Sourcing used Euro parts...

• If there is anyone based in Europe who is able and willing to help me, I want to purchase a used or salvage diff off of an 850csi.

I am in the US, but the diffs available here are not built to work with the diff oil cooling option that was an option available only on Euro spec csi's.

Any help locating one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Thanks Ian. I am still trying to get the part number -- I will post it if I find it.

Yes, it must be off an 850csi. As far as I know, it is the only diff fitted with the diff oil cooling option, making the casing different from diffs of the 7 series or even other 8s, for example.

Meanwhile, I will check out the link you posted.

Thanks again.

• Is there a particular reason you want a cooled diff?

I have a CSI and the cooling system is just a coiled tube. Cant see it doing much really.

I assume the US CSI also has an LSD?

I was going to take the cooling system off my diff because it gets in the way of the mounting legs of the Schnitzer rear diffuser, but i managed to mod it to fit!

• I have a Euro spec CSI here in the States. I want to do a diff swap from my stock 2.93 to a 3.15 with a higher lockup percentage or maybe even a Quaife unit, if I can locate one I can afford.

I want to keep my car's original parts intact, however, so I don't want to modify my existing unit, hence the search for a salvage/used unit.

I need a Euro spec unit so it will work with my diff cooler as the casing on the non-Euro spec units will not interface with the diff cooler, IIRC.

• Hi,

I have '97 Euro 840Ci Auto.

Stock Differential is 2.81:1

I have spoken with a number of tuners who say that going to 3.64 diff "MAY" be too much.

Although it represents a 29% increase in twist - it also represents a 29% increase at revs at a given speed compared to revs with current diff.

I have therefore taken their advice and gone for a 3.15:1 diff from a 1991 750il.

This is a Limited slip diff - and so will help keep the back end on the road - but will only provide a modest 12% gain in twist.

I will let you know what difference I notice - but my feelings are that too much increase could ruin the cruising "feel" of the car and potentially make the rear end too easy to lose in UK climate and road surfaces.

Only my humble opinion :oops:

Ian

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!