Warning: 6-speed owners

• I have recently been getting asked for advice on clutches and thought it might be appropriate to share with the 6-speed owners here, what I know.

Whether you believe me or not, here is my advice.

Firstly, as the CSi is probably the most common manual transmission 8-Series, you should all know that the clutch, when new, is only just strong enough for the 380 bhp it is asked to transmit. Personally I would rate it at around 425 bhp max so when worn, or driven like a high performance sports car, it is inadequate.

The problem with this is when it wears and starts to slip, it ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS the flywheel. The flywheel runs very hot at the best of times but with spirited driving, a worn clutch or even worse, a slipping clutch, you WILL need a new flywheel EVERY clutch change.

I have a ClubE31.net members car in at the moment for a new clutch and the clutch has just started slipping. I thought you might like to see the consequencies.

I guarantee this has not been manipulated or photoshopped in any way, this is straight from the camera and cropped and resized to post.

This flywheel has got so hot, the friction face has gone blue.

Here you can see how this overheating has caused "spotting" areas around the flywheel. This tempering effect makes it impossible to reface the flywheel as the surface has different hardnesses and would cause severe or noticeable clutch judder. Also, despite the thickness of the 23lb flywheel, it can also twist slightly.

In this close-up, you can see that the surface of the flywheel has actually started to MELT and the softened surface started to drag as it has tried to transmit the torque of the clutch.

So this car now needs a new clutch and flywheel as predicted.

My advice therefore is if you suspect your clutch is worn either by being noisy, or sharp on engagement, GET| IT CHECKED, if it slips, CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY. Don't forget, we have a hydraulic clutch so it will self adjust to destruction and will not get heavy, even when knackered. Replace it with an OE spec clutch AT MINIMUM or preferably an aftermarket performance unit. You WILL save money over the period of 1 clutch life simply by saving your flywheel. If you go to MrsClutch, Shitfit or similar to save money, I'm afraid you will get what you deserve. These cars are not Ford Fiestas!

8Tech.

• Thanks for the heads up Gerry!(for the few of us it applies to :wink: )Mine is good at the moment but in the near future the 8 is coming off the road for a restoration which will include your lightweight flywheel and the short shifter from the states.
    Les

• Re: WARNING: 6-SPEED OWNERS

Zitat von 8Tech

If you go to MrsClutch, Shitfit or similar to save money, I'm afraid you will get what you deserve. These cars are not Ford Fiestas!

8Tech.

Good warning post Gerry, that flywheel is totally knackered - never seen one as blued as that.

BTW, are the two companies well known in the UK? - "Shitfit", loved that one

Cheers,
    Jason

• The 6 speed manual is much, much stronger than the Automatic and will have no issues with the additional power. The weak link was the clutch and flywheel and that is now sorted.

8Tech.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!