ASC ABS Ecu needed to get my car back on the road. Help needed from you guys !

• From my point of view this corrosion doesn´t just happen "like so".
    Most of the E31s driving around have seen 18 yrs of service now and there is no history of badly corroded modules in the pass side sill to my knowledge.

There are a few possible culprits though that might lead humidity or even liquids to said point in the sill.

There is a sheet of sound dampening and water repellant foam just underneath the door cards. It is not unthinkable that water entering the door by way of the window seals may creep from under the door cards and find its way into the sill if the foam seal is not tight anymore (this is a well known disease in the E39 series).

A similar leaking spot might be under the A-pillar where the drains for the sunroof are. More or less the same location leaking water has been observed upon replacement of the windscreen with improper sealing.

Lastly there are a few covers under the car that ought to prevent water from entering inside. Maybe you have a close look there as well and replace and reseal if any are missing.

Did the carpet in the pass side compartment feel wet to the touch at any given time? The foam cushion can act as a sponge and keep lots of water inside, so once your module is replaced it may just continue with its eventually fatal dribble.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• yes, I do suspect that liquid has found it's way into that area of my car, but since I had this problem originally I ahve checked that area periodically and found no evidence of water retension. The carpet and sponge/foam is now and has been bone dry, and believe me I have searched for it !

Of course I will be checking all drains and covers in that area again for peace of mind. Should this unit ever fail for the same reason it would point directly to persistent moisture being a problem, but I may just have been unlucky the first two instances... ?? Three would definitely prove something is baaad.

Fingers crossed :hmmmm:

• Just got price from parts dealer £631.30 ................. I think I'll try the reboot option first :top:

Cheers, Alex

There are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary code,
    and those who don't !

• Totally confused today......abs & asc lights go out before engine start.....seems (hopefuly) to have repaired itself :top:

and those who don't !

• Zitat von Alex McDonald;63272

Totally confused today......abs & asc lights go out before engine start.....seems (hopefuly) to have repaired itself :top:

:rofl:Did you by any chance beat it {basil fawlty} style:laugh: how ever glad it's working for ya now:top:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• :rofl:@ Steve........classic comedy clip :top:

I think the threat of no pampering till my wallet recovered from the module price did the trick :devilchilli:

and those who don't !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!