Car PC TT01 Work blog

• Easy part done, in that I've prepared the console unit for the 8" screen. So starting from the top.....

Get the console on the mill

remove excess plastic ribs from rear, keeping in line from the HVAC & Radio DIN slots.... the fascia kinks upwards between Radio and OBC slot, but fortunately the ribs behind extend backwards in line with the vertical sides of the top DIN slot.

then carefully remove the excess behind the HVAC & Radio seperater, had to brace the thin section whilst moving along it's length, otherwise it would snap off for sure when the cutter met it. ( I did clean up the cuts afterwards )

then off the machine, holding the screen behind the new Double DIN slot in the area I want it to go.

I didn't have the nerve to End Mill any closer to the sidewall, so will file off the remaining excess by hand. So on these photos it is still evident where the top and middle DIN seperator is. You can see the Bevel that surrounds the screen sits perfectly along the perimeter of the new large slot. Because it follows the lines of the HVAC slot half the screen gets progressively more recessed. The gap needs filling, but that will be simple enough. The hard part now is figuring a way to secure the screen to the rear of the console. I think I'll be able to use the mounting cradle that came with the screen, with a bit of modification :D

The screen case is also slightly too big and the bottom will have to be removed also since it protrudes into the bottom DIN slot. Gonna have to void my warranty by taking the case off to get it on the mill !

• Re: Car PC TT01 Work Log

Zitat von BMPuter

wow! you certainly have the pro kit :)

well, it was once upon at time :D it all still works though, and is easy for manual stuff.

The console material is excellent for filing/sanding btw, and the Double DIN perimeter now looks lovely and smooth !

The Screen is going on said machine now, to lob the bottom off it. Had a look inside, and there's nothing in the way (once I'd prised a few wires inwards).

If nothing else today I'll hopefully get the screen ready for securing to the console.

• Zitat von TallTony

that's better :D

looking lovely there mate! what have you got planned for the gap at the top to get it 100% straight? I used some plastic cut outs (cd case was enough for me) and did epoxy, followed by some filler and sanding.

re mounting. Now that you've chopped the bottom off, I presume the meta bit has also gone. Perhaps epoxy resin can be your friend here again? I guess you can get away with sticking the front of the case to the fascia, as long as the back of the case can still come off (for servicing).

I'm going to start researching the HVAC part very soon. I'm fully loaded at work in the coming week and then I'm off on hols for 10 days, so I'll be relatively low key... though I say that with the greatest intentions!

• cheers ! It's a start at least. Re the gap at the top, there is a piece of leftover plastic from the console itself that fits perfectly in there (I love it when this sort of thing happens in projects - perfect colour match too). Just needs cutting and bonding into place, then sanding smooth again.

I also figured that the best way to secure the screen was to bond the front part of the casing to the console. Two screws still secure the back part, as well as the perimeter clips.

Should finish this part today ! Next up the iDrive clone (despite not actually knowing exactly how to work the haptic.....!)

Hope you are confident that we can get full functionality of the HVAC from the PC ? No pressure...... I can't really imagine reaching for the glovebox to adjust temp etc :shock::lol:

As for timescales/workloads etc..... you still have about 2000 novelty miles to drive in your CSi yet, so I wasn't expecting much to happen till next month anyway :lol:

• Great job Tony. I can see this looking very professional and factory once it's done.

I've been thinking about my setup, and I may actually prefer to leave the OBC up top and use the two lower slots. Particularly since there's a change in angle between the top two slots whereas the lower two slots sit on a flat plane. Have you got any thoughts on this? I realise the lower slots will probably suffer more in terms of glare from the sun.

• Cheers for comments Paul,

Zitat von Paul_M

I've been thinking about my setup, and I may actually prefer to leave the OBC up top and use the two lower slots. Particularly since there's a change in angle between the top two slots whereas the lower two slots sit on a flat plane. Have you got any thoughts on this? I realise the lower slots will probably suffer more in terms of glare from the sun.

I thought long and hard about whether to use the HVAC and Radio DIN slots, but figured that the screen would be obscured by the gear lever. Not good for general use. But, as I'll explain it turned out not to be a problem because of the way the console is constructed behind the slots.....

Although the posted picture doesn't show it, behind the OBC slot there are two ribs that protrude inwards, these are perfectly inline with the sidewall of the DIN slot, so if you machine it correctly the screen fits snugly upto them. Then there is only a gap at the very top which needs filling. Like I mentioned there is a left over piece of console (which I had to machine off also) which I have fashioned into plate to fill the gap. I have to say I was amazed how simple it was to do this and how well I have made it fit. Like you said, it will definitely look 'factory' when completed.

So, although the console does kink between the radio and OBC slot, it actually now looks as though it was meant to do this to give further shading of the TFT screen from sunlight. I'll post more detailed pics of this next week when I'm back at work (ahem, my play-pen!).

My only problem to date has been bonding the screen casing to the console. I bought (quote) Araldite Extra Strength Super Glue - Strongest Ever Super Glue (quote) and tried it, but I still managed to prise the two pieces apart without too much force (24Hrs later) so I need to get my thinking cap back on for this bit. Maybe a more mechanical solution is required.

Do you know of any good Bonding Glues for plastics I could try ?

Anyway, can't wait for next week so I can continue on this project :lol:

• I agree with the lever obstructions, especially when in 3rd or 5th (if you're in first, then it's silly to use the carpc :)).

RE bonding. How about building a frame out of aluminium and stabilising it, in a similar fashion to how I did the E39? I have only seen the pics from Lion as I've yet to take the thing apart. But maybe we can find some mounting points on which to stabalise a frame on, the screen on the frame, and the bezel just lying on top, so that there's 0 pressure on the bezel when using the screen.

I've just ordered my Bezel from the stealer for the good price of 27+vat, only to be shocked when I found out the ashtray is 65 squid! Need to cook something up for the space navigator/rotary device.

can't wait to see your progress Tony!

• Don't worry about the ashtray, it isn't needed. Fortunately (again) it is secured underneath by 4 screws and so a replacement part block can be made to fit exactly in it's place, using the existing mountings. This is next on my list after securing the screen.

Assuming we opt for the same input device I'll happily make duplicates on my machine if required (this offer extends to modifying the Console moulding as well if you like my end results).

As you know I really want the haptic thing to work (plus it should arrive on my desk from USA this coming week) so will fashion a part from a solid block of plastic to house that first. With that Deckel Machine I have it will be fairly straightforward. Then it's just a case of making the iDrive knob fit on top of the stalk.

However if it has to be the Space Navigator then I can make the new housing fit that instead. It just seems like a 'second best' option that's all !

Back to securing that screen.... I have few more ideas, and will post the success/failures in due course :lol: It's only a small hiccup.....

• The screen is nearly in :shock:

I am using the mounting case that came with the screen to create an 'isometric Tunnel' housing for the screen itself, pushed up flush with the rear of the newly modified centre console. Pic to follow when completed (just waiting for some parts to aid the fabrication). Previous attempts to bond the screen to the console have failed, so a more mechanical solution is required.

In the meantime I have made a simple artist impression of how I intend to utilise the Ashtray compartment in my e31 840. I will remove the whole ashtray, machine a new block and incorperate the Immersion TouchSense PR1000 controller in there, along with cig lighter and logo, finished off with an oem iDrive knob (from breakers - £5.00 !!!)

I have contacted Immersion.com for their Windows XP software 'Immersion Studio for Automotive', and am awaiting their response..... hopefully it wont be "get lost" :shock:

I have stated that it is for private use, with no commercial gain to come from the project. Let's see what they say.... :D

• OK, here it is minus the screen internal gubbins :D Sorry about small pics. Will sort that out next week....

new screen case still needs modding slightly so it doesnt encroach into new OBC DIN Slot. Otherwise it is a strong and purposeful install :)
    Cost me £25.00 to have the metal case made by neighbour here at work. Wasn't expecting it back till next week - only took him an hour :shock:

• bought and paid for :shock:

http://www.immersion.com/automotive/products/studio.php

Software coming from the States, via Germany. Hard work convincing them to sell it to me as it's intended for corperate developmental use - with suitably HUGE price tag and license agreements.

Still, managed to get it for the price of a tank of fuel 8)

Will have to see how the registration goes as to whether I can share it - I'm sure there's a way round it :wink:

• I'm very close to accidentally buying a haptic :)

I may also require your milling services if that's ok? I'm looking at ways to do this, and so far I think the best way is the way you've done it.

it would be good to integrate some CD/DVD slot in there somewhere, but I'm not getting any decent ideas. i'm going to meditate some more over it tonight.

• Zitat von Sama

I'm very close to accidentally buying a haptic :)

I may also require your milling services if that's ok? I'm looking at ways to do this, and so far I think the best way is the way you've done it.

it would be good to integrate some CD/DVD slot in there somewhere, but I'm not getting any decent ideas. i'm going to meditate some more over it tonight.

It only takes one click on mp3.com to accidentally order this thing !

I'm sure I can replicate the ashtray replacement console for you mate :D Glad you like the design. Still deciding on whether to have coin slots on it (next to cig lighter) to break it up a bit, or whether to incorperate a button there, such as a Menu/Back button. What are your thoughts on that ?

The PC I bought came with an external DVDrw drive which I think will fit neatly between the seats in the plastic cubbyhole type thing (just in front of the rear armrest). I might put it in the glovebox though seeing as I shouldnt need to use it often - I'll have a 120GB HD !!

• Zitat von TallTony

It only takes one click on mp3.com to accidentally order this thing !

:) I think I will, I'm liking the idea of it very much.

Zitat von TallTony

I'm sure I can replicate the ashtray replacement console for you mate :D Glad you like the design.

cheers mate. I actually meant the console itself. I do like the ashtray design very much, and would like that too :) but the most immediate thing to address is the screen. I'm not entirely sure how I'll mount mine, as I don't have all the pieces that you do. I've already cut my screen case and therefore will have to cook up some other way of mounting it.

Zitat von TallTony

Still deciding on whether to have coin slots on it (next to cig lighter) to break it up a bit, or whether to incorperate a button there, such as a Menu/Back button. What are your thoughts on that ?

Does the haptic have push/pull? I'm inclined to think it has push, but probably not pull.

If it has both, then I would say having any buttons would not be useful, since you can navigate easily. If you imagine the navigation model as a tree structure, then pushing can take you down the nodes, and pulling back up would go to previous the screen/option. It would be nice to have just one handed operation, without having to move the hand away from the wheel.

If there's only push, then a button would be useful, as that can be the back/cancel button. this would be based on the last action. so if you're in a keyboard mode, then it would delete the last letter, and if you just selected a screen, it would take you back to the previous screen.

I'm thinking out aloud here... It may get annoying, if after going down 4 menu levels, and typing a street address that's 8 characters long, to press undo 12 times. So perhaps having 4 action-buttons is the best. by action-button I mean push/pull are also counted as actions. So you could have two buttons to switch screens (gps/media/obd/etc), and the other two buttons for select undo.

I think it's probably worth attacking the s/w to see what can be done and to play it by ear from there.

Zitat von TallTony

The PC I bought came with an external DVDrw drive which I think will fit neatly between the seats in the plastic cubbyhole type thing (just in front of the rear armrest). I might put it in the glovebox though seeing as I shouldnt need to use it often - I'll have a 120GB HD !!

nice! A cd will always be useful. I didn't have one in the E39 and I regretted it. People would always give me a CD and I always wanted to have the ability to rip it there and then and give it back to them :) I have an external DVDRW but it's a power hungry mother. I'll be getting some serious power modules this time. Last time I had 2xM2-ATX's and it still wasn't enough! ('cos I was not using them efficiently, but still)

I saw that you wanted to had a video club, have a look at this thing:

http://store.mp3car.com/MP3CAR…PLUG_AND_RC_p/dsh-017.htm

shame it has the yanky plug.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!