steering wheel replacement

• Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed a zillion times, but can anyone give me a quick summary of which 3-spoke "sports" steering wheels would be suitable as a direct replacement to the standard 4-spoke version on a March 1999, RHD, 840ci?

I've guess most pre-99, twin-stage airbag, wheels would be OK? (like, e38 multifunction??) or is it just those from the e36?

• Zitat von arnie;77218

I've guess most pre-99, twin-stage airbag, wheels would be OK? (like, e38 multifunction??)

No. Only BMW steering wheels with airbag made after April 1999 have dual-stage airbags. The E31 was never available with dual-stage airbag and hence does not support it. That doesn't mean you cannot fit a dual-stage airbag wheel with a few modifications, but even though it will not throw airbag errors, there is strong evidence the airbag will not deploy properly in a crash.

The same goes for steering wheels with multifunction buttons. None of those were available on the E31 so there isn't a plug and play replacement. Once again, it's possible to install such steering wheels but the buttons will not work. However, Martin made a module that enables the use of the multifunction buttons in the E31.

So if you are looking for a simple plug-and-play swap, get an E36 wheel from before April 1999. This date is important because the production of some steering wheels was continued after that date but with a dual-stage airbag and different slip ring while there is no visual difference to their previous single-stage versions.

Two popular 3-spoke choices for the E31 are following steering wheels:

Airbag Sports Steering Wheel 2 (part number 32 34 1 162 097 [E31] or 32 34 1 092 050 [E36] or 32 34 1 093 354 [E36] + airbag 32 34 1 092 762)

(picture taken from bmw5.co.uk)

M Sports Steering Wheel Airbag (part number 32 34 2 228 230 [E36 M3] + airbag 32 34 2 229 030)

(picture taken from bmwmregistry.com)

• Zitat von revtor;77222

No. Only BMW steering wheels with airbag made after April 1999 have dual-stage airbags. The E31 was never available with dual-stage airbag and hence does not support it.....

Hello,

Thank you for the quick replies. I wasn't thinking of fitting a dual-stage airbag model, but was wondering whether any Pre-99 steering wheel would fit, or whether it was only e36 steering wheels that are compatible?

I like the sports model with the round centre-boss. I don't mind having the remote buttons on the wheel even if they don't work.

I found that there are a number of these wheels with remote-control buttons from e38 and 339 that are being broken for spares and was wondering whether these steering wheels would fit (pre-99, of course)?

I have also found the:
    M Sports Steering Wheel Airbag (part number 32 34 2 228 230 [E36 M3] + airbag 32 34 2 229 030)

and this is the one I will probably get. is it a straight swap-over with this wheel??

Thank you.

• Zitat von arnie;77228

but was wondering whether any Pre-99 steering wheel would fit, or whether it was only e36 steering wheels that are compatible?

Simply put any BMW steering wheel manufactured during the production of the E31 can be used. But depending on the year it may require minor modifications to fit. The reason is in the slip ring on the back of the steering wheel. There are no less than 4 different slip rings for the E31:

Steering wheels without airbag:
    32 31 1 159 065

Steering wheels with airbag:
    32 34 1 160 901 (up to September 1993): External slip ring for the horn, internal clock spring flat cable for the airbag. Orange connector for the airbag with brown and blue wires.
    32 34 1 162 804 (from September 1993): External slip ring for the horn, internal clock spring band cable for the airbag. Black and orange connector for the airbag with brown and blue wires.
    32 34 1 162 111 (from September 1994): Internal clock spring band cable for the airbag and horn. Black and orange connector for the airbag with white and red wires, black and white connector for the horn with brown and blue wires.

While slip ring 32 34 1 162 804 did replace slip ring 32 34 1 160 901 in September 1993, it wasn't replaced by slip ring 32 34 1 162 111 in September 1994. The last two slip rings were used along each other depending on the type of steering wheel.

If your currently installed steering wheel has the same 32 34 1 162 111 slip ring as the late E36 M3 steering wheel you are looking at, the swap is plug-and-play. If not, you are looking against a few minor and easy modifications.

Assuming your currently installed 4-spoke steering wheel is the original wheel for a 1999 840Ci (e.g. not replaced by a previous owner, if any), it can be only one the following two:

Steering Wheel Airbag (32 34 1 162 110:( default truck style 4-spoke steering wheel. Uses slip ring 32 34 1 162 111.
    M Technic Steering Wheel Airbag (32 34 2 227 750:( M Technic version of the 4-spoke steering wheel. Easily recognizable by the thumbrests and M Technic tricolor stitching. Uses slip ring 32 34 1 162 804.

So if yours is the first one, you are looking forward to an easy and straightforward swap.

For more detailed information, refer to steering wheel swap at E31Wiki.org.

Zitat

I like the sports model with the round centre-boss. I don't mind having the remote buttons on the wheel even if they don't work.
    I found that there are a number of these wheels with remote-control buttons from e38 and 339 that are being broken for spares and was wondering whether these steering wheels would fit (pre-99, of course)?

As long as the wheel is pre April 1999, it will fit. But note that the multifunction steering wheels use yet another slip ring. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the slip ring will work in the E31 too (with a few unused wires of course), but if not and you do not wish to make the buttons work, you could simply swap the slip ring with that of your current steering wheel (assuming you have the non M Technic 4-spoke).

• Thank you again for a most detailed reply. From the links you kindly provided, I see that there are indeed many different versions of wheels and slip-rings that were used on the 8-series.

The wheel I have at the moment is this one:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/cata…ng/steering_wheel_airbag/

I have now ordered one of these from ebay. Apparently, it's off an e36, M3 evo.

I'll post some pictures after I have fitted it.

UPDATE:

Just re-read your post and realised that I currently have the M-tchnic steering wheel. I thought that all the 4-spoke versions were the same, ...but apparently not.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/cata…ic_steering_wheel_airbag/

However, i think I still prefer the 3-spoke design, also because it hase a "proper" badge in the centre.

• Multifunction.. works

if you need Multifunction you can use it!
    Martin has built an Adaptor! (TMS) for V8 and V12 models.. So you can use the Buttons like OEM ;)

This is the one i will use..
    Wires are ready..

Parts you also need to change to use the OEM E39 Slip Ring

Picture of the Parts

Parts numbers are:
    32.31-1 162 088 the black holder.. the white pin is in the other side..(left is new.. right is old)
    61 13 8 365 307 Universal housing (Blue)
    61 13 8 365 309 Lock for the Housing (small black peace)
    Some Pins or wires with the pins.. and the old connector from Tempomat
    And.. the TMS Module... Please ask Martin ;)

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• My Slip Ring is from the E39 E38 Mod 99 Single Stage Airbag!
    i only needed to change the holder and reconect the horn!
    32 34 1 094 261 Slip Ring

But.. Different Models different modifications.. it depends on your model which other modifications you have to do..
    Look at revtors post.. ;) You can use this Slip Ring from 1994 up with less modifications..

Greez!
    Richard

PS:... Martin has made a good description about the modifications.. also with different steering wheels..

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• Has anybody ever had their steering wheel re-leathered? Is this a viable alternative to replacing as I would like to keep the original wheel but would like a slightly thicker and better feel. Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

• Zitat von Nifty50;77256

Has anybody ever had their steering wheel re-leathered?

That's exactly what I did. I also wanted to keep the original look, so I chose to refurbish the old one. We have here in Germany (and Austria) a couple of trusty manufacturers (which won't probably be of any use for you in GB... :oops: ).
    Original BMW leather and slightly thicker feel (stuffed up). I'm very satisfied with it. :top:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• I think I'll have to go for a recovering of my steering wheel. It's getting a bit too "polished"
    it's a four spoke one with coloured stitching, I'd rather keep it stock looking but with A slightly more padded feel, as you say those german guys can do.
    What was the price over there?

• Zitat

I'd rather keep it stock looking but with A slightly more padded feel, as you say those german guys can do.
    What was the price over there?

About 130 Euro +- 20 EUR depends on stitches and extras.. ;)

• Zitat von Herminator;77483

Can't seem to access that thread :(

Hmm strange , but heres the info

New steering wheel mounted in my CSI.

Bought this from a guy on Ebay that refurbish BMW steeringwheel's
    It has now M stitch , tumb rest ,and are ticker then an original one
    And Crome SRS airbag sign :smile:

Wheel came complete with airbag and Steering column switch bracket, p/n 32 31 1 162 088 that was needed to swap from "old style " to new style.
    link and mail to seller is here

Dimitri Maar [dimitrimaar@bk.ru]
    Link : http://motors.shop.ebay.com/ta…nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

As well as two link's here that explains hove to.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/w…1_Steering_Wheel_Swap.htm
    http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3s…series_steering_wheel.php

Regards
    Terje

• Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind for when I get around to doing it.
    It seems a lot of people don't like the four spoke steering wheel, that article even calls it a tractor wheel :laugh:
    I must be one of the few that does like it, I think it suits the style of the car.

I may try buying one off ebay, getting it re-leathered, then swapping it with mine and selling mine on. I wouldn't want to be without my car for a week or two, not at the moment anyway.

• You can also get the 4 spoke steering wheel releathered ;)

I know that my contact has 3 or 4 different Styles oft the 4spoke steering wheel ;)
    So feel free and ask :)
    May you can also exchange with paying a guarantee which is refunded when your replacement arrives..

i have 2 4 spoke Wheels (Ci and CSI until 9/93) version on stock (original leather not yet reurbished)
    because i changed the original to M-Style and then to the 3Spoke with MFL

greet Richard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!