Any of the V12 supercharger projects complete?

• A while back I spoke with the user 'John in DC' who was making a supercharger kit for the V12.
    After visiting the UK part of this forum I noticed there are more people working on supercharged V12's.

Any updates on those projects?
    I would really like to get one on my car, but I don't have the time or 'know how' to experiment on this myself.

Does anyone out there have a functioning setup for the 5.0l V12, or one near completion?
    Looking for 500hp give or take.
    A kit giving 400hp is not that interresting as there is 6,1l conversion kits out there that gives you 425hp.

If someone have. I'd like to buy a kit, or the documentation/partlist I need to make the kit myself.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Re: Any of the V12 supercharger projects complete?

Zitat von Noggie

A while back I spoke with the user 'John in DC' who was making a supercharger kit for the V12.
    After visiting the UK part of this forum I noticed there are more people working on supercharged V12's.

Any updates on those projects?

A few questions...

1. Is your car right hand drive or left hand drive?
    2. What year and model/engine do you have?
    3. Is the engine stock or modified (ie bored, stroked, head work, etc)?
    4. Auto or stick?
    5. ASC yes/no?

Depending on the above, I may have something for you. First production run has been committed but I intend to do a second run once the plenums are ready.

Feel free to respond here or privately. Rgds...

• Hi John, thanx for the quick feedack.

My car is a 1990 left hand drive M70 5.0l Automatic with ASC

The only thing done to the cars engine as of today is that Hartge has replaced the camshafts to a set that I don't know the spec on, I have asked Hartge but they did'nt know either.
    The engine ECU and gearbox is also reprogrammed, and the 250kph limiter is removed, and a 3.45 non-lsd rear diff was installed.
    This was done in 1991 when the car had done 18.000km
    Hartge claimes 354hp and top speed of 279kph/174mph
    Dyno confirmes this as I had 274hp SAE and 285ft-lbs on my rear wheels last June.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie

My car is a 1990 left hand drive M70 5.0l Automatic with ASC

Hartge has replaced the camshafts to a set that I don't know the spec on, I have asked Hartge but they did'nt know either.

The engine ECU and gearbox is also reprogrammed, and the 250kph limiter is removed

More questions/comments...

1. The supercharger kit that I have developed will work with left hand drive 850's with stock M70 with either auto/manual trans or ASC/non-ASC configuration.

2. A change in camshaft translates to a change in Volumetric Efficiency (Ve) - - which would explain a change of the DME (ECU) chips. Do you the dyno sheet from last June? This would help me to ascertain where the Ve changes occurred to ensure the DME/ECU chip programming with my kit would accommodate the Hartge camshaft. If you have a baseline dyno run (ie pre-Hartge camshafts), that would help as well. Please post here or send privately.

3. Do you know what method was employed to remove the speed limiter? Reprogram of EML chip or piggyback controller?

• Here is the dyno run.
    I dont have a run with stock camshafts, they where installed in 1991, I bought the car in 2006.

One of the users in here Faisal in Laurel believed my camshafts had the following spec:
    Duration 245 int / 255 exh (Roller)
    Valve lift 11.4mm
    Lobe centers 110 degrees

Limiter I believe Hartge removed electronicly when the reprogrammed it for the camshafts.

this is the dyno before I changed all the ignition parts, it also shows A/F reading.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Good stuff, Noggie -

I possess an Excel-based tool that can work backwards from HP to Ve. I just need to extract some data points from your dyno run to plug into the spreadsheet and given that I'm traveling out of the country next week, it may take some time to accomplish.

Give me a few days to have a look. My first impression, though, is that the base Supercharger Kit DME/ECU's can be modified to accommodate your camshafts without much worry.

Rgds...

• Time is not an issue, when I know I've got something coming I can relax. Take all the time you need.
    The car is in winter storage at the moment, and will stay there until mid April.
    Up till then I have plenty of work to do on the car anyway.
    I'm changing out all bushings, rods and ball joints in the front and rear suspension/steering, and I'm installing Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs and camber plates as well.
    The supercharger is not something I need until June at the earliest.

Oh, there is one thing I forgot to mention, my ECU is most lightly programmed/optimized for 98ROZ fuel, and thats what I put in the car, don't know if that makes a difference but I thought I'd mention it.

I work in the oil business, so I'm working somewhere in the world every other month.(never quite know where until I'm at the airport)
    Sitting on a rig in the Persian gulf right now, not far from Iran.....
    I go home in 5 days and then its the suspension work to be done during my time off.
    I will need to drive the car and do all the wheel alignments and such in April/May when I bring the car out for summer.
    So mid June is the earliest I can start doing any Engine upgrades.

Would you mind sending me a rough estimate on the price if you have it, Money is not an object, just want to know roughly how much we are talking about.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Hello Noggie, guys,

At this moment we are building a superchargerset on my car(M70, 1991).

We are limited it on 450 Hp because of the transmission, but 500 or more is no problem.

When we finish it(prob. over about two weeks) I can tell you, if you wish, what the results are.

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• I have told John that I'm getting one of his kits with intercooler.
    The benchmark is 500hp on that kit, so we will see what it will give with my camshafts.
    Conversion might happen sometime during summer.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Hrumm

I was thinking of buying a ferrari. I might just do this instead. Massively easier than turbocharging wrt exhaust manifolds. Presume its going where the J-spec alternator goes.

1/ SC module
    2/ ECU remap (I have wokke chips right now)
    3/ Intercooler and ducting
    4/ Injectors?

Need new mafs or T/B?

TREZ INTERESSANT!!! Better get a leakdown test done.

Lets burn rubber!

91 BMW 850 (Heavily Modified)
    86 Ford F150 monster truck (44 inch tyres)

• Within two weeks we hope we have the finall specs and we can show what we have done, what the cost will be, a.s.o.

At this moment we have the components, we have relayed the oilfilter and hydro, also we have split the waterreservoir and removed the airducts(there will be all the compnents exept the chargers itselfs ofcourse.

We hope to reduce the costs to a 4000 Euro, 4-5 days work, and the best thing: it will look nice and you hardly will see that there is a major change.
    Also we will have motoroilcooler, better gaerboxcooler, intercooler, a.so., than teh motor will be better cooled than out of the factory.
    The whole set, ready to install will be on the market by my tuner, so you can buy it and doesn't have to bother about what you should do with all of it.
    I'm only the testpilot and I put my knowledge of the 8 into the project(and my time and money)

For the real specs you must wait a few weeks, but I'll publish it.

Dick

• Good to hear Dick.

I'll have to get a leakdown test done and speak to my insurers.

I found your post on the NL boards, but must confess I couldnt undesrstand it. If you have a list of emails of people interested in the conversion please add my address to it

nath an@nat hanb o wer. com

Meanwhile I'll get fixing a few other pesky items!

Nath

Lets burn rubber!

• Hello Nath,

I'll do.

Good luck with the other items(there are always some) :D

Dick

• Dick quick question - did you change the injectors or just remap the ECU's?

On the phone to the insurer now.

The words "substantial" and "increase" were used.

HRMMMMM Might have to get the ferrari after all. £4K on insurance is no joke.

Lets burn rubber!

• Hello Nathan & Alex,

Can give you a picture of the test if it fitted:

You can see it does(It will go down for 4-5 cms at the end), the oil/hydro is on the new place.

At the other side we have split the reservoir(not a problem, you saw it with an ironsaw), so there is also enough room.

You can see your self what you will have for BHp, the charger will give you appr. 600, but than you must change more than only the cooling and program the chips(perhaps change the injectors into M-injectors, that point we aren't sure yet).
    The chips will come with the package, when necessary also the injectors.

For 400-450(we will test also at 500) BHp there is not the need to change more(because I have a automatic gearbox we will reduce it to appr. 450 at the end).
    By us it's not a problem with 40+% increase, before the insurance a.s.o. will be a problem(and who will measure it?).

Dick

• If you are referring to the CSi injectors as "M injectors" then they are the same as your stock ones!
    It will be most interesting to see that belt drive arrangement with two, twin screw superchargers there.

8Tech.

• I can't give you a answer yet, my tuner will know, but that's what he told me.
    First we see if the stock ones will give enough or not.
    He thinks bij 450 it shouldn't be a problem.
    Also we must remove 1/3 of the kat's to have some more airoutput.
    Next week we will have change all the components and than we can make the brackets for the chargers.
    The belt isn't the problem I'm told.
    Cheers.

Dick

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!