Daily driver / annual mileage?

• Hi,

New to the board, but not BMW's. :) So far I've had an e30, e24 and e46. I've also driven many e32's and a few e39's.

I'm thinking about an 8er as my daily driver. I do about 20k to 25k miles a year. Is this a realistic mileage to expect an 8er to live up to without a string of expensive repair bills? Which would cope better, the 840 (4.4) or 850? Fuel consumption isn't an issue.

My e46. :)

TIA!
    Jules.

• Hi,

I think it would depend on the milage on the car you buy and the overal condition it is in. I've bought a 8 with more that 200k km on it and then things are worn and have to be replaced, which is expensive. If I look at others with the same milage, then I see the have the same problems. I don't how this is with cars with (a lot) less milage.

Peter

• Personally speaking i do not think an 8 would be a good prospect with 25k a year going on the clock, assuming the average model will possibly have 60000 to 100000 miles and needing around 3k spending immediatly, 2to 3 yrs down the line another 3/4k to spend add to that servicing, tyres, exhaust, cats,& electrical glitches to put right :shock: i think you'd need preety deep pockets,that said you could be lucky :? .

Best tip, buy a good one & use it occasionally you will love it :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but, surely in the real world , using an 8 series, as a daily driver, the 840 must work out as more wallet friendly.

Basically, fewer gizmos to go wrong, smaller capacity engine for fuel consumption , lower insurance, lower servicing costs. How about the driveability with a lighter engine up front ? Sorry, never driven an 850, but cant help but believe that lighter engine equates to better handling???

I'm sure I'm going to be slagged off by all you V12 owners out there, but I'm trying to put reality into perspective. :)

• I bought my 840 with 64000 miles on it in June 2005 it now has 14700 miles and it has cost £600 in front end bits (bushes.Lower control arms) 3 sets of tyres lpg, oil, petrol, two sets of brake pads and thats it!

When all's said and done they were £60,000 worth of car new so must have been reasonably well engineered. Dont baby them, its not like they're rare collectors items.

Buy one, drive one, bin it and buy another, cheap as chips at the moment :D

• My '94 840 is a daily driver here in Aust., I bought it at Christmas time last year and I use it for business as well as pleasure, sure it can be expensive, but it's worth every cent !!

I will do about 15-20 K a year and it is currently on 99,100kms.

Most of the expense so far has been more to do with lack of respect and care by the former owner and age, rather than mileage.

The company pays my fuel though so this is a big expense I don't need to think about.

Cheers Helpsy

• Daily driver for me too. Fuel is not the issue really. I had a 2.2 litre C Class Merc before this and fuel consumption was only about 50% less on average. However, now my engine is twice the size, so that makes it really only 25%, plus the smile on my face is 100% bigger so it follows that it's 25% cheaper than my Merc in 'real' terms :D

Seriously though....... Regarding environMENTAL issues, if I'd spent £10K on a brand new car I'd have contributied 100% extra CO2 as the direct result of the energy USED to extract the Metal & Rubber & leather (methane issues here :shock: ) from the earth, process it, design, develop and actually build the new car which STILL emitts CO2 daily. So by acquiring a second hand 8 series you are in fact saving the planet, despite emitting slightly more CO2 on a daily basis through your larger engine.

There is logic here and this is why it would be PLAIN WRONG to tax in retrospect existing larger cars as dangerous to the environment because to down size and buy a Brand New smaller one negates any of the CO2 saving your brand spanking new 'sensible' car might offer at the Petrol Pumps. 8)

I have no problem with Brand New 645s being taxed to death as of NOW, but to do it in retrospect is simply a revenue raiser for the Gorvernment. I must note though, in case you're wondering, I have no axe to grind for any political party in UK as they are all now saying Green Taxes are the way forward. They are all wrong on this particular issue and simply have £££ signs in their eyes.

a life in politics awaits........... Sadly not :lol:

• When all's said and done they were £60,000 worth of car new so must have been reasonably well engineered. Dont baby them, its not like they're rare collectors items.
    [Marks quote]
    Thats very true, but by modern day standards 32,000 units sold in 10yrs f**k me thats rare :D

3 weeks ago i & 3 others attended a South west meet ,mainly 3 series boys & obviously quite a bit younger than youre average 8 owner, they all remarked it was indeed a rare sight to see 4 8's together in the West of England,to this day the thread re our meet is still running with interest,such was the enthusiasm of these younger petrol heads for our 8's :lol:

• Tony,

You have a good point there. However, I think it only applies when you replace a car that is still in good condition or when you buy an extra car. In that case there would be extra energy involved in whatever form. On the other hand, if the 8 is worn so that it can not be saved or the costs (in terms of energy) would be just as high as buying a new one, then actually buying a new environment friendly car would probably be best. So basically, what it comes down to is this: Don’t buy a new car if it is not a necessity. But if you have to, buy an environment friendly car.
    To be honest, I will not follow reason on this matter. If the 8 ever dies, I’ll put all the energy into restoring it as is needed. Also, I’ll always be buying cars with big engines. I just love them to much.

Cheers,

Peter

• Peter, Well considered reply, but, as someone pointed out earlier, with the extremely low world wide unit sales, then our 8s are one of the least polluting automotive contributors to Global Warming! One should also consider the perfectly human conditioning involved , the ownership of anything that gives you a buzz. A basic desire to posess something that defines something in your heart.

Don't even need to mention the emotionally inspired reactions to the car from people who have never seen one. A collective "feel good factor" in people should never be underestimated and should be balanced with collective environmental resposibility.

If the greenies get their way , your grandchildren will be banned from visiting the Louvre or Venice or any historical cultural site, because of the "environmental footprint".

Me, as soon as I get back to the UK I'll be burning fuel, oil, rubber, tarmac, and anything else in the sheer hedonistic pleasure of enjoying the benifits of using what I've worked bloody hard to attain. :D

I wonder, if I were to donate my 8 to Greenpeace if they'd auction it or scrap it ?? :roll:

• That is exactly what I meant with my last comment, why I would do everything I can can to maintain the 8 and keep it to bring smiles to my face (and others). If we would put all this into the scale, it would tilt towards owning the 8 (utilitarism is in our favour, I'm sure). And yes, hedonism is not a bad word :lol

• Dont get me wrong I love my 8 but I dont subscribe to the use it on sunny days, weekend warrior mentality, only downside of daily use is sometimes long bonnet/hood makes parking a pain.

To my mind having 2 one for daily use and one in a climate controlled environment as an investment is the way to go if you can afford it, the middle ground of putting miles on it plus trying to keep it in a pristine condition at vast expense doesnt do it for me.

I maintain mine and yes there are stone chips and car park scrapes but that suits me fine, as long as I can DRIVE IT!

YEAH BAABY :D

• Mark, are you saying you have 3x 8 series? And, even with 3 of them you can't park the bloody thing ??? An investment ?? Best of luck, if that's the way you see ownership, good for the rest of us, except people looking to get into the 8 experience. Also, how does keeping (oneof them) in "pristine" condition involve you in so much expense?

Ever thought that you maybe bought into the wrong car ?? :roll:

• Zitat von Hemibum

Mark, are you saying you have 3x 8 series? And, even with 3 of them you can't park the bloody thing ??? An investment ?? Best of luck, if that's the way you see ownership, good for the rest of us, except people looking to get into the 8 experience. Also, how does keeping (oneof them) in "pristine" condition involve you in so much expense?

Ever thought that you maybe bought into the wrong car ?? :roll:

WTF :shock: Barking up the wrong tree dude, :oops:

• Just consider me the Lost Colonist

I used to play bloody hell with the Ugly American tourists that I ran across when I lived in Italy in the late 60's. So I guess that I am not quite right for an American anyway.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!