All four brakes sticking on

• Got a problem with the brakes on my '91 850i.

Brakes were normal when I started off this morning but as the day drew on (100 miles plus) they started to bind on untill, on the motorway at around 70mph (Officer) they started making a loud drumming noise and the car shook violently when the brake pedal was pressed.
    I pulled over for a few minutes and all was well although they now stick on all the time. No need for a handbrake now!!!!
    The discs have all blued so its all four calipers on at once and the pedal is rock solid with no free play as they normally have although the brakes work ok at normal speeds.
    Does this sound like master cylinder? Possibly the Bomb?
    Or could it be a simple brake fluid flush or pentosin?

What would make all four brakes work uncommanded at the same time?????

Anyone had this before???

• It may be the booster.

The master cylinder would only do two at a time because of the separate circuits.

The bomb fails to too little pressure.

The pump fails to no pressure.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Check that the pedal is returning properly first. If the brake pedal return spring broke there could be enough weight to keep the pads touching.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Sometimes you just land on your feet.

Or I just did!

Needed to sort out this brake sticking issue and so ask BMW Stealer what the cost of a master cyl would be..... £412+17.5% tax!!
    So I used a part finder website for a m/c as Ive got a spare regulator,bomb,booster etc and found one used for a very reasonable £70 delivered. It showed up today with the brake booster still attatched!!!!
    Did the O ring fix on my old one, my spare and the one delivered with the m/c, not difficult and cost a grand total of £1 for all three.

Took everything out of the car yesterday and have got booster and m/c back in the car but still need to plumb in the bomb/regulator etc but not a difficult job at all.

Also got 2 liters of Pentosin 7.1 from the Stealer for £8 per can which was the cheapest quote for it that I got!!!
    BMW? Cheapest? Cant be right!!!!! :lol:

• Hi Rob,

Is this problem sorted as I had the exact same problem for over a year. It was so bad and nobody could diagnose I SORNED the car for many months. I bit the bullet last week, put it in the hands of the dealer and provided him with all the homework I had gathered on the problem to try to minimise investigation and abortive work. It turned out to be a completely seized master cylinder. It cost me £800 plus a further wasted £800 on 4 uneccessary calipers when the problem first arose. I was actually quite pleased in the end because I had budgeted for a £2K+ resolution.

Only problem I now have is since getting the car back the amplifier has ceased to work (coincidence?). Looks like they will get my 2K in the end!!!!

• Zitat von moirmd;78581

When your master cylinder went did your brake pedal go rock hard?

I think we have got two threads running in parallel here. Didn't you start this under a different thread:hmmmm:

The answer is that I never let it get that bad. It will be solid to press if the brakes are stuck full on.

• master cylinder

I had the same problem on my 1990 850, all 4 brakes sticked, hard shaking of the car while braking.
    It turned out to be the master cylinder, after changing disks !
    frederic

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!