBS LM on your E31 look drop dead gorgeous...

I totally agree , but of the original ones i like the Style 5 best my Black one also came with them originally but they where lost before I got the car.
    My spare tyre is still the Style5 :)

Having a set of style 5 in the future would be nice but the BBS LM would not be sold :cool:

Regards
    Terje

• Zitat von reinhard;114079

They will only be your favourites until that day when it comes to cleaning... :roll:
    Those are the worst possible rims - ever :laugh:
    Prices for cross spoke 17´s have been on the rise up to 1k EUR per set of 4 and the condition of many/most is no longer really appealing to the eye since the bolts themselves do not age well with chrome flaking off. Refurbishing is possible but with a single bolt around 2 EUR and IIRC 34 per wheel it is a fairly expensive exercise.
    Would rather buy parallel spoke 37´s - new set around 1500 EUR still available ex-BMW

Cheers
    Reinhard

He he, I have to agree with you there Reinhard, they would be a real PITA to clean. My car came to me with BBS RSII fitted which I really like but even they are a bit of a pain to keep clean. The spare wheel in my car is a styling 8 16", I suspect my car came with those originally.

• Reinhard - thanks very much for the info. I make that roughly 1,050 8s with Stars on.. not nearly as many as I would have guessed.
    I wonder if European cars account for most of those.. they seem more unusual in the USA.

I know TS's are not everyone's cup of tea : for me they have a great deal of character and are less samey than most other choices.
    I love the way Alpinas look on the 8, but can't get it out of my head that they were only issued on the Alpina cars.. seems almost like putting an Alpina badge on your non-Alpina car, which of course everyone would be horrified at. I guess for most folks the "what looks best"? consideration comes above that.
    I really don't want that comment to irk anyone with Alpina rims: as i say they look fantastic. They just shout "Alpina" at me.

• Zitat von BBMatic;114108

Reinhard - thanks very much for the info. I make that roughly 1,050 8s with Stars on.. not nearly as many as I would have guessed.
    I wonder if European cars account for most of those.. they seem more unusual in the USA.

And I have a set :cool: on my new project car
    I need to keep them it seems

• Zitat von BBMatic;114108

...they seem more unusual in the USA.

Indeed, apart from the 225 US-CSi´s (overlooked all CSI´s standard equipment in the first count, hence total now 2252 - see corrected posting above) none of the throwing stars went to the US. Also the cross spoke 17" made it into build sheets for US cars only twice with one being CD05213 the private car of David Hockney, heaviliy individualized by the M-GmbH and the other one CC90193 seemingly never shipped out to the US.

655 of the 2252 cars equipped with S782 wheels were UK Sports 840Ci´s. This corresponds to near 30%.

1135 sets of cross spoke 17´s (S299) made it to the UK starting with post facelift M70´s in 1/1993 and from thereon found on all variants of the E31.

A tiny S299/UK breakdown :

M70-A: 58
    M60-A 409
    M60-M: 21
    M62-A:607
    S70-6: 40

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Interesting stuff as usual Reinhard, thanks.
    655 UK 840ci Sports came with Style 21s -- I'm assuming that if they are designated 'Sports', we are talking about the later 4.4 rather than the 4.0.

Worldwide, 3,075 M62 840s were produced.
    So, roughly 1/5th of all M62 840s came with Throwing Stars, with a higher concentration of them in the UK than anywhere else, using my poor deduction skills..

Focussing on the UK for a moment, I imagine that as many as 1/4 of all 4.4 840s came with Style 21's... this seems to roughly tally with what I would have guessed all along..!

To answer my 'rough percentage' question in the OP:
    2,250 Throwing star-equipped 8s out of a total made of 30, 621.
    Very roughly this is one in 15 E31s. My crap mathematical brain cannot work out a rough percentage.. 6.5% maybe.

• Zitat von BBMatic;114125

655 UK 840ci Sports came with Style 21s -- I'm assuming that if they are designated 'Sports', we are talking about the later 4.4 rather than the 4.0.

That is the case. The "Sports" designation came in January 1997.

Zitat

Worldwide, 3,075 M62 840s were produced.So, roughly 1/5th of all M62 840s came with Throwing Stars

Almost. Quoted above were only the RHD cars for the UK with S782 in build sheet. Again (sorry) 48 UK cars omitted that had them in S940. Some 26 more RHD cars with S782 for OZ and Eire plus another measly 54 LHD cars for Europe and rest of ECE world.
    This totals up to 729 RHD and 54 LHD M62´s - 783 all in equalling 25%.

Zitat

Focussing on the UK for a moment, I imagine that as many as 1/4 of all 4.4 840s came with Style 21's

1406 M62 for the UK. This means that the figure "693" corresponds to almost half the lot (49.4%). Including the RHD´s for other countries it is a ratio of 729/1473= 49.5%

Much different for the ECE LHD production 54/ (708 A + 93 M) = 6.7%

The reason for this is that the UK Sports kit was more or less a freebie whereas the others had to cough up a substantial amount for the forged 17" wheels.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Once the US-spec CSi production was finished in 1996 there wasn´t any US spec car which received styling 21 throwing stars ex-factory. On a 1997 Ci they must have been purchased separately at some later stage and the person buying them skimped out on the 5th ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;114601

Once the US-spec CSi production was finished in 1996 there wasn´t any US spec car which received styling 21 throwing stars ex-factory. On a 1997 Ci they must have been purchased separately at some later stage and the person buying them skimped out on the 5th ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

That's what happened with my 850...it came originally with turbines and then was later upgraded to style 5's, but the spare is still turbines. That reminds me...i gotta make sure the spare wheel in my CSi is correct.

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!