850 Wrecked on the Autobahn (German speedway)

• Yesterday my 850 was wrecked on the A1 Autobahn at 120 km/h
    An old man (over 80 years) suddenly went from the right lane (without using his indicator or whatshowever) tot the middle lane (where I was driving) with a much lower speed, he did cut me off while there was no need for him to go to my lane since there was no-one to overtake and certainly not with his speed. At that moment there was 2 meters between us, no room for me to brake so I had to steer to the left lane suddenly to avoid a crash (what would probably kill the old man because of his age).

That's where it went all wrong, because the tarmac was wet I did skid with the rearend (265 tires on wet tarmac is shit to drive while doing such a manouvre) Still I was able to hold the car for at least 20 metres, overtaking the car who did cut me off, but than the rearend did skid the other way, I held it for just some metres but was unable to hold it any longer, I turned 180 degrees and skidded backwards/ sidewards into the guards of the right lane, than the car turned twice around his centre and crashed headon into the leftlane guard.

I could step out of the car, the doors opened as it used to do (even the window went down when I touched the doorhandle) and all that while my drivers side was ruined.
    The interior was in one piece, it looks as if nothing happend, but the exterior is all gone.
    The 850 saved my life, if I had the same crash in my previous car I could not write this.

The old man who cut me off bailed out, but my friend could catch up with him and got his info, he didn't wait for the police though and went off again. The Police is now after him, they know who he is now.

this is a pic from my car after the crash:

My friend has pics from the drivers side of the car, I'll post those later.

I'm very happy I'm all ok, the Hospital couldn't believe I was still walking and now, a day after the crash I had to go to the doctor again, everything is allright, no bruces, broken bones or whatshowever. I can still remember everything and physicly I'm allright. I must have had a guardian angel, I bet it's called "BMW".

When I got the money, I will buy a 850 again, I promise, the car saved my life and I love it.

• Happy to see you are well after that!!

Sorry for the loss of the 850!! But it gave its life to protect you.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• :shock: Good grief.

First time I read this the picture didn't appear and though it didn't sound to bad.

Zitat

The 850 saved my life, if I had the same crash in my previous car I could not write this.

I believe it.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Life saved

Dear Thuur,
    Very glad to hear that you are physically ok. When I read the story and see the pic, then I must think: you can celebrate your second birthday - thanks to your car, I am sure.
    I wish you well and hope, that you will find another fine 8 soon !
    Greetings from Switzerland, Manfred
    PS: I don't know, where you live and what you could afford, but actually Kleissler in Freiburg in Breisgau sells an 850 Ci in Hellrot, low-km, EZ 21.12.1998 ! (http://www.kleissler-automobile.de).

• Happy to know that you'r in good shape.

BMW cars are so safe! and specialy the one that we love .

Hope you will fine a new one very quick !!

Amitié

Philippe GEGOU (AMETHYST)
    BMW Club Serie 8 France
    E31 850 CI 1998 / X3 Drive 30e 2022 / I8 2017 / I3S 2020 / E30 cab 1992

• Thanx all,

Yes I'm glad I'm fine and I'm glad I've bought a BMW 8-series.
    Hopefully I can drive another 850 soon, I'm looking for a 6-speed manual Ci or Csi if I got the chance, my black 850 Ci was a 6 speed manual as well.
    I prefer a black one but as long as it's a 850 it should be fine.

More pics from the drivers-side and so on:

Note that the door could still be opened from both inside as outside without any problems at al, all windows were intact as well, they even functioned! And I was able to get those electronicly down!
    From the inside you couldn't see the car was wrecked, (if you didn't mention the bonnet which was folded) the steering wheel, pedals, dash... nothing was bent or cracked, only the roofliner at the backwindow came loose, but that piece was already ruint when I wanted to change the interiorlight, I had ordered a new one by BMW just days before so it wasn't destroyed by the crash actually.
    Even the trunk opened the way it should do, on the pics you can see a gap but that was because I had to get some stuff out the boot before they towed it, it closed perfectly.

Because all doors opened and closed the way they should do and because all windows sere intact, no gaps were seen at the doors or whatshowever and even the interior looked as if it was new I can conclude that the safetycage works very good! Alll passengers and driver are saved by this construction and all that while the 8 series hasn't got a B-pilar!
    Thank you BMW for saving my life.

My car died to save me, that's for sure.
    Well actually: he wasn't dead, the engine still runs and it did drive to the safetylane before it was towed.

• It just the right car!

hi,
    I'm sorry for your loss of your loyal 850 which had to do what it takes to save the owner. I'm also glad that you are ok.
    One of people I've known from 850 club in S.Korea had his 850i wrecked on highway in the speed of 250km. Incredibly, he've not got injured at all. your case was the old car with slow speed but his case was the worst; he was squeezed by the air port limousine bus which was crusing around 150 km. Guess what happend after all that accident? Without a second thought or doubt, he bought a 850i again! and still enjoys 850.
    If you live in S Korea, you would understand what it means to buy 850 in sequence in Korea. It is die hard thing to get 850 here, especially Ci or CSi.
    Hey, even Koreans choose to stick with 850 after the wrecakage no matter how hard to get one! It just the right car after all!
    So good luck with searching new 850 and safe ride!

• glad your in good health....TOO bad your not in the USA I would have loved to take that 6 speed tranny off your hands....

1991 bmw 850I
    White/light gray
    stock for now!

• I'm pleased to hear you're safe and well. You may have seen my accident report on here earlier this week. No photos, beacuase there is nothing much to see. These cars are so safe it is hard to believe that the passenger/driver area is totally unmarked by the chaos outside.

Peter

• Thanks all!

Yes I'm very happy BMW has thought about the safety of their sportscars, it's unbelievable but when you're in one when it's crashed you're glad you driven a 8-series.

Thanks for all the researsh for a new car, but I have to wait for the insurance to pay, it could take a while.
    And getting a new car out of another country is no problem I would drive far to find a new good beauty, it doesn't mather at all as long as it's a 850 with a 6-speed manual gearbox, a CSI I prefer though.

My car is now back to my city, it's at a local repairshop so an expert can take a look at the damage (it's a totall loss but it's just for the paperwork that an expert must see it). So I drove by today and got some stuff out of the car, but I can tell you: it really hurts to see your 850 like that, they had to put it on rollers to move it, it was as if they put a good running-horse in a wheelchair... horrible.

• I'm glad you're Ok, Most people critisize 8 series because of it's heavyness. I think still being healty after this accident is a good answer those who critisize 8. Strenght of this car is undoubtful

• some pics from the crash (poor quality, they're screenshots from a movie)

Car spins 180 degrees and hits the right guiderails soon after:

Car comes off the right guiderail and spins back twice, towards the left guiderail:

Car just before straight on impact:

Car hits left guiderail straight on:

Car comes off the left guiderail due to it's rotation speed:

Car spins, comes off the ground:

Car finally comes to a hold:

I stepped out of the wreck immidiately and alive:

Note the silver VW Golf in the first photo, he started it all

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!