Supercharger install

• Hello Egil,

My new charger is installated and we have around 470 Hp on the wheels(but we can get more, however, than we must change injectors, a.s.o.).
    Avarage consuming over 850k(all kinds of roads, city, a.s.o.) till now around 15l /100k.
    So it's possibel.....:top:

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;76827

There seems to be some guessing in the whole fat/lean matter.. Can you take the car to a testing shop, where they can measure the exhaust oxygen value at the exhaust tip? Then you'd know exactly, what's going on.

I just got my TÜV (MOT) and they check the CO and Oxygen values here.. so, you might have the same thing in your country?
    That also would releave Firebird and John from having to guess so much... What do you think?

I did when I did the Dyno. up to 4000rpm the mix was at 12-13, from 4300rpm and up it's like 10,5.
    I believe the best mix is 13,7 from what I've read on different tuning pages.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von DickB;76831

Hello Egil,

My new charger is installated and we have around 470 Hp on the wheels(but we can get more, however, than we must change injectors, a.s.o.).
    Avarage consuming over 850k(all kinds of roads, city, a.s.o.) till now around 15l /100k.
    So it's possibel.....:top:

Nice. What charger and what model 8er?
    Ive a CSi and this is on the long term. Would be interested seeing/getting the brackets and intake piping you pioneers are using.

• Zitat von Noggie;76834

I did when I did the Dyno. up to 4000rpm the mix was at 12-13, from 4300rpm and up it's like 10,5.
    I believe the best mix is 13,7 from what I've read on different tuning pages.

The best value for your engine is difficult to guess. The optimal value is 14.7 (cleanest combustion, but not best power). Any lower value is more on the safe side (concerning engine knock) and worse for the cats (in a worst case scenario you'll get fuel in the cats wich burns them to death :) - but I doubt that happens with your setup and with our engines since the cats are so damn far away from the engine).

But that's excellent! John and Firebird should be able to give you nicely tuned chips with this :) (You did measure those values at steady state, right? you have to keep the engine speed constant for a while for the chips to do their work.. using the values from a power-dyno-run is not that good, because all the oxy-sensors need approx 0.5 seconds to deliver a good value).

I believe (and that's just a guess, here) that from about 4000rpm, the oxygen sensor values are ignored by our M70 engine DMEs. That might explain the higher mix.

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;76838

But that's excellent! John and Firebird should be able to give you nicely tuned chips with this :) (You did measure those values at steady state, right? you have to keep the engine speed constant for a while for the chips to do their work.. using the values from a power-dyno-run is not that good, because all the oxy-sensors need approx 0.5 seconds to deliver a good value).

I believe (and that's just a guess, here) that from about 4000rpm, the oxygen sensor values are ignored by our M70 engine DMEs. That might explain the higher mix.

This was at a normal dyno run, with a broadband lambda in the exhaust.

As from the +4000RPM I've been told the timing was advanced to see how that played out with my cams, and it did not work out too good.

I'm debating with my self if I should spend about 400 euros on a live logging system so that I can make a log based on day to day driving for further fine tuning.
    I guess John will have to send me 2 more chips and then we are close, hope to get the first one now in early June.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von mattsimis;76836

Nice. What charger and what model 8er?
    Ive a CSi and this is on the long term. Would be interested seeing/getting the brackets and intake piping you pioneers are using.

I'll post it at a seperated thread(I don't want to do it on Egils thread...), it was only a remarck to him that it shouldn't be a problem to get his chargerproject working as he would like it.

Dick

• Zitat von Noggie;76839

I'm debating with my self if I should spend about 400 euros on a live logging system so that I can make a log based on day to day driving for further fine tuning.

Sounds good.. could you post a link to that system? I would be interested, as well.

• Zitat von DickB;76843

I'll post it at a seperated thread(I don't want to do it on Egils thread...), it was only a remarck to him that it shouldn't be a problem to get his chargerproject working as he would like it.

Sounds good to keep the systems separate Dick.

I'm happy for you that you also have a working system now.

My target with the current setup is 400whp, but I have an option to get maybe 50whp more at my own risk.

Fuzzi.

I do not have the name of that system but it was mentioned to me by a tuner I approached to do the final tuning of my car.
    there was two seperate systems. one just monitoring, and one with logging aswell.
    think it logged A/F, Rpm and throttle possition.
    I'll see what I can dig up and post it for you.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• New update.

The engine is currently in bits.

After 3 map's with deterriorating result, leak checking, thorrough troubleshooting and setting up the the blow off valve to no avail the attention was turned to my Hartge camshafts.

A vale overlap appears to be the reason for my troubles an the decision was made to revert back to stock camshafts.

I started the demolission work yesterday and need to do some cleaning before the work continues.

New camshafts are on the way thanks to Gerry at Phoenix Motorsport.

The goal is to have the car up and running with an overspeed pully that should give me about 500hp on the crank in a week.

This gives me just over two weeks of test driving before the Dutch meeting in September.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Timm;80535

I hope that goes well Egil. Looking forward to hearing the results....

Think this will be just fine as my car now will be stock, and then Johns kit has been proven to work.

Camshafts arrived today so now I've got most of what I need in hand.
    Need to get a few small things but that should be here by the weekend.

Head covers will be re-painted as there were some rust spots on them.
    The intakes are cleaned up and painted black while they are off.
    Will replace a few other minor items while I have everything off, fuel hoses ect.

degreased the engine and gave it a proper cleaning today, bet that engine haven't been this clean for more than 15 years.

Left to dry and will pull the head covers off and start with the camshafts tomorrow.
    If all goes well I should be up and running sometime during the weekend.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• :top: Hope it will work now Egil!

Dick

• Hello Terje,

Keep up the good work!:laugh:

Otherwise it's also ok when Egil doesn't have the charger on the car:aetsch:
    (He will have demand a race than and who knows.....:mrgreen-angel:)

Question: what kind of airfilter he usses to have enough flow?
    I also use one at this moment, but the torck isn't ok because of it, so e will build a double set now to solve this problem(only at full performance).

Dick

• Engine is now opened and the camshaft area looked like new.
    no loose banjo bolts or burned oil... looked perfect.

One problem with this job is that I realize that this was not a project that should have been planned to take 1-2 weeks.
    There are so many little tings I want to do now that everything is easy accessible.
    All those little things that should have been cleaned and painted, rusty bolts that should have been replaced, covers in need of blasting and paint.

The list of things I'm doing grows every day, but I'm now at the stage where I need to put time and cost into the matter.
    Wish I had 4-6 months to do this job.... then my engine compartment would look like new.

Things stopped today when we realized we needed a tool to pull off the seat for the rotors inside the distributor cap, this is fixed to the front end of the camshafts and has to come off.
    will get the tool tomorrow.

Sent my intakes and valve covers to be blasted and they will be painted when they return in a few days.
    Valve coves in silver and intakes in black.

All these cosmetic things have made this project stretch out in time so I'm now looking at completion sometime next week, all depending on when I get the parts back from blasting.

Holland is still 3 weeks away so I think I will make it unless something unforeseen and devastating happens.

Oh and Dick.... I do not know what filter I have, its an open one under my right headlamp.
    And a race is out of the question.... even though the outcome would be interesting, I think you may have the highest power output, but I may have a gearing advantage with my 3.45 diff.
    Really doesn't matter, both cars are silly fast after all.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• :winkwink: Egil

Zitat von Noggie;80567

Things stopped today when we realized we needed a tool to pull off the seat for the rotors inside the distributor cap, this is fixed to the front end of the camshafts and has to come off.
    will get the tool tomorrow.

Sent my intakes and valve covers to be blasted and they will be painted when they return in a few days.
    Valve coves in silver and intakes in black.

A special tool? I'm curious, please take a photo...

The intakes get blasted with what? Do you remember Tom Wuffers wine rack?

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• The tool.. not sure what this is called in English.
    Should be standard in any garage.... but not mine.... yet :)

The parts are blasted with something soft, perhaps limestone powder, or something similar to flour.

I handed this in to a pro. and told him my concerns for the engine and the fate of engines like Wuffers.
    Where he simply replied that someone apparently did a poor job cleaning up the parts after blasting.
    So I'm confident in his skills.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von NickF;80569

I'm sure you've already done them but if not change your fuel lines while you're at it. Much easier with the intakes/valve covers off.

Have 3m of fuel hose on the shelf, so that will be done.
    Though my hoses looked in good shape.
    Will also do the vacuum system.

We checked the timing and it's actually off by allmost a tooth, guess the timing chain has streached a bit over time.
    cylinders 1-6 was further out than 7-12.

My engine has 147.000km on the clock so I guess getting the timing adjusted would be a good idea for anyone with a V12 with more than 150.000km on it.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;80567

Oh and Dick.... I do not know what filter I have, its an open one under my right headlamp.
    And a race is out of the question.... even though the outcome would be interesting, I think you may have the highest power output, but I may have a gearing advantage with my 3.45 diff.
    Really doesn't matter, both cars are silly fast after all.

The same by my Egil, but it's not large enough(for normal driving it's ok) so I'm searching for a bigger one(not in messure but in m3).

:laugh: It's only for fun, we could also cruise, no problem!:harhar:

Dick

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!