That was close....

• I've been mulling over whether to sell the 840 for the past few months. We're moving to a new house, where the drive at the front and back will be too steep to drive the car on to , without scraping the spoiler each and every time. To be honest I really don't think it will go up or down it at all.
    The house does have a huge garage, but I wont be able to get the car in to it, until a load of building work is completed next Summer, as we need to use it for storage. I have never left the car out in the 7 years that I've owned it so don't want to start now!
    So ....Decided, as I needed to drive down to Sussex yesterday, to see a couple of cars I had had my eyes on. Totally off the wall. One was a 67 Beetle , full body off restoration blah blah blah. Needless to say it didn't justify the price and I realised that cars had moved on in leaps and bounds . I had a 64 Beetle as a first car back in 74. That one wasn't really a problem. The guy wasn't enthusiastic so I walked.

http://www.ambrosemotorcompany…n_beetle_saloon_10178.htm

The second car was more difficult. I had always fancied, please dont laugh, a 2CV. We've got a couple of other cars to use so long distance, high speed autobahns probably wouldn't be on the horizon. It again was fully restored with over £9000 having been spent on it.It was just used as a corporate advertising vehicle and was superb.

We chatted loosely about figures and then I popped out to the garage forecourt again to mull it over. I had valeted the 8 series the day before and it looked stunning. I glanced at the snail in the showroom and then back at the BMW...I did this for the next 15 minutes and realised I couldn't do it..What was I thinking? It's going to be so difficult to part with it!

This was the 2CV by the way.

http://www.gprcars.co.uk/used-…-st-neots-201327522277884

Both prices look like madness, especially when compared with the pittance that needs to be paid to pick up a good 8 series. The Beetle will appreciate , thats for sure but the 2CV will hang around for a while yet.

Anyway I couldn't do it so all in all its pretty irrelevant!

God she's achingly beautiful!

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/24586/

• I'd hate to face the agonising choice between a 2CV and an 8 Series, I really would. Must have been touch and go..

I have a really nice Daf 55 ...we could think about a p/ex, with some money coming my way?

• Zitat von BBMatic;114149

I'd hate to face the agonising choice between a 2CV and an 8 Series, I really would. Must have been touch and go..

I have a really nice Daf 55 ...we could think about a p/ex, with some money coming my way?

Daf hey? They're getting rare nowadays. My old man had a Volvo 66 (I think) which was really a Daf with a Volvo badge stuck on it - it was good, the infinitely variable gearbox was cool and went like a scolded whippet. I liked that car. I think the choice between the 8 and a 2CV is a weird one, I can see the attraction of the 2CV but no, just no.

• Zitat von Argonaut;114150

Daf ... went like a scolded whippet.

How quick is a dog with its tail coming back out in front?
    I looked it up: 0-62mph in 28 secs flat :harhar:

It certainly is still competitive when driven backwards :top:

The late 2CV´s have become expensive everywhere but I also fail to see how this could give you anything more than the E31?
    Probably more headaches... one thing is for sure: it will not bring back the fonder memories of having been young :laugh:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Is that the figure for the 2CV or the Daf? If it's the Daf then I'd be surprised - mind you, it was a long time ago and perhaps my sense of speed was different back then...

• You made me look again :laugh:

Quote from Wikipedia re 2CV: "The original 1948 model that produced only 9 hp had a 0-40 time of 42.4 seconds and a top speed of just 64 km/h (40 mph), ... The top speed increased with engine size to 80 km/h (49 mph) in 1955, 84 km/h (52 mph) in 1962, 100 km/h (63 mph) in 1970, but was finally not capable of US freeway speeds of 115 km/h (71 mph) until 1981"

and "When asked about the 2CVs performance and acceleration, many owners said it went "from 0–60 in one day". "

Daf 66 figure (mis)taken from here. Indeed it was 23.8 secs, much faster than I incorrectly stated before :harhar:

Might compare well with an M70 limping home ;)

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• Ah! well, 23.8 is far more respectable than a measly 28 sec! Cheers ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!