ECU Replacement??

• Concidering that the engines in our cars are "ancient technology" and prone to problems
    I was thinking of replacing the whole engine controll unit and the ignition unit.
    thereby removing the stoc distributor caps, and the injection sytem completly.

The replacement system I was looking at is made by Haltech.
    http://www.haltech.com/e6x.htm

By doing this I could discard having engine electronic problems in the future, and because then I can map the enging in any way I want, to tweek the last power out of the engine.

Anyone tried to do a mod. like this on an 850???

Why do this?
    Well, I'm going to replace just about every part of the ignition system anyway, replase the exhaust gas sensors, and maybe even the air flow sensors aswell.
    So instead of putting the same stuff back on the engine, why not replace the old technology for some new stuff.
    It might actually be cheaper to do the upgrade then replacing the stock parts.
    I live in a country where things are expensive, just replaced the spark plugs and they set me back more than 200$ (US) WITH a huge discount, (asking price was over 400$) mind you these where top of the line NGK Platinum spark plugs.
    So paying 1400$ US for a Haltech system is peanuts..... Just the distributor caps with rotors are 450$ at my BMW dealer.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Don't forget that the engine controls including the electronic throttle control do swap signals both ways with the rest of the car.

Integration to get the rest to work again and together with the new bits will probably be more work than the engine control conversion :(

My personal feelings that the problems the Ancient systems will generate over time may be less than the problems generated in conversion.

But then I know people that thrive on challenges like this. Would you be doing all of the integration yourself? Or paying someone for all or part of the labor?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I'll probably do the conversion my self, but leave the mapping to an expert.

I'm confident I'll be able to do this mod, I've worked with the electrical systems on airplanes for 10 years, and now I'm working with oil rig drilling controll systems.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• These folks were doing a distributorless conversion on their modified M70.
    You may want to contact them. But it looks like they chip the original system now (parts list includes 2 chips)

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/

And G-Power may be doing something also http://www.g-power.de/740.html?&L=1

But it reads as if they are just writing chips now also.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• thanks, will look into these.
    I've got all the time in the world to do this, I'm about to park the car for the winter, and it won't be used again untill April at the earliest.
    So i've got plenty of time to tinker with it :D

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von peter1980

It seems G-power is capable of transplanting a 550 bhp V10 from the m5 into the 8 :shock: Sweet.

Almost anything is possible with enough money :(

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Given the motors in the 8 arent that hot for v8's I have always toyed with the idea of a 340c.i. Mopar engine to spice things up and get some real horse power, I had a Challenger that would run 12.80 quarter mile times, the engine was same weight as 840 but put out 450 hp, plenty of room in engine bay.

Its on;y the looks that attract me to 8's the motors are not that hot considering the complexity. I.M.H.O :D

• My favorite thought was replacing a bad Nicasil V8 with a LS-whatever GM engine and transmission. Real cheap horsepower up to about 600 there 8)

Of course I would have to do black and silver engine covers with BMW markings on them just for the confusion factor :D

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• All your problems are solved if you install an M62 and a Vortec blower.

400 Hp with no dizzy, no plug leads and quad cams that can rev their ring out without a spanner or modification.

Which came first Terry? the M60 or the Ford modular or was it the same design team on CRACK?

For those of you not yet convinced check the archives on Steve's car

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I suppose that it comes down to what you start with and where you want to end up :( Unfortunately that requires planning and $$$ :o

Here in the US it would cost about $7000 to supercharge to 400 hp and $5000+ to convert to a 6 speed on an 840.

For probably much less than $10,000 I could have about 500 to 600 hp and a 5 or 6 speed manual using an aluminum American GM V8.

Now bear in mind that I have no intention of carving my Little Silver Mistress up to do this :D It would have to be another 840 with the dreaded Nicasil problem.

The first design goal would be to make it reversible by using adapters rather than cutting out chunks to make room--No Dinan Z8's here :shock:

Nightmares every night for months interfacing the Electrics of course :( but Plug and Play with a kit for sale at the end of course.

At this point it is Dream and not Nightmare and it will probably stay that way for a while.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!