front seat too small for me!!

• I just bought a 850i (1991), I had been dreaming about this car since BMW launched it, I finally bought one.

BUT I have 1 problem: I am 1.85m (6.1ft) & cannot seat properly in the driver seat. My head is touching the ceiling of the car.

BMW is a german car made by German people (=tall people - much taller than me). Is this me seating in the car unproperly ? or should I change my seating position in another way ?

Please help.

Franck

• Scoot the bottom forward a little bit at a time and tilt back more each time.

I had tilted and move my drivers seat this weekend installing a subwoofer and satellite radio. Got in it this morning and had to tweak it a bit to get my hair away from the roof. 6'3" tall.

BTW My front seat touches my back seat.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I am 6'2" and have the same problem. That infernal sunroof is the bane of my 8 owning existance. It seems all BMW's are plagued with them. Next I expect locusts or something.

I have found that raising the front of the seat even a little raises the rear also, so both the front and rear have to be all the way down. Next you have to move the bottom foreward a bit so you can recline the back more. The steering wheel is quite a reach then, but that's as good as it gets. A tremendous amount of comfort, back seat capacity and even performance was sacrificed for the timeless and even supercar looks of the 8.

It will never be as roomy and comfortable as the ever usefull 3 series, (I just bought one, a '94 325is) but especially late at night after your spine is not being held as straight you can get your head off the roof.

• Okay fellas, we all knew that when we bought our 8's that it was only a 2-seater car! :) Unless you are an infant with chopped off legs,trying to sit in the back seat is futile. Especially behind the driver. I myself am 6'3" 250lbs. This means that my rear seats are just for show. So with that in mind; I have found that if I adjust the seat all the way down to the floor and then lean the back up against the rear seat; then telescope the steering wheel out a bit it is quite comfy. :) Plenty of leg & headroom for a person my size anyway. Peace, Big Nate

• For many that is true, but it depends on the body type. Some have longer torsos than others of the same height. I am only 6'2" yet my head is always on the roof.

One solution may be to have foam removed from the seat bottoms. My uncle has had this done to his 50th aniversary SL500 Mercedes. That car is even more cramped than the 8.

I have concidered removing the rear seat to get more leg room, but the steering wheel only goes back so far. Ideally the wheel should be at your wrist when you have your arms fully extended and your shoulders should still touch the seat back. With the back as far foreward as I can get it with my head not under pressure by the roof, only the first joint of my finger tips reaches the wheel. I drive by leaning off to the right and extending my left hand to the wheel with my left shoulder not touching the seat. This also gets my head under the opening part of the sunroof which is higher than the surrounding part of the headliner.

Removing an inch of foam from the seat bottom would allow me to straighten up the seat back and eliminate the back discomfort and also allow me to get my hands safely on the wheel. An added bonus would be that I could comfortably reach the stereo and other controls. This shouldn't cost more than $100 I would guess at a good upholstery shop.

I may have this done very soon, and if so, will report back here.

• noted!

i'm too 6'-2" and have the issue of bangin my noggin on the roof but you know what...i'm glad i shave my head :D , i just suck it up the rest of the way and enjoy the fact i have the 8.

Do you dig it? :twisted:

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!