850 on the highway video

• saw these last night - they are cool, I have a beady eye on YouTube..... :lol:

I love your country. Spent 9 months backpacking round it in 1997, 16 000kms overland in all, and would love to retrace my journey in an 8 rather than a Land Cruiser or Greyhound. The trip from Adelaide to Darwin and back again was amazing.... Dont think the suspension would hold up to corrugation around William Creek though :lol:

• just shows how easy 200 is to achieve in our fine machines.
    One tiny question though, was the second clip a highway?? looked more like a residential area to me....

and theres just something weird about driving on the left side, just can't get used to that.
    If I ever go to Oz or UK I'll take a taxi, otherwise I believe a disaster will strike. Turning in the first crossroads I'll be back on the right side again :D

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Noggie

and theres just something weird about driving on the left side, just can't get used to that.
    If I ever go to Oz or UK I'll take a taxi, otherwise I believe a disaster will strike. Turning in the first crossroads I'll be back on the right side again :D

Noggie, it really is easy, especially in an auto. Yeah the first few miles are weird but you soon get into it mainly because everyone else is doing it, and all the roads are designed for Lefthand driving.

Being english it is the same difference for me when I drive in Euroland, which during a GumBall-esque trip to Odense, Denmark, I found surprisingly easy.

Now you have no excuse to visit the UK :lol:

• Not being able to drive in a country is not a valid reason for not going there.

I'm sure it's no problem driving on the left side, and I'm sure having a right hand drive car also helps (just make sure the driver sits towards the center of the road and you'll be fine)

I'm 100% sure I'll visit the UK in the near future, might just see Heathrow though, but hey, I'll be in the UK....

But seriously, I'm thinking of coming over, just not sure where to go yet, You got London, but there is more to the UK than London, you've got the obvious places like Stonehenge......... and Silverstone :)
    Probably just be London, drink some beer, eat fish'n chips, take a guided double decker bus ride, see Big Ben, Tower of London.... oh, you know what I mean....
    End up in a pub, drink some more beer, accidently say the wrong thing about the local football team, get beaten up badly.... haha, just kidding
    :D

Might stay a few day on my way to China i January, I guess my flight is from Heathrow.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Tony, you’ve traveled around Australia? Wow, I think that’s every Aussie’s dream. I’ve done it in a Commodore, and like you said, the 8 would make such a trip an experience of a life time but I just couldn’t do it to my 8. As you know, you’ll never get all the red dust off the car.

Noggie, the second video is getting off the highway and to wards the residential area, so a bypass between a highway and a residential area if you will.

Another good point about UK. That means that I can land in London and start driving right away. Given that authorities don’t see my video. Lol.

But driving on the wrong side isn’t really a problem if the steering wheel is on the wrong side too. You get used to it in no time. Just make sure that traffic is coming on your side not the passengers. I was in Europe in July and August and drove my cousins Jeep in Croatia and Paris with no problem. Needless to say, in Croatia they have no rules whatsoever and they don’t even ware a seatbelt, I was frightened the fist day.

• Zitat von zm850i

Tony, you’ve traveled around Australia? Wow, I think that’s every Aussie’s dream. I’ve done it in a Commodore, and like you said, the 8 would make such a trip an experience of a life time but I just couldn’t do it to my 8. As you know, you’ll never get all the red dust off the car.

I never understood this about Aussies when I was there, in that so many of you have not been around your own country ! Of course I know it's a huge place with great pieces of apparently 'nothing' inbetween towns, but that is the beauty of the place, and the silence is breathtaking. If you take the Stuart Highway as a dividing line I covered practically everything East of this. I plan to return and do the West side one day, but half a continent was as much as I could do last time :D

Put a swag in your boot and go tomorrow mate. You wont regret it 8):D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!