Supercharger install

• Thought I'd start a thread on my Supecharger install.
    The kit I have is from the User John in DC and anyone interrested should contact him directly.

I started today, but did not bring my camera.
    Hopefully I will have this install completed by July 1st.

Prior to installation some parts need to be removed.
    So today I removed:
    -both headlamps.
    -both air filter housings.
    -the maf sensors and tubing.

One would think this was an easy job, but it actually took me about 2 hours to do, had some problems figuring out how to remove the parts so one side took me quite some time, an the other side maybe 30 minutes.

Next step is to jack up the car and remove som plastic and start the actuall supercharger install.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I will ad pictures, I just forgot my camera today, didn't do much so you haven't missed anything yet.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• so, day two... another 2 hours today.

Car is now jacked up, and I proceded to remove the cover under the car, and the liwer chin spoiler.
    I't amazing how many pieces there are under the car, and the various ways they have been fixed to the car.

I brought my camera today, but when I was going to take some pictures the battery died... just my luck.

I will charge my battery and take pictures tomorrow, so far not much has happened anyway.
    But tomorrw I hope to start fitting the SC bracket.

Will keep you posted.

edit:
    Adding a picture of the kit from the instalation manual.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Put another 4 hours in today, bringing the total up to 6 hours.

Still no parts have actually been fitted, but I managed to cut away the plastic to accomodate the intercooler today. This should conclude all the preparation work that needed to be done.

I have finally aquired some help, so tomorrow me and a friend will start the actuall intall.

And I got my camera working today :)

not to informative pictures, but then again, there is not much to take pictures of yet.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Today I had help... thank god for that....
    We put in about 11 hours of work..... and there is still plenty to do.

Basically today we got the brackets mounted.
    This turned out to be a bit more work than me and the manufacturer thought.

turns out my car had a different A/C compressor unit....
    So things got into conflict with the motor mount.
    Aftr some phone calls, and some invesitgation we had no choice but to further modify the A/C bracket.
    when this finally cleared the motor mount, we were happy campers..... for a while....
    Then the next part of the SC bracket would not line up.... so the A/C unit bracket had to be modified again.
    Finally we got everything in place and then spent about 2 hours getting the belt and tensioner on.

So in the end, today we went from this.

To this.

tomorrow we hope to more or less complete the installation.
    The worst parts are done.
    one more bracket and a pully, then the SC and two belts and that is done.
    should be a quick job.

So by tomorrow I think we should be more or less finished, except I'm waiting for the new chips which are sent to me tomorrow.
    I also need to get my exhaust done due to the crank case ventillation which is a part of the exhaust.
    Hope to have the car running by friday, it all depends on the chips.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• another day of installation, only 4 hours today due to other non car related stuff.

Yesterdays optimism was swiftly washed away when we test fittet the supercharger.
    The brackets did not line up and things where interfering to prevent movment in the desired direction.

So the 2nd bracket had to come off again, and we had to modify both that and further modify the A/C compressor bracket.

But in the end we got her in.

Have started on the SC oil system, and the intercooler mounts just need to be adjusted and then that can go in too.

I have to say that if we had put all the brackets together on the work bench prior to installing them on the car we could have done the modifications very quick.
    but trust me, once that A/C compressor is back in place you don't want to take it out again.

so this is where today got us.
    SC and all belts and pullies are installed.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I'm trying hard not to get too excited by this, but I have to say Noggie it's starting to look good, & I'm managing to resist the urge at the moment;-)

Good work fella:top:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840;66015

I'm trying hard not to get too excited by this, but I have to say Noggie it's starting to look good, & I'm managing to resist the urge at the moment;-)

Good work fella:top:

Just wait for the videos...... then it will be REALLY hard to resist :)

Oh, and all the things I learn is going right back to John, who will update his manual, and put in all the chages.
    I got a kit that fitted just fine on the US car the buildt/designed this kit on.
    However despite the part catalog saying there are no difference there are a different A/C compressor and bracket on my car.
    The US car is a 1991, mine is a 1990 euro, so maybe BMW changed their casting molds but not the pnr. and it has a different A/C unit than mine.
    I have the old dagerous to the Ozone layer refrigerant, 12 I believe its called.

Anyway, the A/C compressor and bracket is the thing that has caused all my problems.
    It can be easily fixed, but in my case it has been a long way because things should have been bolt on, and we hadto figure out where to do the changes
    The upside is that the next guy who buys a kit will be told to check certain things and do changes that will make his installation alot smoother.

I have the 3rd kit ever made, and a guy in Quwait that has kit no.2 has not completed his install yet either.
    The first kit is the prototype kit that is in the red car on Johns posts.

So I'm working out all the small bug's you might say :)

Small edit:
    My new ECU chips are in the mail today, hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week.
    I was hoping to have her running by the weekend.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• forgot my camera today so sadly no pics.

but today the intercooler and most of the ducting was completed, only need to fit the MAF and the throttlebodies, but that might take some time to install due to very tight hoses, Ii started on one side but did not complete it.
    new air filter is installed, and the SC oil system is almost complete, only the oil cooler connections left, basically a 10 minute job.

Started to put the head lamps back aswell.

all the stuff under the car is done so tomorrow it is jacked down and we'll do the injectors and the intakes.

I've been told the chips will be here on Friday, so I hope to take her out for a test run on friday afternoon.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I've more to do than take pictures :grin2:

Why my AC bracket was a pain you can see in this picture.

Notice that your bracket is smooth under, but mine is not, that line you see under mine is actually about 2mm high, so that caused alot of problems before it was grinded away.
    Sadly we did not notice that untill everything was installed, so we grinded it on the car rather that take it off again.

So today we finished the installation.
    Only missing the DME chips that should be here on Friday, and the crank house ventilation that need to be welded into my exhaust.

Some pictures.

Happy Gerry? or do you want more?? It's just that uploading pictures is a PITA.

One question for the board.

I removed my old fuel injectors and they looked like this (all12 of them)
    is the layer of sot/oil around the tips normal or any cause for concern?

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I can't see your pics either but it is normal to have all that thick black crud on the injector tips, you can clean it off with solvent and a toothbrush. You'll find more crud like this in your intake manifolds, it's a pain to clean off but does come off in the end.

• Nope, still not happy. There is not 1 picture to be seen on any of your posts apart from the first one showing the kit (post #5). No bracket pic, no injector pics, nothing! If I cannot see pics and neither can NickF, can anyone???

Cheers, Gerry.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!