K&N filter

• i am planning on getting a K&N filter for my 1998 840ci sport 4.4. just need abit of info on it.
    Will this increase the power, if yes by how much? will i notice it straight away?
    will the engine go louder?
    is it better for the engine?

thank you

• k+n

See my previous post ref filters.
    I certainly don,t recomend these things as they draw warm air from the engine bay.
    The front bumper is specifically designed to maximise the cold air flow to the engine which helps clean running and performance i would just replace the standard filters with performance ones that fit within the standard airbox.
    To complement them get the car chipped as i have.
    As for noise levels yes they might sound better than standard but i personally would not advise.

Regards

Chris

• thats waot i am going to do- replace the standard filter with a performance K&N filter that fits right in. that wont take in the ot air will it? i want to increase the roar of the V8? any sugestions? nothing expensive.
    also i cant find your previous post on filters. can locate them for me please?

• Filters

The set up you are going to use should be plenty adequate.
    As for noise wise i doubt if you will hear any differnce as the filters are enclosed and there is a fair amount of insulation under the bonnet.
    The previous post was more about chipping than filters.
    The only way of making the engine sound louder is by adding performance cats and a custom system.
    My mate has an 840 and he has just gone down this route.
    It sounds bloody awfull as if both exhausts are blowing and for £2000.00 i think it was a total waste of money.
    Just look at the veiw that you have a stunning looking car and that alone draws looks from admiring people.
    i would like my V12 to sound better but from reading posts from other sites it seems that the e31 is doomed to be fairy quiet.

Regards
    Chris

• K&N induction cones tend to be more for lesser powered boy racer machines lol. They do give it a bit of a growl but you dont need it with the sound of the engine as it is.

The drawback is that from a standing start, the car will be slower off the line as it will have drawn in hot air from the engine bay (as has been previously stated) and what the engine needs is nice cold air - which is why you may notice your car performs better in the cold (yes i know, just when you dont want it to due to ice etc :cry: ).

I know that enclosed cone filters exist but ive never come across them for the 8 series, the best way is to just replace the standard air filter with a performance one, from K&N or the like and this just basically increases the air flow as it is less restrictive... use a less restrctive exhaust system with this and the results will be even better - more airflow through the engine!

Al

• the kn filters fits into the original airbox - so i don't understand how it will draw warm air (???)
    i can only talk from past experience with them ,as i put a kn filter in my motorhome (GM 454 bb) BIG difference in power in that pig .worked great
    the only difference in sound - was the slight hissing sound of more air being sucked in .
    my fear with the kn filter chargers is - will it can allow more dirt into the motor and ultimately gum up an injector or help with carbon build up on the valves . the premise behind the filters is sound - as they are sprayed with oil and that should collect and trap dirt more efficiently ,while allowing max. air flow. just like the old oil bath filters .
    but from reading a previous post (here), on a dyno test they produced less power then the original filter chargers . very surprising !!!
    i have to check out the Kn company and find out their tests on particulate pass through , before i personally buy them for my 850.

Al - i'll take one of my filter chargers in (in next few days) and if i can match it up or find the right ones - i'll post a part #

• i posted the correct part # for the KN filter chargers in a new thread. (now they can get rid of the stupid cone setup - cheers.

• Zitat von genius

thats waot i am going to do- replace the standard filter with a performance K&N filter that fits right in. that wont take in the ot air will it? i want to increase the roar of the V8? any sugestions? nothing expensive.
    also i cant find your previous post on filters. can locate them for me please?

I have a magnaFlow muffler set-up and it sounds just right. It's not obnoxiously loud to draw the attention you don't want, but it will let others know you are there. If I could only record some sound bytes for you I would. I also have the K&N drop-ip replacement. Performancewise, I don't think I felt the HPs or torque, but for only $40 and it's reusable, it's definitely worth the money. Well, sorry for the late post, but I just joined the club.

Hope this helps,

John

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!