can I switch off passenger airbag?

• It's not a system with a user override, like many of the newer cars have. The only possibility is to have the airbag control module recoded with the parameters for a single airbag system, thus it will think it's fitted in a car without passenger airbag. You could then disconnect the airbag and the drivers' side will still work.

I'm not 100% if this is possible, but I suspect it should be since single airbag 8s were sold, and BMW tends to change configuration by coding rather than different modules in these cars. However you'd need access to a GT1 or MODIC, and knowledge of which part of the ZCS key (coding key) to modify. It's not really a temporary arrangement than can be switched on and off easily.

Incidentally, the airbag system in the E31 has occupancy sensors in the seats, so it should only fire the passenger airbag if there's someone heavy enough sitting in the seat. I wouldn't rely on such an arrangement with a baby seat however!

• You could try to put a by-pass switch in series or parrallel with the occupancy sensor. You'll need the wiring diagram to see what connection you need to make or break with the switch to mimic an empty seat. (The circuit probably has some way of detecting a completely open circuit- see TT's post- but it should be possible.). And, using a 2-pole switch you can use the second set of switch contacts for a warning LED somewhere.

....but you're still relying ultimately on the car's 12-year-old electronics not to trigger the passenger airbag...

• Zitat von arnie;51190

....but you're still relying ultimately on the car's 12-year-old electronics not to trigger the passenger airbag...

Not worth the risk, I suspect. I think I'll have to stick with the rear seat for the little one, unfortunately. Thanks all for your tips/thoughts.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!