850 CSi gearbox

• I have just recently acquired a 850csi
    but the gearbox has a strange runbling to it
    The previous owner had a new clutch fitted by a "Mickey Mouse"
    clutch dealer which I am wondering if could not perhaps be the problem
    The box makes a rumbling sort of sound when hot and while out of gear
    The moment I put my foot on the clutch the noise goes away
    Also when I change gears there seems to be a bit of a thump underneath somewhere
    Could anyone tell me what and where to look
    Also is there anywhere I can get the box re-done in the UK
    or should I take it over to Germany
    A bit of hope would be great right now
    Thanks
    Bm840ci

• Re: 850 CSi gearbox

Zitat von bm840ci

The box makes a rumbling sort of sound when hot and while out of gear

It sounds like the clutch release bearing to me, that is the first thing I would look at.

Good luck

Alan

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Zitat

if its more of a rattle - from previous experience (vw backgrounds) sounds more like the spigot bearing has not been replaced or not aligned correctly, no major damage will occur just an annoying noise - as mentioned earlier, micky mouse fitters.

• We get asked this question on a regular basis and 9 times out of 10 there's nothing wrong at all.
    It usually goes something alone these lines;
    Customer (not happy); "Hello, I've recently bought a gearbox from you/had a gearbox rebuilt/repaired/uprated by you guys and it's now got this horrible rattling noise that wasn't there before you touched it"
    Us; "Does it go away when you press the clutch?"
    Customer (a little suprised); "Yes, it does, so there must be something wrong with this gearbox"
    Us; "So there's no noise at all in any of the gears when the car is driving?"
    Customer; "No, there's no noise all at when it's driving, you can only hear it when it's stopped and idling"
    Us; "While the gearbox was out of the car did you replace the clutch"
    Customer; "Yeah, that's how I know it's the gearbox that's making the noise, I thought while it's out I may as well put a new clutch in, so it must be the gearbox because the clutch is brand new"
    Us; "The clutch you put in, did you go for something like an AP `fast road` or `competition` or a similar make of uprated unit?"
    Customer (now thinking that maybe we do know what we're talking about); "Er, yeah I did...."
    Us: "Then you'll be pleased to know there's nothing wrong with your gearbox or your clutch, but, probably not pleased to know that there's nothing you can do about that noise, not without putting your old clutch back in because what your hearing is gear chatter."
    When you fit a heavy duty clutch, and even more so with a solid paddle clutch, that rattling sound you hear is gear chatter, you can hear it now because you no longer have the soft springs that are fitted into the OEM clutch friction plate, the reason they're used is to damp the engine pulses out.
    When the gearbox is under load (driving) the gear teeth are running reasonable tight up against each other so nothing can rattle about, but when it's just sitting idling you'll hear it because the gears need backlash to allow the oil to cushion and lubricate them and those engine pulses are now making the gears rattle against each other.
    While it won't be relevant here, the other thing that makes gear noise 10 times worse is when people fit nylon type suspension bushes as this does pretty much the same thing.
    The soft rubber bushes fitted by the manufactorers are there to damp out noise, no other reason, replace them with hard bushes and say hello to all the noise that Mr Ford/VW/BMW etc didn't want you to hear (TVRs have got to be the worse for this because of the amount of racket they make in the first place!).
    In answer to a previous sudgestion about checking the spigot bearing, it's unlikely be this unless the car has become difficult to select 1st or reverse from a standstill and doesn't like to change gear at high RPM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!