torque settings??? (HELP)

• Hi,

I've searched and searched and... zero,
    can't find torque settings for the 850!? :(
    manual says nothing (I have/know other
    cars and motorcycles and the owner's
    manual do have some basic torque values!).

I need to know torque for the engine oil
    drain plug - and also gear box and differential
    plugs...

... my car is stopped now... I hate to "gess" torques...

... any idea? Thanks in advance.

-Antonio Mota
    '92 850 6-speed
    176.000 km

• The engine oil-sump drain-plug has a copper washer, so just torque it by about a 1/4 turn and it should be fine. The drain plugs do not require precise torque settings, just use your judgment and not too tight to damage any housings or strip threads. About 25-35Nm should be OK for 17mm plugs and about 40-50Nm for 19mm plugs.

• Thanks for the tip Arnie.

In the meanwhile I've checked series 7 Bentley manual:

- engine oil plug is 25 nm (I've seen 33 nm in a
    technical picture of M70 engine).

- final drive (differencial) is 70 nm :shock: this seems a lot to
    me, I've tried it and my intuition said "no", so I've put
    torque to only 60 nm; something must be said about
    this: original plugs had a copper wash, but new-type
    ones (sold by BMW dealer, acording to part number
    for my car, so: no mistake) have now an integral rubber
    seal, and shape is not conic anymore; differencial casing
    is iron, so high torque settings are normal, I gess, but 70
    seemed a lot, as I said, maybe it was OK to the old type
    plugs with copper washer; tool required: "allen" 14 mm;

- gearbox (manual): Bentley only has data for the Getrag
    260/6 (BMW 735i); they talk about 50 nm, and that seemed
    OK for my 850 (alu casing, plugs with 24 mm diameter in
    the internal thread (tool required: 17 mm hex)).

Well... we shall see next time I change fluids if it's too
    tigh :( or if fluid went away! :?

Next job: brakes, coolant...

Regards.

-Antonio Mota
    '92 6-speed 850

• Hello, Antionio,

I think your torque setting seem about right. In anycase the actual torque acheived on the plugs depends on many things, like for example if there is oil on the threads. It is not an exact science.

Usually the differential plugs have a conical thread and I found that if you wrap PTFE tape (plumber's thread-sealing tape) around the threads, then it helps to seal with much less torque and it makes the plugs easier to remove the next time.

I bought a new eninge sump plug about 6-months ago from a dealer and it was the same as the one before, requiring a copper washer. This one you were given must be a new thing. As far as I know the oil-sump plugs have long, parallel threads and so require the washer to seal. but, as an alternative to copper washers, you can use a "Dowty-Washer" which has an integral O-ring seal and these washers will not leak, even finger tight!

• >torque acheived on the plugs depends on many things
    >like for example if there is oil on the threads.

Hmmm... I thought about that too. When oiled, it
    seems that screws and plugs tend to "slip". I think
    I've seen in some manual "threads not oiled" for
    the torque. But we know that it's good to have some
    lubrification in threads to avoid oxidation in the future...
    Now I'm using copper lub (high temperature, used
    in the spark plugs: avoid oxidation and doesn't "slip"
    too much like normal oil).

>differential plugs have a conical thread
    >PTFE tape (plumber's thread-sealing tape) around the threads,
    > then it helps to seal with much less torque and it makes the plugs
    >easier to remove the next time.

Great tip, thanks!

>new eninge sump
    >was the same as the one before, requiring a copper washer

Engine sump's plug is the same, and gearboxe also
    equal (I bought new plugs for engine, gearboxe, and
    differential), the ones different were for the differential.
    Old ones were conical in the end. New ones are straitght
    but have an integral rubber o-ring, thus not requiring
    the copper washer (so I was told).

>"Dowty-Washer" which has an integral O-ring seal
    >and these washers will not leak, even finger tight![/quote]

It's a metalic washer with rubber ring in the inner edge?
    I bought a set of those some time ago, I'll try them!

Thanks! Regards.

-Antonio Mota

• Sorry !

I was referring to drain-plugs, not spark-plugs. The copper-lube is definately a good idea for the spark-plugs and torque setting will be different whether dry or "oily".

The PTFE tape is good for the drain-plugs, particularly the conical threads on the rear-diff, but don't use it for the spark-plugs!

Yes, the Dowty washer is as you described.

• Hi every one.

You have to excuse me but how will an oily plug have a different torque than a dry one, i thought that the torque would be the same but that the part to be tightened may not have achieved the correct angle, hence the term torque and angle when fastening with electronic nut runners?

Allen

• Simply because torque required to tighten a nut or plug includes both the force to elastically stretch (tension) the metal fastener as well as to overcome an amount of friction on the screw threads, washers, contact surfaces etc.

Therefore, if the surfaces are oily, the friction is reduced and so the same applied torque will overstretch the metal. So, with oily threads the torque setting should be reduced to achieve the same tension on the metal.

That is why torque wrenching is not an exact science as many people think. There are too many variables.

In many cases, tightening by angle is more precise.

• Bolt torquing regarding automotive applications actually has only 1 realistic variable. That is the aforementioned lubrication coefficient of friction. If you allow that the difference between "dry" or "lubricated", is also predicated on the "type of lubrication" can be as great as 90% then
    you will realise that simple commonsense, ie "feel" is as valid as anything else particularly with items such as drain plugs.

On items like cylinder heads, pump bodies etc. the equal application of an evenly applied torque in a gradual and systematic procedure over the bolted flange is actually more important than the actual torque value used.

I'm not sure where "tightening by angle" comes into this, but I'm sure willing to learn.

• Tightening by angle , as the name suggests means hand-tightenting the bolt or plug to the point of contact and then further torquing by rotation through a specified angle.

This works for items such as drain-plugs or spark-plugs, and I've even seen some cylinder-head torquing instructions written in this manner.

The method may not be so goog where you cannot easily determine that the initial hand-tightening has achieved metal-metal contact

The method works because you are moving the thread through a specified angle and therefore achieving a specific strain on the plug or fastener. The amount of rotation is not dependant on friction or lubrication and so the actual torque required to rotate through a given angle is immaterial.

However, I agree that with experience, one can judge the point when a fastener is correctly tightened. I've never used a torque wrench on a car, except for doing cylinder heads but, even then, gradual, progressive tightening and feel are very important.

• Aye, can see where your'e coming from there, but, can't recall it being called by "angle". Surely that would be dependent on the length of the lever being used?

30 degrees of arc on a 1' tommy bar would apply a lot more torque than 30 degrees with a 6" bar.

I seem to remember that a lot of tightening procedures referred to "tighten to hand tight, then apply a further 1/4 turn.

Immediately dumps 4 foot scaffold tube "cheater bar".

Sorry,
    I'll go get my anorak. :oops:

• >with experience, one can judge the point when a fastener is correctly
    >tightened. I've never used a torque wrench on a car, except for doing
    >cylinder heads but

I agree with that. I gess I'm a little paranoid with torque values
    because now and then I'm seeing fasteners and screws too tight :(
    but that can be because of corrosion... we use the right amount
    of torque, but some months/years later the threads get corroded.
    Period.

On the other hand, I've loosed a screw in the mudguard of my
    motorcycle once... :? anyway, sometimes is impossible to use
    the torque wrench, like for example the fill plug of the manual
    garbox (the drain plug has good clearance for wrench, but not
    the fill plug).

So, I'm also developing my feel for tighning things. I have a
    small ultralight motorglider, and I've done some heavy works
    there (wings, engine, etc.) and didn't use a torque wrench because
    I don't have torque values for the aircraft... I'm using my common
    scense and good judgment... it worked, so far, no problems :o

Anyway, when I have info on torque values and when the torque
    wrench has clearance, I like to use the "exact" way, so to speak.

One thing I see when using my torque wrench is that
    even when the "click" for correct torque is achieved,
    one can continue to tight until another "click", maybe
    30 degrees later or so - it must have something to do
    with lubrification of the threads, or the way the wrench
    works (is it sensible to speed of rotation?).

Another thing to considerar is also lack of precision of
    torque wrench (mine is a good brand, but we never know,
    I gess), so when I see in a manual (for example) "50 nm
    for '91 model and before" and "52 nm for "post '92"....
    ... well... I must laugh, big difference... this is not exact
    science, nor the wrench is exact enough!

Regards!

-AM

• Even if you buy a top of the range certified manual torque wrench you will not get below + / - 3 % of it's posted capability.

Should you be using a torque wrench more than 1 year old then it's possible that the variation may be higher if it hasn't been re-calibrated.

As others have posted, the more you do it, the more knack you get in knowing just how much to apply. ( it's a guy thing!)

• Zitat von Hemibum

..........30 degrees of arc on a 1' tommy bar would apply a lot more torque than 30 degrees with a 6" bar..... :oops:

The anlge is measured as a rotation of the actual plug or fastener (any deflection of the tommy-bar etc is irrelevant).

It is true that a longer lever will apply more Torque for a given Force (Torque = Force x Distance) and conversely, a shorter lever will require more Force for the same Torque.

But, when tightening by angle, the amount of Force, length of lever (tommy-bar) or actual required Torque (oily or dry) is irelevant. You just apply whatever is necessary to rotate the plug or fastener through the given angle. This will tighten the fastener according to the pitch of its thread.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!