WTF!!!!! Wheel info needed!!

• Hi,

Thought I would put up tonights near death experience!!! :shock:

I had a small incident on the M25 tonight, where my rear left wheel fell off. :shock:

As you can imagine, I am not best pleased!!!! :cry:

To stop anyone wondering, luckily i was doing less than 30mph in the inside lane at the time, so i'm ok, and the car could've been far worse than it is!! At least i didn't hit anything - other than the road.

Yep, my new Toyo tyre is gone (found a stream i never knew ran along the edge of the '25!), as is my shiny new MTech valve cap. My new rear disc on that side is now ruined (minimum 6 week wait for a new one to be custom made - and not cheap!), and presumably some of the bits behind it. And the rear bumper will need removing and refitting (although it's not damaged, we had to unclip one edge when getting this on the tow truck, which wasn't easy!!). There is a mark on the rear quarter and the door on the passenger side, where the wheel bounced off the car (i think i may be able to polish this out, don't think it's damaged the panels).

I have heard (from the tow truck guy - used to be into his BM's apparently!), that there was once a re-call for all M5 style alloys (as fitted to my CSI - well, three corners!).
    Does anyone know of this?? Is it true?? Any info would be good!!!
    I would also like to know the exact sizing, spec, etc - as I will have to find a new one. Again, any info will help!

Ever seen a wheel break like this before????
    Like your M5 style wheels, or fancy changing them now???
    The wheel was slightly damaged before (I can only guess the rim was bent slightly on a pothole or something - hadn't noticed anything unusual), but a local place told me it would be fine to refurbish!
    Must have taken one hell of a whack though to cause this!!! Assuming the wheel was ok before (having been re-furbished very recently aswell!).

I have more pics!!!

Rob.

• All i can say Rob is.. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

I wanted a set of those for track days....think again.

That has got to be a manufacturing defect
    I( will look into it tomorrow

Give me a call and I will help you get the bumper etc sorted

T

• :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
    Now that is scary. Thank christ you were only doing 30 on the inside and lucky it was the left wheel so it headed for the countryside and not back into traffic. Other scenarios don't bear thinking about.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• :shock: that looks scary, I've got M5 rims as well, though they don't look like yours if you look closely at the center, I haven't got a center cap on it, it's in 1 piece. They are for sale by the way.

• Now i'm starting to look around for alternative wheels (aftermarket) - can someone advise what size/fitment etc I should be looking for??

I know the standards are 17". Not sure of the width though, front or back!
    Also, what size (and width) can I go up to without causing problems??

Is the fitment the same as any other BMW that the wheel shops/manufacturers will know about??

I'm sure Tee will have all the info for me!!

Cheers,
    Rob.

• CSI widths are 8" front, 9" rear. Offsets are 13mm front, 19mm rear.

I currently have 17" wheels that are 8.5" inch front and 9.5" rear. You can go up to 9" front 10.5" rear which are fitted to Alpinas (18") and that I was looking to fit on mine. Tyre size for the the 10.5 rear is 285/35 on the Alpina.

Got some 17" Throwing Stars if your interested.

93 850 CSI

• I was talking to my local BMW dealer body shop about wheels. My plan was to put Alpina wheels on and keep the standard 16 inches for spare. One of them is a bit damaged, nothing serious, so I asked about re-coating it. his reply may be relevant here. BMW do not recommend refurbishing and re-coating alloys because of some wheel failures. One incident in germany of a wheel failure on an 850CSi at 250kph killed everyone in the car. So BMW refused and recommended against repairing the wheels.

Something, I am assured, to do with atmospheric chemicals in the exposed magnesium alloy being tapped by the new coating and corroding it from inside, whereas in an unrecoated damaged wheel that doesn't happen.

that may all be a load of salesman's bull to get me to buy the Alpinas, but I had already led him to believe I was buying them anyway, so he had nothing to gain.

For what it may be worth.

Peter

• Hmmm. Ok I can understand BMW not recommending damaged wheels being repaired \ refurbished and I am sure there are a incidences of 'repaired wheel failures'. I can also understand BMW saying they don't recommend repainting just to cover themselves airtight as there is no advantage at all to them saying otherwise.

I would like to know however if there has ever been any recorded wheel failure caused by stripping and repainting. I'm no chemist\metallurgist or whatever by I have never heard of it. With the amount of wheels being refurbished by business up and down the country (worldwide) i'm sure something would be known about this.

93 850 CSI

• It could be that BMW are right in extreme cases, eg a CSI owner whose wheel had a bad knock then refurbishes it and drives the autobahn like a Formula 1 car. It may only be such extreme cases that cause the type of failure I was told about. But if you own a performance car and want to use it, it needs to be safe.

Whether the failure reported here is of the same type is impossible to know without further research. It is worth looking in to though.
    Peter

• Agree with you, but if driving a supecar at the extremes with newly repainted wheels I wouldn't be worried, not unless what had be done was a known issue.

93 850 CSI

• Sure, but Robs original post suggests that he bought the wheels knowing they had been damaged, but didn't know how much, then had them re-coated.

All I'm suggesting is that the damage may have been worse than appeared, and if my BMW contact is right, then that might be the cause.
    Peter

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!