Who's up to go to the Nurburgring for a 'sedate' drive?

• I've been toying with the idea for a while now and I think it would be awesome to get a group of like minded people together and drive to Germany, pay €60 ish and drive round the track....
    A couple of days should do it...

If I get enough response and enthusiasm then I will organise it.. (we could even meet up with our european buddies if they are willing and able!!!

How about it then? Who's up for it....

I'm thinking june or there abouts.....

Let me know what you all think.

• deutchland treffen

Hi snitz

Nice idea mate, count me in, but a bit worried about raggin the old girl around the track. !!

If its a runner i'd probably extend the trip,and take in some of europe on the way back,

Did you get your brakes done ? only i emailed them 3 weeks ago and still no reply !!!!!!!!!!! Me thinks we could do with some bigger brakes for such a trip , keep me posted

steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• How many laps do you think a set of road tyres would stand ? I'd be interested in the trip but I 've got no track time at all and whilst I think it would seem a bit dumb to go all the way there and not go on the track, I also think it would be a bit dumb on my part to go on the Nurburgring with no track experience. Don't want to sound like a girl but I'd really not be to keen on smashing my car up.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Hi shiggsy

Every body has to start somewhere, i've not done it before but i have a dvd of other guys doing laps.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most popular option seems to book 3-4 laps, a expert will lap in under 9 mins , novices normally set out slower than the pack offering the racing line to the pros, after gaining confidence on lap 1, the 2nd is spent learning where to turn in & max speed per corner etc until one can safly navigate the track.

By the time you're ready to go home,most guys will be confident about going round albeit not so quick as some.

Even Jeremy Clarkson managed it in 12 mins,after other laps around 14-15 mins in a diesel powered jaguar

• steve,
    yeah I saw Clarkson doing that, though he managed to do it in 9.59 and then that girl who's been driving there since she was two and a half or something did it in 9.12.

I'll keep an open mind on it.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Guys what a shit hot idea!

I would love to join you but this year for me is too close. What about a world members rally for next year/ Im in for that.

Keep going with it for this year and lets plan a big bash for next. Could be the biggest thing since sliced bread was invented. Imagine the fun we could have and the lies we could tell. Even the women could come and cook the Barbie!

Whaddayasay chaps?
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi ALEX

It would seem to be a non starter,The same question was raised on the E30 web site and within 2 days there were 10 definates and 8 maybe, so it must be that the 8 owner is not into those sort of thrills.

Me, I've got my name down with the E30 boys so i'll see what it's like when the 325's back end overtakes the front !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• What a bunch of bankers you guys are!

I keep hearing about what a fantastic site and how we need to keep it alive but when it comes down to reality too many of you are just fairweather sailors that play with something other than your gearknobs.

Why is it that there is just a core of us that do all the keeping it alive. we all know who the regulars are and I know we are all individually gratefull for the company and advice available here.

So why is there so little response to the opportunity for a bunch of people with the most unique of cars to get together for a blast at the very breeding and testing ground of the E31.

I wish I didnt live so damned far the other side of the planet. I would give my left nut to be able to be there and share some time with you all. please be there to represent me guys!

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Theo

I'm with you on that one.

when alex 1st posted, all i could see in my mind was was maybe 8-10 eights in convoy across the channel and on to germany, possibly meet with our euro neighbours, and share our enjoyment with our favorite subject.

Most drivers who go to the " ring " don't drive to the point of abusing their cars but just content to be there and do the track at their own pace , so no harm done there !!

i am becoming increasingly fustrated the sites use is stagnating once more and also the lack of curtesy shown by certain members who can't be bothered to reply after they have posted, i've repiled and nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

To make matters worse i then log in to Roadfly and read their input there

THINK THAT SAYS IT ALL

• I think that one of the problems is that we are so geographically diverse here. I'm in GMT-8 hrs, where are You?

When I go to work in the morning most of you are just getting off work in the afternoon or are still in bed.

I see the heaviest traffic when I log on for a few minutes at Noon and I don't have time to answer (long winded as I usually am). So when I get home in the evening the posts have either been answered or I have lost the context in which I would have answered--getting old!

Geographically close groups do have an advantage though. A mini 8 gathering was announced for the Pacific Northwest in August. In less than a week there are 18 cars signed up. Last year we had 28 8's at a concours in Seattle. Two years ago we had 76 in a row on the road at Left Coast 8 Fest in Northern California.

I would love to lap the 'Ring but it seems a bit far.
    I would love to participate in one of the HK Sunday runs.
    I would really like to do a road Tour in Australia or New Zeland.
    But most of all my wife reminds me that I would really like to eat after I retire in just a very few years. So life does have limitations!

I shall continue to do what I can here as long as the site lasts. After all I was the third sign up and am the #2 in member posts even without a Real Country forum to call my own :)

So off to the Weekend I am!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Figure that I ought to throw in a picture of an 8 on the track that wasn't behind a tow truck.

GregK of K-bar fame at maximum dynamic load in the transition between 12 and 13 on Thunderhill in Northern California.

• Terry don't stop writing brother,

like you, I am half a world away in Melbourne Australia and the time zone here is not even close!

I try to throw a little humour into the ring and I dont give a rip if Shiggsy
    has a laugh.

Perhaps we, the old farts of the site are to be the Godfathers (along with Parksie of course) and ensure that we keep the fires burning. Seems to me the young ones are a little less committed and take their rides for granted. Ah well.

like you I have another few rounds in the ring but Im not too far from hanging my gloves up permanently. I intend to fly to the US to buy a motorhome and see what I missed out on in 1976. I see so much similarity between our countries in both lifstyle and geogaphical ly. Also intend to get up to Canada to see my daughter in Whistler Ski resort the up to Alaska.

I'm sure if I gave you a little notice that you could fire up the barbeque and invite Stuart and raise a few more of the 8ers from stateside for a feed and a drink. Might even talk '8'.

Let me know when you are coming down here. We can organise a bed almost any where and regardless of time of year the barbie always firesup fast. You would be most welcome and we could even organise it so the girls have something to get excited over other than cars.

Keep the site alive
    Theo

up

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• If anyone wants to "Pop In" around one of the West coast 8 events I'm sure that arrangements could be made among the enthusiasts here.

Theo
    This place be "Motorhomes and Stuff" between here and Arizona we must have 20% of the dealers in the US :)

I'm looking for a retirement spot by the Ocean in Washington State online today. Probably won't come to anything but kills time.

No Income tax in Washington coupled to "close enough to shop in Oregon" (No Sales Tax) is tempting. Property taxes are low and property prices are far lower than here in Portland.

So anyway, I have no intention of slowing my rate of posting. This is a quiet place, where the only flames so far are roasting a to remain nameless individual over a slow fire :) A few more posts per day would be good though.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry,

tell me more about the MOTORHOMES. I have been looking at ebay for 30 to 35 footers. Probably around 1988 or 89 vintage but maybe younger. I need to check the latest on our stupid import regs. Was 5 years old to qualify for personal import but I believe it has changed again to 16 yo.

My gues is ebay but you may have some ideas. Perhaps I should fly into Van and then drive down for a look and see. How long and how mqny miles down to Aloha and then where does the line up start and finish?

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!