Error code - TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG

• Hi all,

I have just sorted out problems with my batteries and now when I start the car I get the TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG error code, please reffer to manual. I did not get a user manual when i bought the car so have no way of finding out why this is coming up or what to do about it. If anyonwe can help it would be much appreciated also if you have a list of error codes or a user manual in pdf format that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Vimal
    PS - I need to get this running ASAP so I can come to the meeting on the 22nd.

• Thanks for the info on the meet (will do my best to see you all there). The MSG is definatley not a typo as I have seen it with my own eyes. Apparently it means the batteries are low on charge or there is a fault in memory. As I dont have an owners manual I cant be sure if this is right.
    The funny thing is that if I disconnect the battery earth leads from the body and leave it for a while, reconnect the earth leads, it starts (just). If i turn it off and start it again it starts like a dream. The problem will happen again if I lock the car and leave it for 30mins (TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG) comes and haunts me again. An idea's anyone?

• Hi there,
    The only time i come across the trans fail on the obc is with
    the car in " Park" but the P does not light up, ( must just miss
    the sensor ) , as soon as i moved the lever to show P, turned ignition
    off then on again every thing was OK.

ron. 8)

• Trans Fail-safe Prog

Hi,

I have the manual in front of me and it says

"TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG" Defective electronic control unit on automatic transmission cars See page 71

Page 71 says

Shift Electronics

If the warning light comes ( an ! in a circular cog wheel) on or the "TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG" appears on the Check Control, there is a malfunction in the shift electronics or the automatic tranmission.

All selector lever positions can still be selected, but in any forward gear position, only 4th and 5th geras are actually available.

Avoid severe loads and take car to nearest BMW Service point.

Hope this is of any help, although the last bit doesn't comfort you much does it?

• Test the batteries again before you resort to the Dealer. Repeated re-starts can drop the voltage low enough to give the message.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I face this problem last week when i try to drive my car after two weeks in the garage. I shut off the car and restart again then everything come to order. what is the possible caused? maybe i need to change the ATF? any suggestion?

• The first Low voltage caused error message always seems to be the Trans Prog error.

Low voltage is caused by the batteries discharging over time or repeated attempts to start the engine. Two weeks is plenty of time for some of these cars to discharge to that point. Others may take longer or shorter periods of time to reach that point.

Starting the engine but not running it long enough to make up the lost charge does it too.

When the batteries are fully charged there should be no transmission error message. There is quite probably nothing wrong with the transmission.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I had this come on when my altenator was defective. The transmission electronics is highly sensitive to fluctuations in voltage. Once the engine is running the altenator should be producing enough juice to re-charge the batteries, so electronic circuits should not be short of power.

Are you getting this message all the time or only at night (ie when the headlights are on)? If so you might check that your altenator output is high enough, as well as checking the batteries. After all, if the batteries are not being topped up enough, it could again be the altenator at fault.

I had my altenator re-built for under £100, though the cost of removing it and fitting it almost trebled that. Even so, that was still less than half the price of a new one, even without the fitting

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!