1997 M73 Airbag (SRS) Warning light reset

• Morning all,

boy am I out of practice!
    It's been three years - unbelievable - since I was able to play with my 8 but now finally I will be getting it back on the road. First up is of course the MOT.
    At the last MOT the car passed without trouble and as I was leaving the tester remarked to me "That SRS light came on just after you left here didn't it" nudge nudge wink wink.
    Back then, a warning light wasn't a fail only an advisory but now it's a fail.
    The problem comes from when I was thinking of changing the wheel to a flappy paddle style - Bird's were going to do this but then refused when they realised this would involve going from one-stage to two-stage airbag systems. Shortly thereafter the light came on, when I removed the wheel to see why I discovered that the connector had simply come apart. I reconnected it but of course the SRS warning light is now on.
    I need to turn it off for the MOT but don't really want to give BMW a stack of beer vouchers to do this for me.
    Does anyone know of any tricks or and OBD code scanners that will handle this job now? It used to be that the code readers couldn't touch the SRS and this was a BMW only job but that was a while ago and I wondered how the collective E31 knowledge pool views this now. Any decent code readers out there?

Many thanks in advance.
    Jason

• I used one of these on my 1998 740
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BM…item=172279691886&vxp=mtr

Only problem was that the '98 740 diagnostic port is not keyed and the plug goes in 3 different ways and one of them blows a hidden fuse. The plug itself is keyed though.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Argonaut: Your '97 should not cause problems with generic BMW airbag reset tools. Just make sure to get a tool that comes with the correct plug for the old round BMW diagnostic port. It's also recommended to get a tool that can both reset the airbag light and read fault codes. If the airbag light won't go out you'll find clues to the cause in the fault codes.

If you already have a BMW diagnostic system with DIS or INPA, you don't need a third party tool.

• In DIS: [19] AIRBAG (AB) → [9] Clear fault memory
    • In INPA: Body → Airbag (ZAE BAE) → Error (F4) → Clear error memory (F2)

Early E31 are sometimes very difficult to reset. Diagnostic software like DIS and INPA may not be able to access the airbag module and third party tools often have no effect. However, the SIR3 and BOA tools sold by shogun over at bimmerforums.com are known to reset the airbag light where other tools have failed. The SIR3 and BOA are pure reset tools - they do not read fault codes - but if all other tools fail... It seems they are currently out of stock, though.

• The hassle with the airbag connectors is that they are designed to short the two conductors together when unplugged - to protect the airbag from stray charges which may cause ignition. To complicate matters further it is safer to measure resistance with the airbag disconnected. I think I would disconnect the batteries, disconnect the airbag and then use really sharp probes to check the resistance between the BROWN and BLUE conductors under the steering wheel:

...and that should be a dead-short due to the shorting connector at the airbag. You best check that the end connector does cause a short first to make sure using sharp probes. And yes, the slipring can fail quite easily.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!