Clean my Car

• Can anyone help and advise me regarding the best way to polish, and, the product they use to bring paintwork up to show finish. The reason for asking this question is that I had my 840 key,d by a brainless turd the other day and this morning I had a quotation for repair from a highly recommended bodywork shop. Have agreed a price so no problem there. During the conversation I asked him what was the best way to clean a vehicle and bring it up to show standard. His comment, which interested me, was, soap and water good leather and then any non-silicon polish. If this is the case why should I spend a lot of money on fancy products. I would love an answer from any owner who has a car which they consider to be show standard or who has even won best in class or anything at that level. What method they use and products they use to acheive this standard. I do understand beauty is in the eye of the be-holder but I think the level is as good as new.
    All replies appreciated from interested 8ers
    Alasdair (BigMac)
    840CiSport 1998 Oxford Green

• Clean

Hi Alisdair,

Bad news about the key damage :evil: . It's happened to me a couple of times (not with the 8 tho - touch wood). Don't know what goes through some peoples' minds and what drives them to do things like that. Then again, the 8's such a beautiful looking car, jealousy is most probably the motive.

Regarding your question regarding which products to use, it may be worth having a look at the replies I got to my question regarding swirl marks.

I've tried most products which are readily available in the UK including Zymol, Maguiars as well as the usual Autoglym, Mer etc., but, like you, am constantly looking for the perfect concours finish. Although I receive many compliments regarding the finish of my 850, I am constantly striving for better results.

As far as shampoo goes, I swear by either Zymol Autobathe (quite pricey but 100% natural ingredients) or Maguiars professional Mirror Glaze (shampoo & conditioner Item# M-6201 - 3.8 litre is £25.47). I order my Maguiars stuff from extremecarcare.co.uk and deal with a guy called Steve who is really helpful. You can get Zymol from either http://www.zymol.co.uk or http://www.swceurope.com (they are the same site). Becky or Jez at Zymol are also very helpful.

Regarding preparation and waxing/feeding, there are so many products out there and it really is difficult knowing which ones to try. From what I've recently been told, it is important to use a clay car on the body prior to prepping and waxing. Another thing I have also been told to remember is that the finish of the car determined by 90% preparation and just 10% wax/feed or polish.

A number of people have recommended Zaino products which I am going to try next - http://www.zainobros.com. Sal Zaino is a guru on detailing and will reply personally with any questions you e-mail to Zaino.

Ian and Le transporteur have both recommended the following link which I have found the be a great recourse for detailing - http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/

I don't know how much of the above you already know, but I hope at least one part of it helps.

Nick

• One more important forgotten thing.

One more thing about "clay".
    It is important to bring the car straight on the paint. That is to remove any existing remnant of previous wax, filler, or sellant.
    One thing you would NEVER do is to use "dish soap" to wash your car because it would remove all the good you have put on your car to protect the paint from oxydation.
    But if you are going to "clay" your car this is exactly what you want to do first.

so Here it is:
    1- wash your car with a a "quintuple" dose of the best dish soap. If you have "Dawn" it is inexpensive an awesome.
    2- rinse well and do it again all over. Check for small places you forgot when rinsing and soap the car to the max.
    2b- now is a good time to repair paint chip or to do paint touch up. (Look on Roadfly for how to there are quite a few good experts there)
    3- now "Clay" the paint. Long and tedious, but man it is worth it.
    4- apply filler. ( Klasse, Zaino Z2, PS21 etc )
    4- apply wax or paint sealant.
    5- hide the car :D:D:roll:

Hope this help. Post pics when done.

Thx to Nick for your kind and nice reference to Ian, and myself in your email. Gratefulness is a virtue, and I see you seem to possess it.

Le Transporteur

• Paint

Thanks all for your help and advice I shall get going when it stops raining !!!!!!! its been raining hear since January 1st 2004. Will post pics if I dare when I think its done.
    Regards to all.
    Alasdair

• Weather

Hi Alasdair,

Today is glorious sunshine here in Manchester.

When I woke up I thought, "at last, the first perfect day of the year to give the car the full treatmenty".

My plans were soon quashed when Sam, my wife, declared that we should go into the country for Sunday lunch!

Ah well.......if the forecasters are right, we're in for another fantastic summer - perfect 8 weather!

Cheers,

Nick

• Clean my car

Sorry about the Lunch. But never mind. Do you get any help from the good lady when it comes to cleaning and polishing. I don,nt !!! All I get is, your car, I love it, But you clean and polish it so I can ride in it. All women are the same, kick kick.
    Mind you, got a friend whos gay. Iam not. His boyfriend helps him clean his M3. Don,nt think I want to go down that road at my age. You cant beat a nice 18 year old lady washing your car with a wet T shirt. LOL LOL
    ttfn. My Partner has read this reply and is now refusing to cook dinner. Looks like a trip to McDonalds Urgh.
    Alasdair.

• Pic

For the tec Buffs. Camera is a Sony PD150 Cam which I edit all my film on pc using Adobe Prem that cut them to DVD the shot attached is taken from a try out film at local car show the vid didnt come to bad,
    I am hoping for good weather as I want to get my 8 on film static and moving on the motorway.
    Nice to get a vid of as many 8s as poss.
    Regards to all
    Alasdair.

• I have used the Zymol Bathe, but I prefer the car wash you get from the BMW dealer. Just feels better and I like to see suds for some reason.

The real key, IMO, to getting a good finish is the amazing Cyclo polisher.

I wash with BMW Car wash and dry with a Microfiber towel.

Every other waxing, I use HiTemp Light Cut with the Cyclo to prep the paint and remove any swirls, etc.

I then wax with Zymol Carnuba "Carbon".

Very happy withe the finish and my arms never get tired no matter how much I buff. Go Cyclo!

Mike

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!