Should you buy an 8 Series?

• A distant relative emailed me to ask if I thought they should consider buying an 8 Series.
    Below is what I emailed as my "advice".
    Thought I'd share it with you.
    Is it fair or should I be drummed out of the club?

"If you want the ultimate in 21st century acceleration, buy something else.
    If you want the absolute last word in 21st century handling, buy something else.
    If money is absolutely no object, there are newer more impressive cars out there.
    If you are an average person, who wants good handling and good performance, delivered effortlessly in comfort and safety, with unparalleled road presence, well, this car could be for you.
    These cars cost an absolute fortune when new, but prices have fallen to the extent that mine, for example, cost me £58,000 less than its new price.
    So now they are very affordable, yet still look like they shouldn’t be. Servicing and parts are pricey, but not outrageous.
    Ignore all the official road tests, which are largely plagiarised anyway, and totally miss the point.
    See one in the flesh – photos just don’t them justice.
    Drive one and you'll soon know if you’ve been hooked.
    Make sure you look at several, because they vary hugely and there are enough about (just) to be choosey.
    I bought one so I’m biased, but the fact that I bought one of these and not something else is significant in itself.......and I am very choosey indeed!"

• Great summary...but the rarity value is something else ....30k cars produced over 10 years !

Compare that to E63 Six series , I bet (and would love to know the figures ?) that already since 2004 there are more E63's than E31's ?

When I ordered a 630i Coupe as a Co Car last year I was offered over 60+ cars ex-stock in UK dealers ...something I guess would never have happened with the 8's ?

• Zitat

If you have to ask, then don't bother. Thank you.

Good point, in most cases. I also asked myself the question if I should buy one. This was related to the fact that all my money would go into the 8. It's matter of choice; do I take a vacation three times a year or do I drive an 8. I'm only 26 and at the bottom of the workladder, but the 8 has been my dream since I was 10 years old. So I had to ask myself the question. But you're right the admiration should win (in most cases).

Peter

• Zitat von Hemibum

:shock:
    If you have to ask, then don't bother. Thank you.

A bit harsh perhaps - couldn't really have sent that as a reply to my enquiring relative.
    However, I did invite comments, so all views very welcome. :wink:

• No offence taken. :wink:

But honestly, this distant relative of mine likes the look of the Eight, he found out I had one via my website, so he contacted me and asked me for some advice and my own views about the car as an owner before looking more seriously to buy one himself.

I don't know if he's rich or poor or what he wants from a car, so I sent him a general comment, which I also posted here to see what others thought.

Got the debate going, which is what it's all about :)

• Hi,

I guess my point was that most 8s are quite old and they cost a lot of money to maintain and keep in good shape. If you don't really like the car, you'll be anoyed by every bill you get. Most people I know suspect a car to be ok all the time and a trip to the dealer is a bad neccessity. I for one am happy with every repair, because it means the car is in better shape that before. You'll have to be sure that you'll be prepared to spend money on the car.

Peter

• Hi all, first post and joined about two minutes ago...in fact found site 30 minutes ago and have own my 840 for 14 days. It took me about 30 days to decide what car I was going to buy. And looking at all sort and then testing one of these bad boys my mind was made up.

Worth every penny and until now ~I thought I was the only one out there.

Anyway, nice choice everyone. here's a pic of my new wheels.

• UK Zero, Sorry, wasn't being sarcastic, but the decision to purchase an 8 can never be a decision based on logic. Therefore there's not a lot of point in looking for opinions. You either want one or you don't. :wink:

Christophe, nice one mate and welcome. :D

• Spot on Zero. Never a car to be purchased for all the normal reasons but sometimes the heart rules th ehead and you become intoxicated. All sounds a bit fluffy but believe me, after having one in the 90's, selling it to buy an XJR, I just couldnt get it out of my head!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!