Automatic Gearbox.

• Hello to all, i've had an issue with my auto box for some time, it may be my driving or possibly the age of the car. firstly i can't feel the gear change any more on acceleration, i don't have an issue with power still go fast, gears do change down when i apply brakes going downhill. secondly is i looked at the dashboard yesterday whilst i was driving and some thing was missing and i could not figure what, then i noticed the gear change symbol was'nt illuminated for park/reverse/ neutral/drive and the car had no acceleration on pulling away but still had power after that. got in the car this morning and gear change lights were lit and had no issue with power loss. Is my gear box worn/tired as its 21 next month or is it the torque converter that's at fault anyone had a problem and can anyone advise what the fault could be.

• Hi
    How many Km or Miles has your 8 Series ?
    No message on your onboard computer screen ?
    Have you try to change gear manually ?

Cheers.

Antonin TEYSSIER
    A votre écoute et de bonne humeur ;)

Président
    BMW Club Serie 8 France

Secretary
    BMW 8er Club International

• You may wish to read up on possible causes here
    Gearbox in trans failsafe mode will remain in 3rd gear which gives you abysmal acceleration from standstill but regular power once revs are "normal" for gear.
    This info relates to the 5HP30 gearbox in M60/M62 not M70.

Regards
    Reinhard

• Thanks guy for your replies. Antonin, miles is 108000, no messages and drive perfectly in manual. I have allways had the trans fail safe message come up and bong for 3/4 years, it happened after i tried to boosts the batteries when they went flat. Any ideas how to remove this. Had diagnostic to remove but failed. Reinhard, i will read your link later. I have the m62 engine. Tim i will clean the dust and fag ash from my gear selector.

• P.S. Sorry Antonin, i do have a message as you asked, trans fail safe. I t only comes up and bongs when i start the engine after i have applied the brakes, i then drive the car 4/5 hundred yards or so and it disappears.

• Read Timm´s writeup to the end and do not waste too much time on the ashes unless you quit smoking.
    The culprit in your case with high likelihood is the gearbox attached selector switch which is also referenced in a little more detail in the link I added.
    Malfunction of this switch puts your gearbox in TFS, gives the bong, takes away your display.... all in one fix ahead! ;)

I see Timm´s method to "clean out" that switch but have the feeling that it is not quite up to his usual standards. :harhar: Fair enough though if it works ;)
    The switch is easily removed provided you have means to drop the gearbox by a few cms. It can be opened by drilling out the rivets (soft aluminium) and after that of course sealed in many ways including new rivets, bonding material, screws & nuts....

I assume that you also have the green muck inside shorting some of the contacts - once this is removed it will with the highest of likelihoods perform indistinguishable from new.

You´ve got to get under the car though :roll:
    Give it a go! :top:
    Cheers
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!