on board computer doesnt work

• hi everyone
    I bought my 1991 850 over the summer and have spent a fortune to get it to as good as new condition since then, but one thing that i havent been able to fix is the obc. i just bought one on ebay and was dissapointed to see that the problem is elsewhere .
    does anyone have any ideas where i should look? do you think the lampcontrol monitor has anything to do with it? it doesnt even turn on.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Razman

• Is fuse F31` in the rear power distribution box good? Sometimes just re-seating the fuses fixes the connection.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks for the reply
    All of a sudden i get 2 replies :) ,
    The last owner had installed an aftermarket cd player. I took it out and put in the stock equipment + cd changer and to my surprise the obc started working.
    Some how the problem was connected to the sound system on the 8.
    Just have the dead pixel problems now.
    I have a 1991 euro model which has the 1 plug on the back of the Obc, my question is do all the 8`s have the Obc with 1 plug and if so what do the ones with 2 plugs do that mine doesn`t do.
    I read the posts on this sight a lot and find it very helpful, but haven`t found my answer in the searches i have done and since i have dead pixels i dont know what kind of info the obc is supposed to give me.
    thanks again for your help.

• Where are you located? In the US BMW has a partial replacement program fo replacing the MID (What is commonly called the OBD)

The two plug MID is wired differently and doesn't work in the E31. It doesn't do anything different,

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I have read about so called silent obc recall in the USA on this site, but I am located in Canada so it wont help me.
    So the obc we have on the 8 is capable of letting us know whats not working?

• Noah you read the thread correctly, but both of them have pixel problems, i might send one to that e-bay guy and see what he can do with it. will let you know if it gets fixed.

• Zitat von ziggystardust;74572

hey guys will a e36 3 series obc work on cars? mine is dead, cant afford a new unit........

No, despite the almost identical appearance it's a completely different and incompatible unit. The E31 MID is unique to the E31. Is yours completely dead, or does it malfunction?

Every once in a while used or refurbished E31 MIDs show up on eBay.

• thanks, yes it is dangerously bad, almost unreadable, and trying to clean it didn't help, nothing on the bay at the moment but will keep an open eye

:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

Zitat von revtor;74573

No, despite the almost identical appearance it's a completely different and incompatible unit. The E31 MID is unique to the E31. Is yours completely dead, or does it malfunction?

Every once in a while used or refurbished E31 MIDs show up on eBay.

• From your description it seems you just have the dreaded dead pixels issue, right? Every E31 MID will look like that sooner or later. Bad design of the link between LCD display and printed circuit board by Borg, the manufacturer of the units. The good news is, this can be fixed. Guido is specialized in repairing E31 MIDs. Guido's contact info:

I'm told Guido is currently in shortage of spare parts for the E31 MID. Some have already been waiting for months, so it may be best to inquire first. Note that Guido does not repair units that have been tampered with (e.g. failed DIY repairs, contact cleaner,...). If I remember correctly Guido charges 100 EUR for the repair. After being repaired the units should last for many, many years.

• I just now spoke with Guido and the situation is currently the same. He's quite frustrated with the runaround he's getting from the company making the circuit boards, but they have promised them to him sometime this month. I'm one of those people who've been waiting nearly a year on these. If this wasn't a spare I'd have bought new long ago.

• thank you both guys, i'm afraid my unit has been tampered with, and the connections are quite loose, so i guess a rebuy is needed , i remember in some post stating that if he cant fix them he'll just send a rebuild one is that so?

• That may have been a policy in the past but I would say not now because of the parts issue. He did say however that he had contacted BMW AG to purchase some new Euro MIDs in bulk that he'd sell at small profit, and those would end up around 350-360euro. Curiously he said he's had many more really bad MIDs from US models vs Euro ones, and he's baffled as to why.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!