Just Had BMW Oil Service

• Just thought I would post the outcome of my recent oil service. All work completed was (price in GBP):

Oil service/filter - 184.93
    Coolant replacement - 98.21
    Fuel Filter - 74.23!
    Air Filter - 32.06
    Brake Fluid - 70.15
    Secured lose part of front splitter - 13.70
    1 passenger wiper blade - 15.17

Total cost - 573.93 with the labour discount and VAT!

Doesn't seem majorly unreasonable....fuel filter price though :ahhhhh:

The only thing they recommended needed done was the rubber boot on the o/s track rod end and the o/s rear trailing arm bush was worn.

Price quote to fix the trailing bush with KDS alignment - 347.31!! 120 for the arm and 180 for the alignment!!

How does this sound? Would it be worth getting this work checked out by an independent and performed there if necessary?

Any thoughts? Was a sting to the bank balance but I feel better all the fluids filters etc. have been changed.

:winkwink:

• Out here in The Wild West:

Oil & oil change & oil filter price in the USA: Mobil 1 Synthetic 8.5l + OEM oil filter = $80 USD

OEM air filter = $12

840 Fuel Filter = $22

Brake Fluid, 2 cans of ATE Dot 4 Super Blue Racing = $12 x 2

blade and splitter repair: ?

Coolant replacement: 1 jug of coolant, OEM, $19.98

labor for coolant drain and bleed, install for blade, splitter secure, air filter, oil filter, oil drain, fuel filter install... An hour or 1.5 hours? So labor is $100 give or take.

• Agreed its not cheap. It would have been but I requested all of the other stuff over and above the oil service. I guess I wanted the BMW stamp as it was just an oil service. Seeing as it is the only penny I have needed to spend on the car, In a year and a half, I don't suppose it is too bad.

Alas, I do think it is time to look elsewhere. BMW said my rear trailing arm bush is worn. What would this cost to replace both of them at an independent?

• Hi! I'm just going down the same road concerning the trailing arm bushing.

Garry sells some with new bushings. You could contact him.
    I've decided to go with new BMW bushings (total cost approx. 170 EUR). I will disassemble the trailing arms tomorrow (going through an intense repair weekend) and then bring them to BMW next week to fit the bushings (as I don't have a press).

New trailing arms are terrible expensive (300EUR for one + VAT).

• Rear bushings are a pain in the buttocks to replace. While you're at it, you should replace all the rear bushings at the same time. The reason is because you gotta drop most of the rear end to access the bushings/joints. Save big on labour and do it all once.

Don't do this at BMW. I'm sure it'll cost over $1000usd if you do so. Some of the parts alone are pricey. I couldn't imagine what the stealer would overcharge you just in parts alone. Buy all the parts yourself, then find an indy mechanic who'll do the job.

• Zitat von Koizumi;75968

Rear bushings are a pain in the buttocks to replace. While you're at it, you should replace all the rear bushings at the same time. The reason is because you gotta drop most of the rear end to access the bushings/joints. Save big on labour and do it all once.

Don't do this at BMW. I'm sure it'll cost over $1000usd if you do so. Some of the parts alone are pricey. I couldn't imagine what the stealer would overcharge you just in parts alone. Buy all the parts yourself, then find an indy mechanic who'll do the job.

What do you consider "all" rear bushings? There are at least two dozen bushings back there... and the trailing arms are the easies to remove... For some of them the complete rear axle, including diff and exhausts needs to be removed. Then completely disassembled.

look at that fuc**er... every number hast at least one bushing.. Number 1 has 4 bushings (!)..

I agree with you in such that "all" rear bushings should be replaced. But, seriously, I think that's a whole lot more work than "just" the trailing arms (which are a pain in the ass too, as I'm sure to find out tomorrow)..

As far as I go.. I really, really hope that the rear axle vibration comes from the trailing arm bushings, alone...

• You are right, it is seemingly not needed to replace all the bushings. I guess what I meant was to replace all visibly worn bushings and as many other ones as your wallet can afford. It's a lot of work :( If you can do it yourself, you can take the time slowly to bo it correctly at a leisurely pace... And save a lot of labour fees!

I need to replace some of these bushings, too. I'm going to swap in a CSi rear sway bar while I have my rear end dropped. In other words, this is the time to upgrade the rear sway bar while everything is dropped and out of the way.

Cheers

• I will have the urethane trailing arm bushes in around 4-6 weeks if you can wait. They will only be a little more expensive than the OEM ones and HALF the price of the Alpina ones.

They are being made by the same company that make them for the WRC Mitsubishi Evo's and WRC Ford Focus', hence the delay. We were rather low down on their priority list.

8Tech.

• hi Gerry, put me down for a set of the bushes... need this doing asap really, just trying to find someone to do it all at a good price ;) are you still looking at the rear subframe swap??

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Zitat von Benji 840Ci Sport;76018

hi Gerry, put me down for a set of the bushes... need this doing asap really, just trying to find someone to do it all at a good price ;) are you still looking at the rear subframe swap??

Not a subframe swap but as those bushes are not easy to replace, I may well offer an exchange service with newly blasted and powder coated trailing arms with all new bushes fitted, the urethane front ones and OEM rears.

This will save a lot of time and effort and you should be able to do the job then in a couple of hours.

8Tech.

• Zitat von Fatandre;76029

Tell me one thing guys. I thought you could only get the rear bushings from the dealer. Correct me if I am wrong. I am now planing on doing the whole suspension.

Yes, that WAS the case but as I have now had new urethane front bushings designed and manufactured for the front of the trailing arms, that is no longer the case.

This is not a confirmed price but I expect the following pricing here in the UK:

OEM Bushes........OK..........£61.28 each
    Phoenix Urethane.....excellent......£80.00 each
    Alpina.............V Good..............£181.00 each.

All should be good for 100,000m+ but the urethane and Alpina's will stay better for longer and be more precise. If they can take the abuse of WRC Rally cars then our E31's will be pretty gentle on them in comparison with far less travel required.

8Tech.

• Zitat von Fatandre;76029

Tell me one thing guys. I thought you could only get the rear bushings from the dealer. Correct me if I am wrong. I am now planing on doing the whole suspension.

Do you mean: Only the rear bushings of the trail arms?
    Well then you would be wrong. I bought all four bushings (for two trailarms with each two bushings) from the dealer.

However.. feeling quite annoyed with me.. maybe I should have gone with Gerry.. but it's too late..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!