WOW WOW WOW - 2 tonne ICBM....W

• Picked the car up from Gerry at Phoenix on Saturday morning and took it for a blat around the local area, ............ I am absolutely gob smacked at the transformation, i even had to ring Gerry back to tell him.

It now handles nearly as well as my old E30 M3 did, and that was one of the all time greats in the handling department.

Forget buying those elusive 18" Alpinas....... if you are going to spend any money on your 8 get your suspension overhauled by Gerry, it will give you a car that you can quite literally "chuck" at a roundabout, it now handles flat with no wander at all, the camber plates add so much more stability, and help with the steering so much it now goes where you point, were as before you always felt there was some understeer.

Spec is:-
    Phoenix Camber Plates
    Eibach Springs all round - lowered a bit - but very subtle.
    Poweflex polybushes to roll bar and thrust arms.

I also had the fluid changed to 5.1 and some braided brake hoses fitted, this now gives a very firm, predictable, pedal, rather than "oh my god will I stop" spongy feel of the pedal with the standard hoses.

Test rides can be booked through the usual channels. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm in 8th Heaven I just can't wipe the smile of my face :):):):):):):):)

Regards
    Rob

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• I know what you mean.
    I have the camberplates, Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, 19" wheels, all new OEM bushings though.... the car handles great.

Will look into new brake lines as I really don't like the soft feel of the brakes right now.
    And performance bushings when I need a new set.

However, I have a different project in the making with my 8...... lets just say shes about to get a serious steroid injection :cool:
    I will inform on this nearer summertime.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Noggie;59136

However, I have a different project in the making with my 8...... lets just say shes about to get a serious steroid injection :cool:
    I will inform on this nearer summertime.

I feel a supercharger implant coming!

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;59138

does the brake-pedal feel really improve? I have my doubts, so far..

(or might you say that it just might be an effect of your overall satisfaction, that you also see a brake-padal feel improvement??)

just wondering whether I should get the same brake lines..

Yes, without a doubt, they make a huge difference to feel, I am very objective with modifications having owned a few really quick modified cars.

Most i have modified and worked on my self, I am now lucky enough to earn enough so i don't have to and my 8 is my daily driver so i have not got the luxury of tinkering with it at my leisure, and the TVR resides in the garage.

Previous mounts include:-
    Opel Manta A, blueprinted engine
    MKII RS2000 200HP on Twins 48's
    MKII RS2000 X-pack
    Vauxhall Chevette with RS2000 engine and box running Twin 40's

18 years ago, i put Aeroquip braided hoses, vented discs, bias adjustable pedal box (home built), Princess four pot calipers, and Sierra rear discs with a cable handbrake on my RS2000, which at the time was a pretty new and radical for a budget road going car, this also made huge differnces to the braking.

My TVR runs Aeroquip braided hoses with the same better feal.

Regards
    Rob

• Zitat von robmarrs;59135

Spec is:-
    Phoenix Camber Plates
    Eibach Springs all round - lowered a bit - but very subtle.
    Poweflex polybushes to roll bar and thrust arms.

I also had the fluid changed to 5.1 and some braided brake hoses fitted, this now gives a very firm, predictable, pedal, rather than "oh my god will I stop" spongy feel of the pedal with the standard hoses.

Whilst I havent got the poly bushes, opting for the CSi roll bar instead, I have the same set-up too, along with bilsteins. Roundabouts as so much more fun now, and the car does feel a few hundred kilos lighter all round. That said, it's no rally car, but hey it's all about relative values. Before it was a 2 tonne barge, now it's a 2 tonne go kart :laugh:

As for the brake lines, I really can't remember how they used to feel. However, I've also got an 2005 X3, and relative to that, the e31 brakes are still shocking, indeed, my VW T28 (174) stops quicker, which is just as well since it is nearly as fast :driver:

• Zitat von robmarrs;59137

I feel a supercharger implant coming!

well.... two actually :top:
    and a custom de-cat stainless exhaust, pretty much straight pipes intothe stock mufflers, should be loud enough.
    Hoping to have it all in place by June.

As for brakes, My M3 has fantastic brakes, so I get a little shock everytime I take the 8 out for a spinn, the pedal is softer, and needs to be depressed far more than the M3.
    I know I will never get the M3 feel on the 850's brakes, but I sure would like it to improve.

With the comming power boost I'm concidering a big brake kit too, so time will show.

Have thought about swaybars too, Tony, did you install all at once, or can you tell what changes the sway bar made?

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;59167

Have thought about swaybars too, Tony, did you install all at once, or can you tell what changes the sway bar made?

the sway bar (at front) went in at the same time as the Eibachs and Camber plates. So no way of telling what specific difference they caused, except that the overall effect transformed the car - clearly due to a vareity of enhancements. Still, they 'must' be better since there are standard equipment on the CSi ??? :grin2:

My 'e31-blindness' was at it's peak a year ago or so.... and the wallet suffered badly..... :harhar:

• And then it Snowed

2 tonne sled :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Zitat von Noggie;59167

well.... two actually :top:

I would be interested to know what twin superchargers you would be using as the last attempt with twin SC was rather less than a complete success. You should be able to use a single unit like mine unless you are going over 600bhp.

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;59186

I would be interested to know what twin superchargers you would be using as the last attempt with twin SC was rather less than a complete success. You should be able to use a single unit like mine unless you are going over 600bhp.

8Tech.

I have spoken to John and I have one of his kit's comming my way
    the kit is in this thread.
    From the pictures I thought it was a twin setup, but I might be wrong, never thought about asking.

http://www.8er.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7934

They have about 450hp estimated at the crank on this first car, but I have a different cam setup, and will probably have a slightly different mapping on mine because of this.
    My current setup boosts the stock 300hp n/a V12 to 354hp, so one would expect the same 50hp gain to be there after the charger, so somewhere around 500+ is what I expect my car to put out.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von 8Tech;59284

John's kit is a single centrifugal supercharger fitted similar to this.

OK, guess the picture with the two supercharges confused me ;)

Anyway, I think it will be fun :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!