BMW 850CI Individual Platinum Edition ??

• Hello everybody !
    well im new and i have been in love with the 850 for a really long time now and now i saw one for sale, but there is something special abt it,
    i was looking at the interior and i saw a plate saying its a platinum edition nbr 2/50 :shock: after looking at it more i saw a patinum edition plate on the sides..
    did anybody hear of these cars? anybody know how much they are worth?

thank you very much everybody!

• Platinum Edition 850Ci

Welcome to ClubE31.

We're glad you're here.

Yes, there were special edition 8's.

There was the Platinum Edition M73 850Ci, primarily targeted for the Middle East market, from 1998-99 --> a total of 59 have been documented through the 2005 BMW 8 Series Inventory Project (see www.8coupe.com). These cars had higher trim levels and were easily identified as having a Jet Black ( code 668 ) or Cosmos Black ( code 303 ) roof with select colors (e.g. Titan Silver, etc.). These cars were not known to be numbered or have a plaque.

Then there was the Alpina M73 850Ci. Supposedly there were 15 produced and numbered by Alpina. However, Alpina has not officially acknowledged that these are true Alpinas, saying: "The only official Alpina 8 Series cars were the Alpina B12 5.0 and 5.7.

There's one Alpina in the Middle East (United Arab Emirates) that's number 2 out of 15. Is it possible you're referring to this car?

See here the pix of this car:

From official BMW Middle East website records:
    "Middle East. The first BMW assembly plant in the Middle East was opened in June 1997 in Egypt. Exclusively for the Middle East, BMW is building a limited edition of its most powerful coupe, the BMW 850 Ci Alpina, including Alpina rims and complete Alpina interior with special interior leather and exterior colors. Only 15 cars will be built."

Finally, there were 298 M62 840Ci Japan Individuals for the Japanese markt. These LHD drive cars were given the BMW Motorsport trim treatment. They were only offered in Hellrot, Avus Blue, and Artic Silver. All came with Cosmos Black roofs.

Can you share with us a link to the car you're looking at? Can you provide the VIN so I can validate the car? Pictures?

• Hello again,
    excuse me for the delay but i was travelling alot these days, i forgot my camera so i dont have any pics now, but yes the car is in the middle east in saoudi arabia to be exact. I clearly saw the plaque with :
    BMW individual platinum edition
    02/50
    I dont remember seeing a special roof i think it was of the color of the car, a very special blueish-green (sea color)
    its not the one in the pics, wish i saw that one though :lol:
    ill try to ask someone to get me the VIN number, can u tell me exactly where it is located ? thank you for your help Jud!

• Zitat

yes the car is in the middle east in saoudi arabia to be exact. I clearly saw the plaque with : BMW individual platinum edition 02/50

There was some unusual counterfeiting that went on during the late 90's with BMW's in the Middle East. However, this might be legit even though this is the first time I've heard of a plaque on a BMW Platinum edition. However, ALL Platinum editions had black roofs. Potentially this car may have been either 1) repainted; 2) counterfeited; or its 3) legitimate. The only way I'll be able to verify this for you is that we'll need the last 7 digits of the VIN (it will start with CC4XXXX).

Zitat

ill try to ask someone to get me the VIN number, can u tell me exactly where it is located ?

The VIN could be located in several places. Since Middle Eastern countries used the same VIN numbering scheme as North America, the VIN could be in the lower left part of the windshield in front of the driver. Or it could be found under the hood.

I look forward to seeing pictures and getting the VIN.

Cheers,

• Hey Jud!

After 5 years i have finally purchased an 8. We found a 1998 850 with the typical black roof and with a 2 tone interior. The steering wheel is white along with the dash and it has wooden panels. the chassis nbr is cc41786.

This one does not have the plaque we discussed (a very long time ago). I strongly beleive its a platinum edition, but since there might have been some counterfeiting i would love to make sure, through your connection.

Do you think we can still check?

Thanks!

• :winkwink: CC41786 is a Platinum Edition. Congrats!

( :banghead: Sorry, of course Alpina Edition was wrong! :oops: Doing more than three things - beside work :laugh: - was a little bit to much today!)

Abfrage Fahrzeugdaten / Individualdaten
    Individualdaten vorhanden
    Fahrgestellnummer:
    Typschlüssel: EG41

850CI Farbart.-schlüssel: U 490

SONDERLACKIERUNG
    Polstercode: Z1XX
    SONDERPOLSTERUNG
    Motor-Nr.:
    Getriebe-Nr.:
    0156499ZPZ

Produktionsdatum:

Sonderausstattungen:
    199A AUSSTATTUNG BLEIHALTIGER KRAFTSTOFF
    211A DUMMY
    216A SERVOTRONIC
    243A AIRBAG FUER BEIFAHRER
    245A LENKSAEULENVERSTELLUNG ELEKTRISCH
    353A GRUENKEIL-FRONT- UND HECKSCHEIBE
    401A SCHIEBE-HEBEDACH, ELEKTRISCH
    416A SONNENSCHUTZROLLOS
    423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS
    431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND
    459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY
    481A SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER
    528A AUTOMATISCHE UMLUFT CONTROLL (AUC)
    540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG
    548A KILOMETERTACHO
    623A AUTOTELEFON (GSM)
    670A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL
    672A CD WECHSLER 6-FACH
    676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM
    690A CASSETTENHALTERUNG
    710A M LEDERLENKRAD
    715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET
    773A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG
    782A M LM RAEDER SYSTEM II
    806A 3.BREMSLEUCHTE
    822A GOLF-AUSFUEHRUNG
    823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG
    841A SA-PAKET-PSEUDO-SCHL.-NR.
    845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG
    850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT
    853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH
    864A SERVICE KONTAKT-FLYER UEBERSEE
    880A ENGLISCH/BETRIEBSANL./SERVICEHEFT
    925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET
    940A SONDERWUNSCH AUSSTATTUNG
    993A MODELLJAHRESCODE

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• Zitat von 8Harry8;92186

:winkwink: CC41786 is an Alpina Edition. Congrats!

@ Harry: Hast Dich vor lauter Freude ein bißchen vertan mit der Edition...:toothbrush:
    @ Erstens: Über die "Sonderausstattung" (822a?:hmmmm:) kam der Kat. wieder abhanden...:roll:

Hello Feras,

congrats to your Platinum Edition.:top: It's realy a beauty! How are the conditions and where have you found your car? I'm curious about the details,:mrgreen-angel: as I bought last year also a Platinum Edition.

Regards
    Rainer

• Translation:

Vehicle data query / Individual data
    Individual data available
    VIN:
    Type Code: EG41

850Ci Farbart.-key: U 490

SPECIAL PAINT
    Upholstery code: Z1XX
    SPECIAL UPHOLSTERY
    Engine number.:
    Gearbox no.:
    0156499ZPZ

Production Date:
    06/24/1998

Special Features:
    199A EQUIPMENT Leaded fuel
    211A DUMMY
    216A SERVOTRONIC
    243A AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER
    245A LENKSAEULENVERSTELLUNG ELECTRICAL
    353A GREEN WEDGE FRONT AND REAR WINDOW
    401A SLIDING LIFTING ROOF, ELECTRIC
    416A Sun blinds
    FLOOR MATS, VELOUR 423A
    431A INTERIOR MIRROR, automatically dimming
    459A ADJUSTABLE SEAT, MEMORY ELEKTR.MIT
    481A SPORT SEATS F DRIVER / FRONT PASSENGER
    528a AUTOMATIC RECIRCULATION CONTROL (AUC)
    540A CRUISE CONTROL
    548A KILOMETERS TACHO
    623a CAR PHONE (GSM)
    670A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL
    672A CD CHANGER 6-WAY
    676A HIFI SPEAKER SYSTEM
    690A CASSETTE HOLDER
    710A M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    715A M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
    773A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG
    LM 782A M WHEELS SYSTEM II
    806A 3rd brake light
    GOLF-822A VERSION
    HOT COUNTRY-823A VERSION
    SA-841A-PSEUDO Schl. PACKAGE NO.
    845A ACOUSTIC seat belt warning
    850A add. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT
    853A ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION
    864A-FLYER SERVICE CONTACT OVERSEAS
    ENGLISH 880A / BETRIEBSANL. / SERVICE BOOKLET
    SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE 925A
    940A SPECIAL REQUEST EQUIPMENT
    993A MODEL YEAR CODE

Individual vehicle data
    Remaining Interior:

---- Individual control

BMW Individual sign

0490 painting

Special paint "arctic silver" as key. No. 309th
    Contrasting paint "Black II" as key. No. 668 in the roof
    area including cover air inlet hood.

Z1XX pad

Full leather interior nappa silver gray light
    (No. 8.12435 million) stage 3,
    (Without Instrumententraeger, scoop, front passenger airbag cover, glove
    box lid and cover defroster)
    plus instrument cluster bezel and frame for Lueftungsgitter,
    Selector lever and the backrest pockets on the front seats.

Piping on the driver's and passenger's seats in nappa black (No. 1938942)

Remaining interior Nappa leather like silver gray, light
    Schl.Nr. M5SH

0940 Special Request Equipment

Elimination phone antenna disc

Roof-mounted telephone antenna Kathrein K707764 D-net, 100 mm,
    Part no. 2 137 359.9

Kidney Chromausfuehrung
    (Analogous E31 Individual Selection Japan)

Park Distance Control (PDC) rear

Silver rim completely gray Nappa leather bright
    Quilting thread like pale silver gray series.

Sounds excellent - but what's a GREEN WEDGE FRONT AND REAR WINDOW?

• Hey everyone!

Wow i was surprised by how quick all of you replied! Thank you for all the details!

8Harry8: thanks for the details!
    Timm: thanks for the translation!
    neuhier: thank you and congrats on ur platinum edition (which looks great btw)!

Well as angler said we found it in saudi arabia. I have family working there and we fell on this platinum edition by mistake. My father used to drive a 91 850i and met the owner of the platinum edition by mistake who was one of his customers.

A few years later that customer wanted to sell it and its now ours! Over all the interior is a bit less sparkling than the pictures. But i will take care of that next week when i send the car to get it detailed. Over all its in good mechanical condition with 90 000 kms except for 2 things

1 the general module failing each time i drive it for some time with ac on (which i will fix tom)
    2 there is a shake when the car switches from 1st to 2nd gear. I think that it is the gear rubber mounts that are dry after spending so much time in saudi (any other ideas?). I am still trying to find a good mechanic here in Dubai to get that fixed asap.

I am now using the car as a daily driver in Dubai, so if ever one of you are in the area, let me know!!

• Hi everyone, Feras and J. Frank I am currently working in Abu Dhabi - I don't have my 8 with me but would love to see this special version give me a nudge and lets meet up

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!