Flickering lights

• I was hoping someone could shed some light on something I have just noticed with my 8. When I switch on the headlights I notice that the dash, console lights and lights by the gearstick (K/S switch) dim ever so slightly, if I put my foot on the accelerator and rev the car then the headlights, the dash lights and the lights near the gearstick (K/S switch) become brighter and then dim when I take my foot off.
    Does this mean something is on the way out? Perhaps the alternator/batteries?
    All help much appreciated.

• I don't know, I bought the car last year in November and not sure if they have been changed but will have a look once I get home, I do remember it was a bit more difficult to start last week. It is due an MOT soon so will get them changed if that is it. I hope it is not the alternator as I had that go on me in my 5 series last year on the M3 in pouring rain in December at 11 pm. Not a nice experience!

• Batteries

Nick makes a good Point.....COSTCO has good prices.....but they're renowned for rapid stock changes and don't stock batteries at the moment......aarrgh!
    They do a good deal on OEM BMW Fire Extinguishers though...for £10!:laugh:

Definitely as he suggests change both batteries. I'd recommend this anyway and go from there......:winkwink:

• You can use option 9 of the "secret functions" in the MID to see what voltages your alternator delivers.

To me just under 13V on idle and close to up until over 14.0V at elevated rpms is the norm.

If you find deviations from this you should also consider having the alternator/regulator checked.

Cheers
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!