CD Changer

• Does anyone know what format a CD has to be in, in order to play in our cars.

I have downloaded some internet music in mp3 and transferred it to both WAV and AIFF and then burned it to a CD. In both cases it just states "Disc Error"

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Graham

• Zitat von Omega;148161

I would be surprised if they can read anything more than an original CD!

I think that is correct but do you know what format the original CD's would be. When I googled 'Old CD player formats" I only came up with WAV and AIFF" which I have tried with no success.

• I have the original Business CD from 1997 in my car and I can play self burned CDs.
    I am sure, it is just a matter of the right Format (and maybe also the right Medium).
    You surely need a proper CD burning program... :grin2:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• Yes, the CD player will play CD copies (WAV files) - but only if they are burned at slow speeds - any higher than 4 x and you will get a Disk Error - even then, they are more prone to skipping

• Thanks guys,

This is all useful information and I have already spotted an error in my process! I was burning at 16x.

I did also read an article that said the in car lasers may not be powerful enough to read poor quality cd's and therefore to have a chance the best quality cd's should be used.

Cheers
    Graham

• Hi

If you use Itunes (Apple application) you can burn CDs very easly, I can copy like 15/20 songs on one disc.

Cheers.

Antonin TEYSSIER
    A votre écoute et de bonne humeur ;)

Président
    BMW Club Serie 8 France

Secretary
    BMW 8er Club International

• The CD players and CD changers from the E31 era support only the original CDDA specification (Compact Disc Digital Audio or Red Book but usually called just "Audio CD").

When you have MP3, WAV,... files on your CD you are talking about the CD-ROM specification (Compact Disc Read-Only Memory or Yellow Book). This will not work! Even when the audio format is the same (like a 16-bit stereo 44.1 kHz PCM WAV file) the main problem is that the CD players and CD changers cannot read the ISO9660/Joliet file system. Only CD-ROM drives can read it (note that many modern CD players and CD changers actually use CD-ROM drives in order to be able to play MP3, WAV, FLAC,...).

But do not despair. Most applications that can record CDs can also write CDDA but you probably have to select it explicitly. Your MP3, WAV,... files will be converted on-the-fly to CDDA while recording. Naturally this means you cannot benefit from the compression advantage that formats like MP3 offer. While a CD-ROM can fit over a hundred MP3 files, CDDA only fits 74 minutes of music (80 minutes on a 700 MB CD).

A second issue is that the old CD players and CD changers do not work well with CD-R (CD-Recordable) and even less so with CD-RW (CD-Rewritable). The media is supposed to be fully backward compatible but due to the physical differences with a pressed CD the information is "harder to read" on recordable and rewritable media. Also, over the past 20-30 years the laser lens probably collected dust and the laser diode lost some strength making it even harder. I wouldn't bother with CD-RW - that's unlikely to work, but a quality CD-R recorded at low to medium speed should work fine.

Nifty50: Your problem is most like that you did not select "CDDA" or "Audio CD" in your recording application.

• Zitat von Antonin;148189

Hi

If you use Itunes (Apple application) you can burn CDs very easly, I can copy like 15/20 songs on one disc.

Cheers.

Hi Antonin,
    Yes I do use iTunes on a Mac desktop and is as you say very simple; with my other more modern car I am able to use a memory stick with many songs and even videos when downloaded in MP4. When I have burned to discs they also work in the modern car. I have just put together a collection of particular favourites which I have on a memory stick and enjoy it so much I wanted to have it in the BM, hence where I am at.

Revtor,
    Very grateful for your explanation and I shall take this all a bit slower and see if I can get there.

PS, is there any way of erasing a CD-R on a Mac? I have followed the mac forum ideas but never get the option to erase?

• Zitat von Nifty50;148192

I do use iTunes on a Mac desktop

This is probably a screenshot of an older version of iTunes (I don't use it) but it clearly shows an option for CDDA (Audio CD):

(taken from How to Burn a CD Using iTunes)

Zitat

PS, is there any way of erasing a CD-R on a Mac? I have followed the mac forum ideas but never get the option to erase?

CD-R is write-once. It cannot be erased, nor can extra audio tracks be added if you still have time left on the CD after being recorded.

• Hi Revtor,

Showing me that picture did the trick. I must be some kind of numpty for not understanding this better. I have music playlists saved on a Network Storage Unit from my Sonos system and I was trying to burn directly from those lists. As soon as I imported them into iTunes I called up the dialogue box you showed me and voila. I was able to choose a burn speed anywhere between 1x and 52x so went with 4x as Timms advice and the copy is perfect.

Thank you so much
    Graham

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!