Front strut brace

• Zitat von TallTony

Ouch :shock:

And here's me thinking my posts were qualitative as well as just quantitative. ... :lol:

:wink: Tony I alway enjoy your informative posts I was really quoting you from an earlier thread :wink:
    Dame I have done another post what a post whore! :lol::lol::lol:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Zitat von stevep840

Looks good quality Dude, your talents seem to be wasted in the classroom :?:wink:

Steve I was a tool maker once! 5 year apprenticeship and all that! :D

Which is why I like to keep my hand in. If I that I could make a living well thats another career all together :wink:

Lloyd

• Lloyd,

I have looked at your design and congratulate you on a beautifully made piece. It is nice to look at and your machine work on the turret mounts is excellent. I am really glad you have made no improper claims for the brace functionality as this would have degraded the project.

I would thoroughly endorse this brace for anyone who wants that look and I think you should make them available in black and polished to help pay for your own.

As long as they are not described as functional, you have my support.

If you made it for any other BMW model, without the pivot on one end, it would be fully functional too.

Well done.

8Tech.

• 8Tech thanks for the positive comments :D . The pivot end was really about making it adjustable as it was really a trial piece. Now that I have the sizes etc and a working (not functional) model I could look at a solid piece / bolted at both ends. This was really made as something just to fill some spare time, however the creation of more is quite possible if the need was there although I would probably look to out source as much as possible because I just don't have the time.
    In regards to the pivot end I had seen some with this type of adjustable

http://www.zfever.com/catalog/…_300zx_rear-strut-bar.jpg

which is why for the first off I went with this, are they not functional also?

Anyway it made me smile making it and I have already had a couple of enquires so who know. The next question is what next, is there something else Ishould look into making?

Lloyd

• Lloyd,

The reason it fails functionality on the E31 is because the chassis is very stiff in this plane.

The reason a pivot point fails functionality is because the stress across the bar is a compression load so the stress compresses and bends the strut bar. With a pivot point, such as a rod end or nut and bolt, the only thing holding this is the friction on a nut and bolt. This is WAY too little and a rigid mount is required each end.

Therefore, the example you have shown is structrually/functionally useless.

As the load goes through one suspension turret, it tries to push that turret straight up, NOT towards the other turret, so it tries to rotate the turret in an arc around the other side. A rigid mount resists this by attempting to bend the strut, a pivot offers no resistance to this and is therefore non functional.

Good -

http://www.vollgasmotorwerks.c…_Cooper_R53_Strut_Bar.jpg

Better -

http://www.cecwheels.com/image…cs_e60_strut-brace_lr.gif

Best possible outside the fitting of a full cage -

http://images.google.co.uk/img…Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Please contact me offline for a suggestion for something else to make.

Regards, 8Tech.

• 8Tech I have sent you a pm.

As for now I may look at remaking the strut bar as a solid bolt down on both ends piece, but we will see 8)

As for the requests for CAD dwgs etc until i decided 8) he future of this project I will hold fire on releasing them :)

Lloyd

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!