ASC ABS Ecu needed to get my car back on the road. Help needed from you guys !

• I posted a while back in the Classifieds section but appreciate most people look in this forum most of the time, hence my repost.

My car is SORN'd at the moment whilst I try to find a replacement ECU for my ASC ABS. I sent mine off to BBA Reman for analysis and they say it has internal corrosion and can't even be fired up for testing :thumpdown: I've searched many breakers yards and ebay.co.uk/.com/.de and drawn a blank so far...

I therefore need a replacement. $tealer price is well over a £1000.00 and I obviously don't want to be paying that. I secondhand one from a parts car would be fine so long as it is the same code. I'll need to get it recoded to my car but my mech can do that - he did once before when I replaced the original one. That one had probably the worst known case of corrosion ever seen on an e31, visible all over the 80 odd pin connectors, and plug. We replaced the plug as well as the ecu but sadly it turns out the replacement ecu was due to conk out from within, despite it working ok for 6 months after fitting.

So, please guys, if you know anyone who is breaking a 1997 840ci Sport, or just anyone with one of these ecus on the shelf they can sell me then please let me know.

The part numbers as printed on the unit are :

ABS ASC ECU 0 265 109 022....

or in BMW speak : 34.52.1.164.133

I'm counting on you guys and the e31 community to help me out as I'm desperately missing driving my 8, and daren't drive it without the basic safety systems in place.

• Hi Tony, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I don't have an ECU to help you out, did you try FABDirect or Quarry Motors?

• Tony,

do you have a picture of your old (original) ECU? It may not be beyond repair. I have, in the past successfully resuscitated one or two engine ECUs that were in very bad shape from long-term water damage The process involves careful cleaning, resoldering and then re-laquering with a conformal coating to make it waterproof.

On a similar note, my e38 has been off the road for a year with a similar ABS fault resulting in me using the 8-series every day. On the weekend, I replaced the pre-charge pump and fault-lights were then gone. A few more test-drives and all OK. This morning on the way for an MOT, the lights came back :banghead: This kind of stuff can get expensive :harhar:

• Arnie, BBA Reman still have my ecu. I have asked them to look for a replacement but still no luck. You may recall the original one that I replaced with all the corrosion, which I posted in here, but the replacement one 'looked' ok from the outside. It's just the inards that are shot at apparently. TBH Reman seem less than enthusiastic about sourcing a replacement for me, which is somewhat annoying.

I'm trying with FAB and Quarry this morning..... Thanks for the heads up Jason.

• It's strange how these ecu's could get like that inside, as their location seems like a dry place for them? Maybe you could also look at some German sites for a replacement? I think you already tried German ebay?

• Tony,

I've checked your part number, as I have a ABS control unit - but no luck. Mine is for the M70 version.

What you need, is for the 840Ci.. and that is really bad, as that particular ABS Control unit was only EVER used in the 840 (and no other BMWs).

So, I think you'd be lucky if the BMW dealership has one.. sorry, but the rarity of the 840 might give you major headaches with this issue.

Best of luck!

• Yes, the 840 used an upgraded ABS system from the 850. The e38 and e39 that followed used an integrated ABS system with ecu and pump in one module. The only other contemporary car could be a late model e36?

• After a bit more searching/phoning today I can get superficially identical units easily, HOWEVER the part number is one digit out at the end, either 021 or 023 instead of the 022 that I need. These come off 7 series and are plentiful. What are the chances of utilising one of these units, or even have someone like BBA Reman recode the innards to suit the e31 ?? Slim to Zero ??

• compare the pins with the electrical circuits diagrams.
    If the pins are identical (not only the number but also the pin-usage) then your chances are high that it's just a different coding and that it will work "out of the box".

so.. get the diagrams out ;) (dunno where you could find the ones for the 7 series, the 8er is on wuffer.net)

• On ebay you can get the complete BMW TIS, KDS, EPC and wiring diagram 4 x DVD set for £6. This should have all the info you need.

Often a single digit difference is just an indication of an upgraded part. At most you keep the eprom from your old unit. I replaced the pre-charge pump o my e38 and the new part-number was one digit higher.

The very earliest e38, 7 series, may well have the same ABS as the 840.

• Jason that is exactly the same one as the one I've found on ebay.... however, as Fuzzy mentioned there is a big problem with the 840 in that the ECU was only used in that particular car.

In the case of my ABS pump, Bosch Number 0265 217 002, there was a superceded part number of 0265 217 000 which would work, and this is the one I bought off Sprucegoose (John) and had fitted. BBA Reman say that the combo of that and my ASC Ecu (ending 022) would work, but with no other numbers. The e38 Ecu (ending 021) apparently wont work, but then they are not prepared to check the wire diagrams for me. That is something will need to do myself.

I find it incredible that something could be so different for the sake of one digit, and I wonder what it is about the e31 system that set it apart from the e38 when they appear to use the same Bosch Parts (bar one digit)

However, I realise that there most likely IS a big difference. I will buy the wire diagrams Arnie pointed out and check though. For £6 it has to be worth a try.

It's gonna take a while though as I'd be learning from scratch about these things. Thanks for your help so far guys.

• Tony,

I bought this one today, to help fix my e38 ABS problems. Note that the wiring diagrams for the e31 seem not to be included in these newer (WDS-12) wiring DVDs so you'll probbaly need to get the ETM from Wuffer.net. However, all the other TIS and ECP data etc on the DVDs includes the e31. On ebay you can also get the older TIS CD sets which have the e31 wiring diagrams. Check the descriptions.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…iewItem&item=170318576517

The difference may be DSC. The e31 only had ABS+ ASC, but the e38s had DSC instead of ASC.

Anyway, at least the ecu is a separate, conventional, circuit-board, which should be simpler to repair than the new integrated versions, where the bond-wires on the hybrid circuits fail.

Pict Bosch ABS 5.3

• Just small point to add Arnie, the M73 had DSC, my 1997 car has DSC.

• Anyone remember the Yellow Pages advert for 'Fly Fishing' by J R Hartley ? :hmmmm:

I must have phoned 10 different breakers today alone, and had a lengthy discussion with Reman about the possibilities of using a e38 unit, or trying to convince them to reflash the unit to work in my car.....

Anyway, FABdirect have just phoned me back at the end of the day and told me they had one in stock (6 hours later) :top: Same part number and everything.... RESULT :top:

£150 delivered. :top::top:

Jason, I owe you a pint, again :beer:

Just hope it was the corroded ECU that was causing my problems now ! I know the speed sensors are OK, I know the Pump is OK, and now the Ecu is OK (according to FAB anyway, it's tested and working).

I will know by mid next week either way....

• There were M62 E38/39 that had ASC+T only ( until 1998 ). In theory the unit will be the same as the one for the E31 M62.
    All those cars also share the same ABS hydro unit.
    BUT only the E31 had the H31 brake with a hydraulic brake booster which may make a big difference in way of the programming of the ECU.
    Also I assume that there will be different brake setups for different cars (distribution back/front).
    So, by electrical means the ECU will probably work but from the programming (maybe only coding!) side it may actually not be working as expected - with whatever unpredictable results.
    I´d give it a shot anyway - there is nearly no chance at all to get used ECUs specifically for E31 M62 over here.
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• Excellent news Tony, glad you managed to source one. I think FAB offer some good stuff but they're not necessarily the cheapest.

I've got a Fly Fishing book somewhere laying around here by a chap called Hartley.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!