Instrument cluster not functioning correctly!

• Zitat von revtor;86543

By the way, since your last topic about this issue I've been experimenting with EKM modules and instrument clusters and found out ways to install used parts without ending up with the dreaded "EEEE" and keeping your VIN, coding data and correct mileage - just as if you replaced it with a brand new dealer part. I wrote an article about replacing the instrument cluster with a used part - Instrument cluster swap (no EEPROM programmer or soldering required - just a diagnostics interface and software). The other way around (EKM module swap) is possible as well, but at the moment still requires an EEPROM programmer. I hope to find a simple software based solution for this too in the future.

From your descriptions, I'd say your instrument cluster is faulty. With the new information and possibility to swap with used parts, I'd get a used cluster from a breaker and use my method to assign it to your car. I think there's a good chance you'll go into spring with a new used but working cluster :mrgreen:

There's an instrument cluster on UK Ebay at the moment - they want £500 for it though!

• Thanks Timm and Revtor

About a year ago I bought a used cluster from one of the main UK based BMW scrappers. Swapped it out and it still showed the same faults as the original. Perhaps it was faulty too but I think it would be more than just a coincidence.
    The next step is to run duplicate wires from the module/fuse box etc to the cluster to try and diagnose a break of some sort.
    This is getting really frustrating. The cluster worked for about 3 months last year, after not working for 8 months, then all of a sudden stopped again in October and hasn't flickered since. Weirdly it started working as I left the BMW Festival at Gaydon, so perhaps it picked up cosmic waves from the car parked next to it!
    If you do find any further info Revtor please feel free to pass it on [ or just pop over on a plane!]
    Thanks again chaps

• Revtor....Just read your Wiki entry. Mighty impressive!

Just one thought if Timm or Revtor may be able to assist. When the cluster goes through the automatic checks all dials work as normal...Would this have any bearing on whether the cluster may be faulty or the EKM / SIGNAL at fault?

• Zitat von sandwich;86566

Revtor....Just read your Wiki entry. Mighty impressive!

Just one thought if Timm or Revtor may be able to assist. When the cluster goes through the automatic checks all dials work as normal...Would this have any bearing on whether the cluster may be faulty or the EKM / SIGNAL at fault?

Hi,

didn't you last year mention to buy a brand new dealer unit cluster board?

coppied out from there: "Anyway...fast forward to today. I n=booked it in with my local Mini dealership [ I know the guy who runs it and they have a techie who was with BMW for 15 years and knows his onions with electrical work on the E31] Got a call this afternoon and its been traced to a faulty PCB on the cluster. I've had enough of trying to do it on the cheap, so new part is ordered and its due to be fitted next week. There is only one new cluster in BMW Germany..

The price...wait for it...fitted its £895.00! Yikes. Thats just for a new PCB. No instruments or mileage display.

Oh well. "

If you can't eliminate easy the cables/connectors, just take/buy a used E31 cluster and EKM and that way you will know it's not from them since it will be highly unlikely to behave the same way. As mentioned before from revtor, you should be able to recode a used cluster to "unused" condition via Tool32 and EKM can be done via EPROM modification. If you can't do that EKM EPROM mod - I can do it for you or I can sell you one used EKM with modified EPROM so it will take EPROM contest from your original cluster EPROM after pluged in to your car (same way like a new EKM would do from dealer).

firebird

• Thanks for that firebird. I ordered it and was then advised the next day that it would be useless without a new EKM to go with it.Total price was then over £2000.00. The cluster then started working again, and did for the next 3 months or so. Stopped again around October so put the ca rin the garage for winter and forgot about it!
    So....are you saying that I can source ANY cluster and you can reprogramme so it can be considered as new? I wont need to change the EKM?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers

Steve

• Yes, as mentioned before, the cluster can be reprogrammed to "unused" (what means it will "adapt" to your original EKM (or any previuosly programmed/used EKM) after you plug it to your car (cluster).
    For a used EKM - it needs a hardware mod. What means you have to reprogramm the EPROM in that EKM. After the mod to any "used" EKM it will look like a "unused"/"virgin" EKM (same like the one that the stealer takes out from his shelf, except it is a used one:-). Once you plug this modified used EKM to your original cluster, it will take the information from your cluster and "get married" to it temporary. After 8 hours of driving in that car it will be married forver to that cluster, except someone is "playing" again with it on the bench :)

If you got two used units (cluster and EKM), I can do it for you (cluster is just software job, EKM needs a bit more, since it is a hardware mod).

I still got a used cluster (Euro, but the board itself is the same) and a few EKMs, that I could sell and ship to you (already modified and ready to plug in).

firebird

• Zitat von sandwich;86570

I ordered it and was then advised the next day that it would be useless without a new EKM to go with it.Total price was then over £2000.00.

that's BS - what shop did this release?

A new "unmarried" cluster will work with a used EKM and a "unmarried" EKM will work with an used cluster.

Actually if both (cluster and EKM) are new, they will not work and even a dealership can not programm them to get to work togehther with their software. Only BMW plant can do that on the bench or a few guys who have the knowledge and tools.

firebird

• Zitat von sandwich;86565

About a year ago I bought a used cluster from one of the main UK based BMW scrappers. Swapped it out and it still showed the same faults as the original. Perhaps it was faulty too but I think it would be more than just a coincidence.

I must have looked over that... When you start a new thread it's best to summarize everything that was done/tried before. Otherwise it's difficult to keep track of everything...

Zitat

The next step is to run duplicate wires from the module/fuse box etc to the cluster to try and diagnose a break of some sort.

The EKM and instrument cluster communicate over a single-wire serial bus. The EKM controls trip and odometer, speedometer, coolant temperature gauge, fuel gauge. In addition it controls the low fuel, handbrake, seat belt, brake pressure/fluid, engine oil pressure and check control warning lights. If anything was wrong with this wire, none of these should work. But you only mention the three gauges. As far as I know the odometer worked just fine, right? So the wire between EKM and instrument cluster is ok. There are of course the power lines to the instrument cluster: voltage terminals 30, R and 15 (only terminals 30 and R are used for the gauges). If anything was wrong with these, the cluster would show a lot less activity than just three bad gauges. So again, I doubt these wires are bad.

Then the EKM. It's always a suspect in case of instrument cluster oddities but you said that the MID indicates correct fuel tank contents whereas the instrument cluster doesn't. Although MID and instrument cluster do not communicate with the EKM over the same bus, both get their data from the EKM. I think it's highly unlikely the EKM can present data to the MID, but not the instrument cluster. And if something was wrong with the serial interface between EKM and instrument cluster, the latter would show very little activity. Besides, the instrument cluster stores an error message if the data link to the EKM was interrupted/defective. The same applies to the EKM - it also stores an error message if the data link has issues.

To me these are clear indications the problem is in the instrument cluster. I know you got the used instrument cluster and it showed exactly the same behavior. Logic says the problem can't be in the instrument cluster then, but I fail to see how the EKM can be responsible for the behavior you describe. Also, there's the fact that your tachometer doesn't work. It's not controlled by the EKM. The speedometer on the other hand is controlled by the EKM and that one works...

Is there really no chance of testing a known-working instrument cluster in your car or your instrument cluster in someone else's car? It's perfectly safe to do. That would immediately clear all doubt about the source of the problem.

If that's impossible, you may want to take up firebird's offer and get one of his cleared EKM modules. As long as you don't use it for over 8 (operating) hours with the same instrument cluster attached, you can still sell it as cleared if it doesn't fix your problem (the operating hours counter resets if another instrument cluster is attached within 8 operating hours)...

• Zitat von arnie;86612

What about a faulty connector to the instrument cluster (bad contacts) ?

Zitat von firebird;86569

If you can't eliminate easy the cables/connectors, just take/buy a used E31 cluster and EKM and that way you will know it's not from them since it will be highly unlikely to behave the same way. As mentioned before........

we brought up this before too

firebird

• hello :winkwink:

J had the same problems, but I every 4 meters
    It is also strange that I've had to change my buttocks gong noise?
    although there is no link between nya counters - and gong

but now everything works?? but for how long?

if not two days before having problems with the meters I have noticed a lot of condensation on the windshield by following a sunny day
    I wonder if he nya no connection with the humidity?

Eric

• Important update: Further information from sandwich and tests performed by firebird and myself shed a different light on this issue.

First of all: A used instrument cluster does not only have a non functional trip/odometer ("EEEE"), but also the gauges are inoperative. Earlier it was suggested the gauges would work normally and I never questioned this. This is not correct! When sandwich said his used instrument cluster showed exactly the same faulty behavior as the original instrument cluster, I assumed he had three dead gauges but a working speedometer (as is the case with the original instrument cluster). However, sandwich never drove the car with the used instrument cluster so he never actually saw the speedometer work - he just assumed the problem would be the same because the three other gauges didn't work. That's why we got nowhere in diagnosing the problem in this thread...

In other words, the used instrument cluster did not show the same behavior and had not three, but all four gauges inoperative. As firebird knew and I just found out, this is normal behavior for a used instrument cluster. That means a used instrument cluster cannot be used in another car to test functionality. Thus there's most likely nothing wrong with sandwich's used instrument cluster. A used instrument cluster becomes fully functional once its used flag has been cleared (see Instrument cluster swap for details on clearing the used flag).

With this new information, I'm quite convinced that the original instrument cluster is the only thing that is wrong with sandwich's car. I'm sure that a new or properly cleared used instrument cluster will fix his problem.

• Hi guys

Just a word of apologies to all following this thread! When I put the used cluster in the car, as it showed the same faults when connected, I didnt bother to drive it as I just presumed it was another faulty cluster, so didn't see whether the speedo was operating correctly. Sadly I don't have an in depth knowledge of the technical aspects of the E31....if only I did.
    A huge thank you to Revtor and others who have contributed. It would seem that I may be on the home straight!

• The dreaded cluster update!

Phew.

A massive thank you to Revtor, for all his help re my cluster. I purchased another from a scrappy for £50.00 and followed the attached to the letter.
    Reinstalled today and lo and behold all is now fine. It proves that the EKM does not have to be from the same vehicle as the cluster, as the cluster can be cleared of all info to act as a new item.
    Once again...huge thanks to Revtor. Has saved me over £1000.00 as I was on the verge of having to go down the new EKM and cluster route.

Heres the pertinent wiki

http://e31wiki.org/wiki/Instrument_cluster_swap

The knowledge and helpful attitude of guys on this forum will never cease to amaze me!

Thanks again

PS I've just bought a Mazda Bongo camper...Dont ask! But heres a strange one. Speedo is in MPH. Odometer and trip is in KM's!

• Zitat von Timm;87454

Great outcome and an excellent Wiki!

To say I'm over the moon is a total understatement. It seems strange after nearly two years to see all the gauges working again. I was getting used to using the 'range' function on the MID as opposed to the fuel gauge!
    Now to sort out pixel failure!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!