Passenger side door latch problem!

• Morning guys! just wondered if someone could supply me with a passenger door latch assembly diagram?

My problem is the door shuts (unconvincingly) the widow goes up into the seal, then it drops the regulation 1/2" as if the doors going to open again?

The window appears to be working as it should.

Theres nothing hindering the window around the seal area or door area.

Ive inspected (without removal) the lock catch and its movement seems hindered as opposed to the drivers door - ticking your fingers in the catch and opperating it with your fingers the DRIVERS catch has a noteable spring in it (returning the catch to the open position). However the passenger side when operated by hand seems sluggish and doesnt spring back to the open positition.

So im guessing somethings up with the lock catch itself?

Any ideas greatfully recieved as its slightly dangerous and the window is currently stopped 1/2" open.

Cheers,

Ben.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Hi, it sounds to me as it's possible that the handle release mechanism is possible broken - BMW used cheap pot metal for the castings and they are known to break. Have a look at this diagram from realoem, the part that breaks doesn't seem to have a prt number but it's the main casting. You might be lucky and it might be a microswitch that's gone south (although I very much doubt it from your symptom description, faulty MS can give you window drop problems.) Here's the realoem link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sho…&btnr=41_0896&hg=41&fg=40

and here's a thread on bimmerforums that discussed this problem and shows some pics of what's involved: http://forums.bimmerforums.com…/showthread.php?t=1022381

• hi argonaut,

thanks for the reply, ill double check the handle itself but i had it out not so long ago as i had them colour-coded and they were perfect.

I believe its the lock itself though as its operation of the latch/lock mechanism is different to that of the drivers door... :dontknow:

Im diss-assembling the door tonight so will report back!

• Ah, I think I might have misunderstood you in your first post - I was assuming you meant the handle but I see now that you meant the actual locking mechanism - I assume you mean where it locks on the B post?

Maybe the mechanism needs a bit of lubrication, anyway I look forward to hearing how you get along this evening.
    Cheers

• Hi!

yep no problems chap... yes its where the door locks to the B-post.

Ive thought about GT85 so will try that first!

Will keep you posted!

• Thanks for that Pelle.

Right...last night i checked it out...gave the door catch a good squirt with GT85...didnt work.

tried a window reset...didnt work - window (up) stopped at the 1/2" open position.

took the door card off and inspected the microswitch...was slightly dusty/dirty on the outside, looked at the 2 connector pins but they looked fine - the window dropped slightly when i disconnected the switch...then went back to position when i reconnected.

Checked the wires werent frayed etc etc everythig ok - microswitch was in its cradle also.

Didnt remove the door lock but couldnt see anything untoward...

Put the door card on, shut the door and still the window goes up to seal and then drops to the 1/2" open position.

....:hmmmm:....

so ive admitted defeat... handing it over to my auto-sparky later this week.

I now think its nothing to do with the lock mechanism...and believe its a relay.

which could be costly... :roll:

• Have a similar problem on my M3. the drivers side window stops about 1/2"-1" before fully closed.
    Mine however does not close fully and the drop, it simply just stops too early.

BMW told me they need to hook up their diagnostic unit and teach the window the correct stop possition.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Yep...will see what the computer says...

not a huge fan of pillar-less windows...they look great but in my experience of them...a PITA!!!

• Have you tried adjusting the regulator stop? on the inside of the door.:top: Believe that it is wrong adjusted because the window goes all the way up and down. It does not know when the window is at the top.

• Hi Pelle, ill take a look at that before my auto electrician has a go... i need to remove the door card again anyway to replace missing panel pop-clips that were kindly broken and not replaced by whoever removed the card before me! :naughty:

think theres a how too on adjusting the window position somewhere on here...

• Ok, we have an answer from my auto electricians - they say its the microswitch ( £28 ). The glass, afer a while stopped going up to seal (closed) so i deamed it worthless checking the position of the glass itself. I thought it may be the position switch (which failed back in 2003 and was repaired by BMW according to my S/H) or relay but luckily its the M-S.

The part is on order from germany so i have a wait on but luckily the car is at Sytner tomorrow for her Ins. II service and im away next week so when i return it should be a noticeably different car to drive! :top:

Will keep you posted as to wether its the M-S that sorts it but these guys have never been wrong before so...:cool:

• Zitat von Benji 840Ci Sport;73035

Ok, we have an answer from my auto electricians - they say its the microswitch ( £28 ). The glass, afer a while stopped going up to seal (closed) so i deamed it worthless checking the position of the glass itself. I thought it may be the position switch (which failed back in 2003 and was repaired by BMW according to my S/H) or relay but luckily its the M-S.

The part is on order from germany so i have a wait on but luckily the car is at Sytner tomorrow for her Ins. II service and im away next week so when i return it should be a noticeably different car to drive! :top:

Will keep you posted as to wether its the M-S that sorts it but these guys have never been wrong before so...:cool:

Good news, turns out you were luckier than I expected you to be (refer my first post to your thread )
    Glad to hear you've got it sorted :)

• Hi Bneji, DId the Microswitch sort out the problem? I have the same issue. The passenger door closes, window goes up to top, everything fine, then 30 seconds later, the window drops 1/2" and the interior lights come on - if left a couple of minutes the alarm starts bleeping. I thought maybe the door wasn't shutting tightly so moved the "B" pillar latch slight inwards. Door shuts tightly but still the window drops 1/2" after a couple of seconds as if it thinks the door is not closed properly. I have no garage so am loath to start stripping down the door and find I have to leave it in this state while waiting for parts. At the moment I have had to gaffa tape up the gap and disconnect the batteries to save them going flat.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!