Koenig E31

• Whilst browsingon youtube, i have found an interesting video on a Koenig 850i where the owner says the engine is bored out to 6.0 AND then supercharged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnLdOCIjK38

Has anyone got any more info on this car?

Af far as i was aware, Koenig either bored the engine out OR supercharged it. I didnt know that they done both??

I remember reading a Total BMW magazine around 2001 where a UK owner has red 850CSI which was tuned by Koenig. The engine was bored out to 6.3 with 450bhp. The car was LHD though

• That car is a 5.0 and is not supercharged and belongs (now) to a poster on this forum.

You also cannot get 6.3 litres from an M70 engine.

So there you have it BS all the way!

8Tech.

PS, but my CSi does 300mph. :top:

• I have managed to find the magazine from 2001 featuring the koenig 850csi.

The last page is missing from the article but it does say the engine is bored to 6.3.

8Tech, the magazine is Total BMW, and is from february 2001. Your car appeared in the following month.

• But some genius people in this board know for sure that every block bored up to 6 liters or more
    will ruin your bank account easily and very soon.

Take your 8-series like it is:
    A fine "Grand Touismo" with a 12-room burner.
    Not a race car, not a wagon to pimp up.

It´s almost a car like Mercedes SEC, Porsche 928, Ferrari 412 or a Jag XJS...

...it´s almost a Gentleman-Coupé!

Not more
    but even not less than that.

Cheers, Max

Der Mensch ist das Maß aller Dinge Protagoras

• Zitat von Genius;75443

I have managed to find the magazine from 2001 featuring the koenig 850csi.

The last page is missing from the article but it does say the engine is bored to 6.3.

8Tech, the magazine is Total BMW, and is from february 2001. Your car appeared in the following month.

I must be wrong then. :banghead:

He obviously found a way of sealing the cylinders when there was no metal left between the bores and the pistons are rubbing against each other. Square pistons maybe?

The M8 article also points out to the 2 throttle bodies, which look remarkably like MAF's in the front corners of the engine bay rather than the 12 that look like throttle bodies on the intakes and the "huge 305mm discs and 4 pot calipers" when a bog stock 840i has 324mm discs with 4 pots and a stock CSi has 345mm discs with 4 pots. It cannot be a typo for 405mm either as you need 20" wheels for that size.

Same article states "6064cc from a bore and stroke of 86mm x 87mm, the max that can be achieved from the M70 cylinder block". This statement is correct although at that stroke the rod length causes an excessive rod angle and vastly increased bore wear.

Additionally, it states " 12 trunks from the massive airboxes" these are actually plenum chambers, the car has the stock appearing airboxes in the front corners of the engine bay, ahead of the MAF's.

I think he needs a proof reader who is more technician than journalist.

8Tech.

• Zitat von Argonaut;75454

That video is really terrible, it's almost impossible to understand what he's mumbling about. WTF is he on about with "Shotties"? (exhaust I presume is what he means).
    Some of the comments on the youtube are quite amusing

Maybe yo need to be from da hood to translate it man, yo, check it aht.

• Zitat von Genius;75443

The problem with this is that the owner of the car may well have told this and the reporter duly jotted it down not knowing any better :dontknow:

8Tech has given the max. figures for any M70/S70/M73 block.

The bored V12 engines one could/can buy and based on that BMW V12 design are specced at 6.0 (Hartge, Alpina) or 6.1L (Hamann) max.
    Noelle (ex-Alpina engine constructor) still does the 6.0L conversions with M73 engines - effectively the same as E38 B12 6.0 - but the last example I heard of did not really last long and the 6.0L Alpina engines have a history that is not exactly inspiring confidence.

The fine print as to how and why this is so were laid out by Ed Raether (MWrench) on several occasions.
    Link 1 - Roadfly
    Link 2 - Roadfly

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thanks 8Tech for clearing it up. :top:

I see the Racing Dynamics site has got it wrong as it says the M70 can be bored to 7.0!! http://www.racdyn.com/Localize…E31/RD_Int_8_E31_Body.htm

• :winkwink: I´m reffering to Mr. Steiner from Albrex:

Only three M70 SC 6,0l where built.
    Since the critical border of raising the engine displacement was nearly exeeded, we had to lower the sc pressure comparing with the 5,0l - so the benefit was not that conclusive.
    We only won between 30 and 40 HP - not very economic if you compare it with the immense effort to get a 6,0l engine...
    All these engines where implantated in E31s.

And Walter Koenig told me:

We never made a 6,0l KS8 - I only know of one unsatiesfied customer who wanted more than ~ 450 HP and got an engine from H&H Motorsport.
    But this engine - and the company too - detonated a long time ago... :aetsch:

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• I wonder where they are now!
    what hp did the 6ltr none sc produce. 450 ish tops is my guess
    add 40 hp to that 490 hp.
    not worth the effort imo.
    I wonder if any of the 3 are on the register andif they are European or US cars?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!