840 as a Daily Driver?

• I am considering buying an 8 series as a daily driver in Maryland. My Audi is on it's last leg, so I need to replace it. I'm a member of a Boxster Board and have found forums such as these a great wealth of information, so I"m hoping to get some feedback here before I make a purchase. I've always loved the 8 series, but how many of you really use it as a Daily Driver? Reliability issues? Thanks for the feedback.

• Shaboody I use my 840ci as a daily driver, I cover 38,000 miles a year as its my work vahicle in the last year I have had to replace 2 lower control arms and 2 sets of tyres (tires) :D Only normal servicing and lubricants, bought my 95 840 in june 04 with 64,000 miles on it and now have 121,000. still going strong despite being stolen /recovered, Mark

• Mine is a daily driver also. Still going strong at 144,000 miles on the original engine.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks for such a quick reply. This sounds promising. I have a great mechanic for my Boxster S that also services BMWs, so repairs don't frighten me too much. That said, I'm still not sure I want to end up with two high maintenance cars, or two cars that I don't want to park at the airport, etc. With the Audi going, I'm looking at this as an opportunity to finally buy the 8 that I've always loved. Of course, before that, I loved the 635Csi that Hawk always drove in "Vegas" .

This forum was a great find. Thanks again for the feedback.

• I have spent almost nothing for maintenance of broken things in the 2 years I have owned mine.

BUT I have in several cases used things like worn out front struts to start a modification chain that I wanted to do. Like Bilstien struts all the way around and while we are at it how about springs and camber plates :) . Well Kbar sway bars sound good too :) And then the tires are getting a bit thin so how about all the Goodyear F1 tire that I can stuff into the wheelwells :D Oh and now it needs to be re-geared so I can try to burn those 285's on the rear.

The E31 is ADDICTIVE!!!! So is trying to get the next little bit of performance out of one :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I aggree with Terry, although i've already spent a lot more on my new 8 than I had anticipated. I attribute that to not having the car checked out before purchasing it from a friend. I've had to replace lots of little bits and pieces, including most of the front suspension, but it's by far the most satisfying car I've driven. To be able to get in it everyday and make the way too short commute to work is a thrill. If you've wanted one for a while and have a good mechanic, why not go for it? You only live once, as the saying goes.

Paul

• Repairs in 12 mths

Ok I have an 850i a 1991
    Ive spent 8000 USD

Necessity
    New Tires
    Brake Master cylinder
    Steering linkage
    Steering ball Joint
    Steering idler bushes
    Shocks
    Suspension
    torsion Bars
    Underpining bushings
    Upper and Lower Control Arms
    Expansion Tank
    Front Low Beam Light bulbs

Nice to Have
    ACS styled bodykit
    Respray front nose
    Exhaust Tips
    Spacers front and rear
    Starter Motor for sunroof
    Repair wheel rims

Needed
    OBComputer

I am due a service next Month USD - 400 budget
    MOT 200
    Road Tax 12 mths 1,400 UD

I have covered 3000 in 11 mths

Cheers

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    1995 factory CSi sport kit
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

• Richard,

Thanks for the post. You've made me feel better about the $3000 in parts I've spent on mine so far. I'm hoping that after the front suspension work is done I can take a breather for a while and save up for those 18" wheels I want. Forgot to mention that I also spent about $1000 getting the stereo upgraded to iPod compatible and XM radio service. And I bought this car to do away with a car payment!

Paul

• BUY IT !!!!! These cars are the best, You can hardly go anywhere without someone saying something to you about it, mainly because they are rare, I drive mine everyday and aside from the thirsty 12-cylinder eating gas like a Hummer it is fantastic. With the 8-cylinder you won't have that problem. Good-Luck..

DMP

• And, there is nothing quite like driving a 12 cyl. I "traded up" from a '04 G35 coupe that was quite a bit faster than my 850, but as good as the Infiniti was, the 8 is better. More refined at 13 years older, more satisfying, and more stylish in my opinion (not humble). Go for it!

Paul

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!