wiper linkage strut part numbers

• Anybody any ideas on the part nos of the strut arrowed in the pics and the attached clamp ? The wiper spindle shown is passenger side in centre of windscreen.
    Not shown on bmwfans diagrams and local BMW dealer could do no better.

Whether they are stiil available and prices would be good.

Could probably repair/replace both if I had to but.........

In the process of replacing a seized wiper linkage and the horrors later revealed when the cover over that wiper spindle was removed - yuck !

• Don't pin me down on this but I think the strut is 61 61 1 383 439. Are you sure that strut needs to be replaced?

I can't find the clamp at all though. Couldn't you simply sand and and paint it? At first sight it doesn't look beyond recovery... The bolt and nut on the other hand will probably need replacement.

• Revtor,
    Thanks, I'll check the number out.
    Yes, the clamp may be ok to be replaced/repaired but is now so corroded that I just bent the ends up to remove the plastic splindle cover.
    The reason I am asking for the part no. of the strut is that the corroded bolt appears to be attached (spot weld) to the top of the strut.
    I will probably have to cut off the corroded nut to remove the strut and the thread on the bolt is really bad.
    If I cannot find replacement strut (with bolt), could cut the old bolt out and replace.

The strut needs to be removed to give enough space for wiper linkage removal from under scuttle.

• Revtor,
    Was there a parts diagram that you managed to source the part number from ? Have had a pretty good search but so far nothing.
    If you could point me to the correct section of bmwfans if from there ......
    Would prefer to see if the part looks right before ordering
    Thanks

• martinw: Actually you can get to the parts diagram by clicking the part number in my previous post and then expanding "Usages" to your model/year of E31.

But... You may notice you can't expand to your RHD 850CSi - it's not in the usages list. There seems to be an error in the ETK. An entire page about the wipers is missing for all RHD E31:

Single wiper parts (LHD 850CSi)

I was thinking the strut might be part #9. The problem is that all parts on that page have supplement "left-hand drive" which suggests RHD E31 have different parts. Obviously the wiper linkage itself is different between LHD and RHD, but I don't think the strut is different. Still, with this page missing for the RHD E31 there's no way to be sure...

• Revtor,
    Thanks again for the assistance.
    Part no. 9 looks the right shape for the strut.
    Part no. 10 (that appears to go with it) is not correct for my corroded bolt (and the price for a screw ! - there's a joke there somewhere :grin2: )
    Whatever..... for the price of part 9 (if the equivalent GBP is roughly the same) I might just order it and see if it turns up with a bolt attached.
    Incidentally, the bmw dealer checking his parts list commented on a problem with the RHD version of the csi - he thought it was a glitch in his system - maybe not !

• Hello Martin, the RHD wiper arrangement is completely different to the LHD. That little strut uses a plastic nut on the top of the stud so if you can clean the thread at all, it should be fine. M5 is the size with a strange 9mm hex.

• Hi Gerry, thanks for the advice. Had already removed the plastic nut when the photo was taken. Could probably have cut the head off the tack-welded (to strut) bolt to remove the corroded threaded part and clamp but .....
    I had already taken a chance and ordered the LHD strut using the part no. provided by Revtor.
    And guess what ...... when it arrived it had a tack-welded bolt attached to the top, exactly like the RHD version on my car ! (no clamp with it though - shame).
    So, one for the file if anybody with a RHD car has the same problem in future - though I suspect for the price (£15 incl. VAT), most people will cut off the bolt and replace.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!