US Vs. Euro model differences........need info & help

• Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have been reading your forums for sometime now. I have been searching and searching for that perfect 850 to buy and I have come across a very nice 1991 850i with only 33000 miles on it( inclusive of the Km put on it before the gauges were changed). I am probably going to buy it but had a few questions first. The current owner imported this car to the US from Germany about 4 years ago(he's the second owner). He had to add catalytic convertors to pass emissions as well as change the computer and speedo for US(the gas gauge still show metric).

I can tell a few subtle differences between the US models and the Euro models but I was wondering if anyone had any good knowledge as to what the differences are?

Will I run in problem when it comes to servicing a Euro model?

Is there any difference in engine/ transmission/ gearing?

Any benifit or downfall to the Euro model Vs. US?

Any emmisions/registration problems I might encounter?

As I mentioned this will be my first 850 and I am looking forward to the purchase but I want to make sure it's not my first mistake as well by buying a Euro model. Any help or insight you could give would be greatly appreciated. I will be purchasing in the next week or two so anything would help.

Thanks for your time and you have a very informative website and forum. i look forward to many more years with my new toy!

• The E31 was built as a world car. "Minor" items such as light approvals and speedometer scales were pretty much all that was changed.

Some nations got different trim on the later models.

The US models had more standard/uniform items that may have been options in Europe.

All came with catalysts but they were probably changed to insure emissions approval when importing.

The Euro and American CSIs were the only ones that were equipped to different standards.

So Enjoy!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks for the info so far..... I did see that site and the differences in gearing- I think that is better since I don't plan on going 200mph anyway(167 is fast enough for me) and a little faster off the line is nice- don't think there would be enough difference in MPG to notice the difference.

The brakes are nice- unless they break- may be harder to find parts for, not sure.

I also noticed Euro models have the exciting little pop-up headlight sprayers but they don't come with a CD changer- not sure why or if this one just doesn't have it.

At any rate I appreciate your comments and please keep them coming if you can think of any more differences- i should be finalizing my decision and sale this weekend or the beginning of next week. I can't wait!!!!

• According to the ETK parts lists the brakes are the same on a '91 850i for both Euro and US models.

• Well thats interesting- anyone know who is correct here? I suppose one of our members with a Euro 1991 850i might be able to confirm this. I am unable to verify it on the car myself as I am in a different state than the car and won't see it again until I go buy it/pick it up. Anyone else have any ideas or differences???

Thanks again.

• Looks like I will be purchasing this weekend as all the title and vehicle inspections have been done(carfax.com only has 1 record- guess thats because it has spent most of its life in Euro). Oddly the title shows it as a 1990 850i but the vin # indicates a 1991- I guess European models calculate years differently- maybe by production year instead of model year? Not sure. If anyone has any comments or suggestions before I purchase that would be helpful.

hopefully I don't run into any emissions or title problem getting it registered in my state. Won't know for a week or 2 since the car will be on a transport truck Monday and won't get here till the middle of April.

I'll post pics when it arrives and let me know if there are any more differences you can think of between the US and Euro models.

Thanks for the info!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!