All gauges down? WTF

• Ok, here is how it goes.

EKM on the left, is old broken one EKM and right one is working used one from -93 csi. If you try EKM from another car in, odometer shows only "eeee" and nothing works except OBC.

Here is the procedure:
    First we have to pry out metal shields from both sides of component board. After that we swapped eeprom from right upper corner from old EKM to new EKM. I think that it keeps EKM software inside. It didn`t make any difference, still only "eeee" in odometer:hmmmm: Then we noticed that there is another tiny 8pin 93c56 eeprom down middle of component board. Soldered it out from old EKM and soldered it in to new one. EKM back in car, thumbs up and ignition on. GREAT, everything came back to life:cool:
    I think that, the 8pin eeprom keeps all the vehicle data inside.

• Zitat von bmwm5;51448

..............we swapped eeprom from right upper corner from old EKM to new EKM. I think that it keeps EKM software inside. It didn`t make any difference, still only "eeee" in odometer:hmmmm: ........

That large Chip looks like a standard EPROM, with the the small circular window (covered with a sticker) to allow UV erasing. It is a read-only memory and will only contain the main operating software. Glad you found the actual EEPROM in the end.

The attached data-sheet of the IC part number, shows how it might be possible to erase the EEPROM in situ so that the ECU will behave like a new, unprogrammed one. There is the "Erase-All" function. You could try this before swapping chips, Nothing to lose. However, a new ECU might contain some other code, other than all zeros, in which case you'll have to swap the chips, as you've done.

Interesting that the EEPROM is guaranteed for 1,000,000 WRITE operations. I wonder if the car is guaranteed for 1,000,000 km :laugh: ?

• Zitat von arnie;51464

The attached data-sheet of the IC part number, shows how it might be possible to erase the EEPROM in situ so that the ECU will behave like a new, unprogrammed one. There is the "Erase-All" function. You could try this before swapping chips, Nothing to lose. However, a new ECU might contain some other code, other than all zeros, in which case you'll have to swap the chips, as you've done.

I believe that "new" modules have some information programmed into them, so erasing the EEPROM won't work. However, if someone were to acquire a new and unused module, and read the EEPROM before installing it, that program could then be used to reset used units back to "new" status.

• Thanks for the additional insight - well worth a try.

Is it just me or does the cap in the upper left corner of the defective EKM look like it has blown?

Maybe it was just one of the caps after all - this is one of the most common reasons for instrument clusters going down the drain.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• reinhard
    you're right....

Above of the cap is a bump.

• Zitat von Danilo;51480

Yes! :mrgreen:

To me looks like a line with a marker pen... there is a lot of it on other components too. :dontknow:

Sorry for bad picture. Taken with phone camera. It`s marker pen. There is also lots of protection laquer on the board. Not any blown capasitors. Eye inspected and didn`t find any broken components. Maybe dry cap, broken diode...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!