Goodyear F1 265 40 17 no longer available

• I have had Goodyear Eagle F1's on all four wheels and have been happy with them; indeed, reading through this forum, most people seem to recommend these. I now find that they are no longer available in the UK in the above size (though I am told they are still made for the US, but they have a slightly different spec).

So, what to do? Has anyone still found these tyres in the UK recently? If so, where?

I really like the look of the F1's. Is there a slightly different size F1 available that will fit the same rim?

If not, what alternative to get? Opinions seem to be mixed on Toyo Proxes vs. Michelin Pilot 2's. I would lean towards to Toyo's for the looks...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• The tyre discussion came up a couple of weeks ago prompted by my own search for replacements. I had Bridgestone Potenzas last year, they were worn out and I was looking for options. I settled on the Potenzas again for this year but I was seriously considering the Vredesteins Ultrac Sessanta - very good tyre by all the test reports. I also found out that over here in Switzerland and also in Germany there's quite a lot of people running Falken 452's and they seem very happy.

Cheers,
    Jason

• The Vredensteins look good (literally). What made you go for the Bridgestones in the end?

However they don't seem to make them in 265 40 17; can I fit the 275 40 17 's that they do make (I know nothing about tyre maths).

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Hi, I went for the Bridgestones as the garage I use had already ordered them in for me before I started umming and aahing about which tyres to buy. So, to be fair I went ahead with them.
    Re your question regarding fitting of 275 - the answer is that it will depend upon what width rims you have. If you're not sure, any decent tyre shop should be able to give you good advice.

The Vredesteins not only look good, according to quite a few test reviews they are good :)

Cheers,
    Jason

• Zitat von argonaut

Re your question regarding fitting of 275 - the answer is that it will depend upon what width rims you have. If you're not sure, any decent tyre shop should be able to give you good advice.

275 will fit on a 9" width rim -- this is the sensible limit for that width of wheel. Seeing that the original tyre size is 265, it's safe to assume staggered rims so either 9" or 9.5" wide wheels.

Of course it's always good to double check, but in this case it will work.

• Many thanks for the tips; I may have this wrong, but the '40' is the height of the tyre wall as a percentage of the width -I think. Is that right?

So, by replacing 265/40/17 with 275/40/17...

-will my speedometer/mileometer be more 'out' than usual?

-will the car look less sporty because the tyre is less 'low'?

Sorry for these silly questions....and thanks again.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Yes, that is correct. However the difference is minimal: 40% of 10mm so you're only increasing the profile by 4mm. Bear in mind that a new tyre has roughly 8mm of tread so the profile changes more than 4mm through tyre wear!

The speedo will read very slightly slower than normal, but as it over-reads as standard it's probably more accurate after the change.

• Many thanks for the info. I think the Vredesteins have it then... Being a Dutchman myself, I might gradually turn this German car orange after all!

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Damn... The Vredesteins are out of stock at mytyres.co.uk and camskill.co.uk ('will be in stock 27th June'). I can't wait that long...has anyone in the UK bought these already and/or have any suggestions where else I should try?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• 265/40-17
    Sidewall: 4.2”
    Radius: 12.7”
    Diameter: 25.3”
    Circumference: 79.6”
    Revs/mile: 796

275/40-17
    Sidewall: 4.3”
    Radius: 12.8”
    Diameter: 25.7”
    Circumference: 80.6”
    Revs/mile: 786
    Speedo reading with 275 tyre is 1.2% slow, i.e. when your speedo reads 60mph, you're travelling at 60.7mph

Beware...if there is a significant % difference front-rear in circumference, you WILL have ABS & Transmission problems.
    That can be solved by fitting 245/45-17s to the FRONT (if they fit without fouling suspension/steering!!)

• Zitat von David8

Beware...if there is a significant % difference front-rear in circumference, you WILL have ABS & Transmission problems.
    That can be solved by fitting 245/45-17s to the FRONT (if they fit without fouling suspension/steering!!)

Thanks for the info; I currently have 235/45/17 on the front, and I don't want to replace them as they are new... Am I asking for trouble fitting 275/40/17 to the rear?

Thanks again

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• If there is a difference of 3% or more in rolling circumference between any wheels the Traction Control ‘thinks’ a wheel is slipping and acts accordingly...result endless grief...such as the transmission not changing gear properly, engine being throttled etc., If it was my car I’d stick to standard width...plenty wide enough.

Another point you might like to consider is the noise level. The F1 is an excellent tyre and I am using it now...BUT sheesh, it is very noisy.
    Great in the wet etc., etc. I think tyre technology has moved on and it is now possible to get a better tyre...much much quieter and as good or better in the wet.
    The Michelins you mention are about the best out there...so maybe go for them..........BUT...read on....

BEWARE HOWEVER ......

If you want to keep the front tyres (F1s) I would definitely recommend staying with a V-Tread Pattern. I have mixed F1 rear with PZero front....result.....complete pain in the neck....
    The car wandering all over the road....it was the ‘mix’ of tread patterns that was the cause. DO NOT MIX V-Pattern with In-Line tread front-rear.
    In conclusion, the latest Michelins do not fit that bill.... So you need another V-Pattern tyre.

Hope this helps....and good luck!!

• Many thanks for your advice; just prior to reading it I ordered a couple of Falken 452's, in the car's original 265/40/17. They seem to be reasonably popular on this forum and are cheap enough to consider changing all four tyres when the front ones need replacing next time around.

And, happily, I think the Falken 452's qualify having a V-tread.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!