"Undertray"

• I've seen "undertray" mentioned in posts here on several occasions.
    The underside of my engine bay (behind the radiator) is exposed to the elements, unlike every other German car I've owned, so I assumed mine was missing and went to BMW to see about getting a new undertray.
    "There isn't one listed for your car sir".
    :hmmmm:

• I think you are referring to item 11, which is found in the category "sound insulation". May be around GBP £15. Most BMW in the last 10-15 years have these trays, which are a PITA if you do your own oil changes.

• I was kind of thinking of a moulded plastic tray to keep the weather off the ancillary components.
    I can't see where it would mount, so have my doubts.

• I've just been to check my new 840 and can see that bottom of the oil-pan is flush with the lower cross-members and there is no cover. (Obviously, I've not yet done an oil change on it or I would have known.).

But, these 8-series also have fairly minimal under-wheel-arch plastic-covers compared to more recent models. So, maybe that's how it's meant to be?

• As I said - couldn't see where it would mount, but if the sump pan is level with the cross-member (which I hadn't noticed) there wouldn't be room anyway.

Guess the 8 is meant to have a "bare bottom" ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!