2 E39 Alpina 18" wheels

• I have a chance of 2 rear 18" Aplina wheels from an E39
    Slim chance of finding fronts, but is it worth me buying them for my 850 incase a pair of fronts should come along?
    I take it they do fit the E31 ?

• The E39 has a larger bore (74.1mm) so the alloys will need hub-centric rings at the very least. I know many members have good experience of using these rings but the E31 can be very fussy!

• Zitat von 900ss;72975

I take it they do fit the E31 ?

Hi,

they don´t really fit the E31. The E39 has a hub diameter of 74,1mm, all the others (including E31) have 72,6mm. So if you want them at all costs - with centering rings they would be mountable for shure. But I would try to find other ones with an original fitting diameter.

Cheers
    Gabriel

Edit: Ohh, too slow :)

• E31-specific 18" staggered Alpina wheels are still available new via Alpina (at an exorbitant price though).

But there is an alternative that could be ideal for folks in the U.K.:

I bought one new E31-specific Alpina wheel from this excellent source below in the U.K. and had it shipped to me (L.A.). The price point was the best that I have ever seen anywhere on Earth, including fassst shipping.

Christopher Murray
    info@alloywheelsdirect.net

Again, Christopher is located in the U.K.

Send him an email and see if he has anymore (bought my wheel in October '08 ).

• Exorbitant is a pretty much relative figure :D
    Last I heard was about 2400 EUR per set of rims which from my point of view is not outlandish for Alpina.
    Be made aware that a fair number of Alpina knock-offs are on the market.
    OEM Alpina rims always have a set of numbers cast in the central area detailing the size of the rim and also giving the KBA number that is indicative for the German TÜV (similar to MOT, DOT) such that they know the rim has been tested and is fit for use.
    The knock offs may hold together just as well but be ascertained that no testing has been performed wrt the E31!
    It is a difficult decision who to entrust your life to... :dontknow:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• This may be a crazy way to get a set of Alpinas however see link:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1462272.htm

1991 850i for sale at present, asking £2200 - if from the posts above, a set of 4 will cost at least this, you can get a lovely 8 thrown in for good measure! :driver:
    Take the wheels, stick on an alternative set - will involve an initial spend however you could then flog to someone who fancies doing up this particular 850 for half the price you paid; all-in-all, it may be a way to get a relatively cheaper pair of Alpinas!!!

• Indeed it looks like an alternative albeit in 17" :lol:

The problem with used rims -. even if they come in the right sizes - is curb rash and being out of round.
    Fixing the damage done by previous owners will catapult a seemingly good price pretty close to where the new ones are and in the end you will have something which is somehow "repaired".

Nevertheless the 850 looks darn cheap :laugh:

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• The wheels are approx. $4800 USD with shipping over here from Alpina USA.

The hardware for the wheels is also expensive (locks, cover plate, keys, gaskets, lock cover, emblems) if you're buying wheels that don't come with these items.

You guys have cheaper prices for some things, but here in LA we have sunshine :)

Cheers

PS. I've never seen nor heard of knock off E31-specific staggered 18" Alpina wheels. Have you gents in Europe seen them?

• Now come on - send us sunshine, we make you a good price for Alpinas :D

I do not remember whether the exact set of rims was offered as "replica" but there certainly ain´t a shortage of them. See eg Ebay item 290394817360
    or search result.
    Selllers tyically hide the fact they´re not selling the real deal in the fine print calling it Alpina style or similar.
    Alpina reportedly cracks down on sellers offering counterfeit products but once you eradicate one two new ones will take the spot ;)
    It is a Quixotic task - they cannot win as long as they are popular, admired & overpriced :D
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• 2-2500euro is not bad for a set of original wheels.

My 19" where 4000 euro pluss rubber.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Cheers for all the advice :)
    Yes they are genuine rims, so will keep an eye out for another pair
    Even if they don't really fit an E31 they might still be of use :toothbrush:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!