• Thought I'd update you on the long (very) running process of getting my car back on the road. So far the entire rear suspension has been refurb'ed (all new bearings, arms and bushes and everything powder coated including subframe). Bilstein B12 shocks and Eibach springs all round. The remaining front suspension components (most of them anyway) have been removed and powder coated so the new shocks and springs look nice. All four fuel lines that run the length of the car have been replaced. All rear brake pipes have been replaced, there are new back plates (front and rear) and the calipers have been powder coated. The exposed parts of the front brake pipes have been replaced along with all the flexi hoses. While the diff/subframe was out the entire rear end of the car has been scraped free of rust (poor bastard) and rust proofed. All that remains before I can pick the car up is to refit the rear shocks (he's waiting on a few bits from BMW) and to fix the ABS issue (thread on Technical forum). I also have a nice set of throwing stars (Graham's favourites) waiting for it. I'm really hoping that the car will drive well after all the works and I suspect that having the correct wheels will also help.

When I get the car back it will externally look pretty much as it left (crap) which will confuse the Wife and kids as to what's been happening the last few months and where all of our money has gone. Next stop full respray but I'm going to enjoy driving it a bit first and I still have a to-do list a thousand miles long.

• It seems to me that you have turned the corner as all that work is the nasty stuff and you have got that out of the way now. You must be quite chuffed and I for one, applaud you:adore:

Try not to get all that lovely powder coating covered in road salt.

Cheers

Graham

• Thanks Graham, appreciate it. You're right, I am chuffed. Bit gutted I didn't do it myself, but it was not a job for a halfwit on a drive. I am very very determined to finish the job off properly and make the car tip top. Gaydon here I come.

• Hi chaps,

Well my long wait seems to be very close to an end. My car is now MoTd and all that remains is a four wheel align that should happen in the next few days. The ABS light problem is still there, but they didn't notice on the MoT and I'll try to fix that when the car gets home.

In the mean time I bought my self one of these, I know, I know, I've brought shame on myself with this Italian rubbish.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/34466/

• Zitat von 8Harry8;133620

Hm, correct me... - that's not a current 3-series with aftermarket rims?!?

New cars look so frivolous these days...

Ouch! The front is pretty distinctive (not altogether in a good way), but I agree the profile is very 3 series. Goes fast mind and makes me smile. Can't wait to get my 8 back though. It's going to look like sh1t, but ride really well.

• I haven't heard from the mechanic for a few weeks, but with the weather the way it is I'm not really in any hurry to get the car back as it's under cover where it is. I'll chase him next week, it only needed a 4 wheel align last time we spoke.

The Alfa is great. It doesn't like the cold wet weather, but other than that I'm very happy with it. It's very fast indeed and makes me smile every time I put my foot down. It does try to kill me a bit, but I forgive it.

• The saga continues. I've been too embarrassed to post here as I have had many false dawns, but the current state is that the car is still with the mechanic. I haven't been in any hurry to get the car as the weather has been horrible, and despite it being MoTd and driveable there are a few things that the mechanic wants to do to it before I get it back. There is an oil leak from the pentosin radiator (looks like I badly connected a pipe) and the power steering pump is screaming its head off, so I'm now on the search for a new pump. I suspect this may be miserable as the car has ASC+T and I suspect the pumps are super rare. Oh well, it gives me something to do.

The work so far:
    - Complete rear axle rebuild including all new arms/bushes everywhere, and subframe and everything else power coated.
    - New brake pipes front and rear
    - All four fuel lines under the car replaced
    - Most of the under body, scraped free of rust and treated
    - Bilstein B12 Prokit
    - Front suspension arms replaced or powder coated
    - Brake back plates all replaced
    - Transmission fluid and filters changed
    - New batteries
    - 4 wheel geo

He is now waiting on me to get a power steering pump then I'm free to leave!

I don't want to hazard a guess as to when I'll be driving the car, but I am many thousands of pounds in as you can see from the list so it will happen.

• So the car lives :) It has an MoT, tax and insurance and I've even driven it! The car is still outside the garage for dull reasons of logistics but it's all paid for and I have the keys - it will be back on my drive tomorrow. I'm £6k worse off but the car is alive. When the epic fix commenced the mechanic pleaded with me to sell it for spares but I wouldn't listen. It's not a great investment and the car still has many issues but it's on the road to being a great car again. It still needs £5k putting in just to make it respectable, but mechanically it's pretty good. Pity it still looks like a piece of cr&p.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/35880/

Sorry for all the false starts, but I got there in the end.

• Thanks Graham. Is Gaydon on this year? It would be great to catch up.

Hmmm, the wheels. I'm selling those and have a set of your favourite throwing stars in the garage :)

• I've now gone a few miles in the car and I'm back in love. I've also fitted the new throwing stars (plus spacers) and new boot lid as mine had a horror show of a spoiler on there. I've also repaired and refitted my fan speed control sword which was an enormous pain in the arse, but for the first time in 10 years my fan works! There's still a huge list of things to do but my motivation is high so there is no stopping me.

• Zitat von NickF;135669

I've also repaired and refitted my fan speed control sword which was an enormous pain in the arse, but for the first time in 10 years my fan works!

Hello matey,

Did you get a reconditioned one or did you buy a new one? They are sooo expensive that even the breakers know how to charge. How did you know it was the sword that was dodgy?

• I repaired it myself (with a bit of help from my brother with the soldering). It's really very easy, but only after the fact. I think I could do another one in 30 mins. The difficult bit is getting blighter out.

My symptoms were the fan would only work on full.

• I disconnected the steering column at the rubber joint, and also removed one of the two pins that keep the brake pedal in place, that have me enough wiggle room to get the bleeder out. It's all upside down with your head in the footwell, not fun, especially in the heat.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!